Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 13 February 2009, 05:09
Authorized Personnel

Just a reminder that you must always be on your toes.

About 2 hrs ago, one of our guys had a pipe bomb explode in front of his house on his kid's car. He said it shook him out of bed. No suspect's yet, still investigating. In the last couple of weeks, there have been other incidents in the area where LEO's have been targeted in other ways too.

Please, stay vigilant, and don't let your guard down. These events can happen at any time, to any of us.

"OK, so we can agree you've been drinking. Now I know you've had at least 2, the first one and the last one, but now we need to figure out how many there were in between."-Me, I-35
Old 13 February 2009, 07:49
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Night time surveillance cameras are cheap, and can give you an idea who is doing it... Also, those game tracking cameras come in infra-red, and can go for days, snapping photos and videos. Shitbags never know they are there.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 13 February 2009, 08:24
Been There Done That

This is an excellent thread. Keep compiling ideas and updating links as they are refreshed!

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 29 March 2009, 22:57

Facebook and Twitter can be fun social network tools and the people who can view your updates must be approved by you. But I can't tell you how often a LE friend or wife says, "Just put the kids to bed. I'm off to the gym for a workout" or "Heading out to ABC restaurant, we got a sitter tonight."
These sights are fine for keeping in touch with friends but it's foolish to be giving out hourly updates of the location of yourself and your family.
Old 30 March 2009, 02:42
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

IMHO, LEOs should not have thier face on those things, but thats just me.
Old 2 May 2009, 23:51
Banned User

PERSEC

In Florida for example: State Statutes allow for sworn officers have their local Property Appraiser and Tax Collector hide their property records and tax records from public view. (non-searchable)

I know some that do and some that don't.
Old 2 May 2009, 23:55
Banned User

PERSEC Add

I would strongly recommend anyone to reconsider having a Facebook, Twitter, MySpace page.

These things can be embarrassing if you have anything objectionable and it is found by someone that has an 'axe' to grind with you.

Myself I am a 'minimalist' and recommend that everyone have a very shallow footprint on the web.
Old 11 June 2009, 13:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian K. Sain View Post
Just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get ya.

That said ... pretty tough on PERSEC with a squad sitting in your driveway ...

Just sayin' ...
X2 on the Police vehicle in the driveway. Mine is impossible to miss. Not to mention all the kids in the neighborhood think it Grave Digger's little brother.

All of the info share here is excellent. I just got my info redaction packet from my Sup and plan on getting it turned in shortly.

The biggest thing I agree with here for immediate protection is carrying your GUN everywhere. I admit that I had gotten laxed on doing this but, I had a reminder two summers ago at the local gas station why it is important to alway be able to protect yourself, your family and the public in general.
Old 11 June 2009, 13:09
Confirmed User

I used to be really good at privacy when I was in Cali/NW. Ups store address for everything, etc.

I had 2 incidents out here in a week that shook me up.

1st incident a formerly convicted cocaine trafficker went into a police uniform store after I did and said he had been in an accident with me and needed all my info, which they gave him.

Nothing happened, and there is more to the story, but it ain't all that exciting. Needless to say I ripped them a new one.

2nd Incident a guy followed me home and I somehow didn't see him following me.

He was all upset because I cut across a 4x4 trail to make a right turn (out in the country) instead of waiting for the light.

Magicjack sucks as a phone but if you get one it will give you a voicemail that emails you when you have a message, even if the thing isn't plugged in. Not a bad idea to give this number to everyone except family and friends.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11 June 2009, 15:30
Confirmed User

[QUOTE=BadMuther;1161325]I used to be really good at privacy when I was 2nd Incident a guy followed me home and I somehow didn't see him following me.

He was all upset because I cut across a 4x4 trail to make a right turn (out in the country) instead of waiting for the light.

It never ceases to amaze me how some idiot is willing to risk his life over something this minor. Even more, those very people don't realize the risk they are actually taking. Good thing he ran into you (a person of sound judgement) rather than some crackhead with means to do bad things.

I hope that shitbag didn't have his family in the car when he chose to be "billy badass, I'll show him". Glad it worked out to be nothing more for you.

Stay Safe,
LR out...
Old 11 June 2009, 17:04
Confirmed User

Exactly brother. People feel the need to be road cop and think nothing of driving 90 mph to tell you that they thought you were speeding, didn't come to a complete stop, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 8 August 2009, 08:40
Important nobody

Wait till some jackass accidentally gives out your new home address to defense lawyers in regard to discovery so you can be subpoened for an O.C. trial AFTER you've separated from the job. I was ready to blow a gasket.....and ran down to the Courthouse post haste for a carry permit. Fortunately the trial never came to pass because a few guys bellied up and died, and everyone else plead out, but I was looking over my shoulder for months........
Old 15 August 2009, 07:45
Authorized Personnel

Not sure about all states or counties in your state but in mine I can get on the county appraiser’s site and look up your address just by a last name. Not much you can do about that but something to check into. Some say you should put your house in your wife's name but knowing how often LEO's get the big D you might very easily loose your house. If you drive your POV to work make sure you change up routes back home, don’t take the same way home every day. Also use a PO Box instead of your physical address. When people ask me what I do I usually tell them I am a fireman, everyone loves those pole sliders. As for your house specifically the alarm stuff is all common sense but I think knowing your neighbors is the best thing. I have a take home car in front of my house so it is hard to hide the fact a cop lives there. But I know my neighbors and the kids around my house; they keep an eye out for me during the day since I work nights. Hope this helps out but like others has already said, if someone wants to know stuff about you all they have to do is Google you and they have it.

Good luck and be safe!
Old 15 August 2009, 11:01
Psi Brr
Visitor

I don't know if this will help the LEOs here, but it severely curtailed odd contacts from outside sources for me. At the minimum it can help reduce your public exposure. This link leads to info that will help anyone opt-out of some of the public databases. http://www.squidoo.com/personalInformation

Stay safe folks, we rely on you. Beyond your own self-preservation, your well-being should be our responsibility. Thanks for getting our backs.

Last edited by Psi Brr; 15 August 2009 at 11:06.
Old 17 March 2010, 08:33
sterious scizor

Old thread, but regarding magicjack, you can get free voicemail from google voice. I've used it some, comes with a seperate number to give out to people as well.

Seen while driving in NoVa last night: thin blue line stickers with plate reading "Title18"....then thin blue line stickers with LEO memorial plate reading "NAT#_"...guessing it's their FBI NAT number....ugh
Old 19 July 2010, 10:17
Buzzards gotta eat.

Security when traveling

I remembered this thread when I bought a neat little item a few days ago. I thought I would share it here.

The Squad Leader and I were in Wal-Mart the other day checking out. On one of the end caps by the registers I saw a security device that was pretty neat. Nothing new...one of those alarms that makes an ear piercing noise. The neat thing was it was two pieces. It works when the pieces are seperated. Like put double faced tape on each piece, one on the door, one on the jamb touching each other. When they seperate (door or window opens) the alarm goes off. It has an on / off switch too.

This thing only cost $1.88 and runs off watch batteries.

I thought it was pretty cool for hotels and such to wake you if someone tries to get in while you are sleeping. We all know what a joke hotel electronic door locks are. Or even cruise ships. Whatever. Anyway I already threw away the package and there is no writing on the actual product so sorry I can't say who makes this thing.

Anyway check your Wal-Mart. It may be the only thing in there that's worth a shit anymore!

Stay Safe

S1
Old 29 July 2010, 19:28
Animal Tamer

Hotel Alarms

I think we mentioned hotel door alarms a few pages ago on this thread but am not sure. I recently bought one like the one pictured here on Ebay for about $10 including shipping. They will literally hurt your ears and scare the shit out of you even when you know it's about to go off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSAL-2.jpg (8.1 KB, 194 views)
Old 29 July 2010, 19:29
Animal Tamer

Anyone have any experience with home surveillance NV camera systems? I need about 5 cameras, a monitor, and a DVR to record. I would like to keep the cost manageable.
Old 30 July 2010, 06:33
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMarshal View Post
I think we mentioned hotel door alarms a few pages ago on this thread but am not sure. I recently bought one like the one pictured here on Ebay for about $10 including shipping. They will literally hurt your ears and scare the shit out of you even when you know it's about to go off.
Got my LEO wife one for Christmas :) along with a luggage scale ! (and some diamond stud earrings)

Old 20 August 2010, 12:48

My husband and I are former correctional officers, as are my mother and step-father. My two oldest sons are also correctional officers. I got a call at work one day a few years ago from my son who was working at a different facility than I and he was livid. They were conducting a cell search and while flipping through some legal paperwork they found his and quite a few other officers' personal information - Full name, address and phone number. After taking it up front and having appropriate phone calls made, they were told that the inmate had a right to that information and that it was given to him by his defense attorney. That particular inmate had a long criminal history and had recently been charged with arson and riot at the facility. All responding officers were now considered witnesses and as such their information was on the witness list provided to the defense. That was the first time I've ever heard of a defense attorney giving more than names and ranks to his client; I can even understand the attorney having/needing all of it, but what purpose did it serve for the defendant to have it? My son has since moved and now works at a fed facility, but I seriously doubt all the officers who were involved can say as much.

Also, we were all advised that if you worked for the state of WV, all of your income data is published on line yearly. I understand to a certain extent the need of FOIA, but shouldn't there be a line drawn somewhere?

Our new posting rules