Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 7 February 2009, 23:58

Good post guy's, I'll add one to the mix.

You can do the same things wrong in this job a million times and be just fine. You will never know when your shortcuts will get you killed until it's too late.
Old 28 February 2009, 00:58

Don't fuck over your zone partner.
Don't take short cuts.
Don't fall asleep.
Don't take your family out for a free meal in uniform, fucking embarrassing.
Learn to shoot with your off hand.
Don't write a LEO a ticket, for fucks sake. Plenty of fish in the sea.
If IA asks you a question, chances are they already know the answer.
Take it easy. Your career is not a sprint it is a marathon.

Zero Viz Diver out...
Old 21 March 2009, 02:58
Confirmed User

Five years at this dept, coupled with a few more at another, and sometimes I still feel like the rookie. Much good advice there and definitely time to refresh the memory on much of it. Thanks for looking out for the rest of us.
Old 21 March 2009, 12:17
Confirmed User

Conduct every traffic stop extending the olive branch of peace; while having a tactical plan to kill everyone inside the vehicle. - Gordon Graham
Old 29 March 2009, 16:03
Been There Done That

Some of the ones I like to pass on to my new guys are.

Be polite,be professional, but have a plan on how to kill everyone you meet.

There's a big difference between being present and having PRESENCE.

If things go to SHIT you have the rest of your life to apply the skills you've been taught so learn them well.
Old 29 March 2009, 18:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
3. Keep your mouth shut...

9. Did I mention keep your mouth shut?
Sage advice, these two.
Old 29 March 2009, 19:11
Banned 26FEB10

Don't make the mistake of treating the office staff, evidence techs, and dispatchers as if they are lesser mortals because they aren't sworn police officers.

The people who deal with the paperwork all day long have the ability to cover your butt by correcting a multitude of little mistakes you WILL end up making on reports, evidence forms, and in many other aspects of the job. They will fix things without a word being said if they like you.

If they think you are a jerk because you treated them badly even once, they can do a good job of making your life hell, including making sure that your supervisory staff hears about every single minor error you make.
Old 6 April 2009, 00:20
Clorox bearer for SOTB

In light of recent events...

If you are approaching a house, or a domestic call, park your car out of sight of the house, take a covert approach, and take time to stop, look, and listen. Try to get locations on the people you need to contact, and have your dispatcher get as much info on the people you are going to deal with as possible. Have them run prior incidents, firearms records (if available), and ASK if there are firearms in the house before you get there. If there is a chance you will be in danger, there is nothing wrong with having the dispatcher call the house, while you are behind cover, and having the people you need to talk to exit the house and come to you. Information is power. Get as much information as possible BEFORE you approach the house. If it is a dangerous person, never hesitate to call your tactical teams. They exist for a reason. Use them.

A quick note... At night I always covertly approached houses when dispatched there for domestic disturbance calls. NEVER drive up to the front door. You would be AMAZED at the info you can gather standing outside a window in the dark, listening to the suspect make admissions, or the supposed victim advising the suspect she is going to lie to the cops when they get there to get him locked up... It works. Just be aware of little things like motion lights, and dogs that don't bark, but wait quietly for dinner to approach... and dog shit. This approach also works in the daytime too, you just have to aproach the house or area from cover/concealment.

Never, ever, go on a domestic call alone. Never. When you arrive, have your partner take up a concealed position with a clear line of fire into the doorway you are approaching. Never go to the door together. After you make contact, anyone in the house should be surprised at the appearence of your partner, from behind his position of cover (with his rifle). Also, don't be afraid to carry a rifle or shotgun on your person. It does you very little good locked in your trunk, or in a gun rack, or back at the station. If you are going to assume anything, assume people will try to kill you. You just might be right.

If you ever get that "6th sense" feeling that you are in a location that puts you in danger, or tactical disadvantage, MOVE to a better location. God gave us those senses for a reason...

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 9 April 2009, 07:40
Aww F**K it

Excellent post Grog.

When dealing with citizens, if it felt good saying it, it was wrong.
Never refer to someone in respiratory distress as a "Smurf"

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 10 April 2009, 22:29

Don't be ruled by emotion, just because somone deserves to have their face pushed in its not worth your job, and think before you act if you have the luxury of time.
Old 11 April 2009, 00:23
Confirmed User

Do the right thing.
Old 2 May 2009, 23:59
Banned User

Adding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Here's Sharky's 10 rules about being a cop:

1. Just do your job. It's not personal so dont make it personal.

2. When the shift is over, let it be over unless you are forced to do otherwise by circumstance. Dont be that idiot out pulling over the citizenry in your POV for speeding with your blue dash light that you bought from Galls.

3. Keep your mouth shut. Don't be a part of the gossip circles who are constantly talking shit about other officers. Those same guys are talking shit about YOU when you're not around.

4. Find the guy that everyone in the Dept (and on the street) respects and watch how he handles difficult situations.

5. Dont make bad situations worse.

6. Treat people like you would want a cop to treat your mother unless they wont let you. Not everyone is a scumbag.

7. If there has to be a fight and there's no way around it, you better be the first one to pile on. Dont be that jackass that escalates the situation until it comes time to fight then he vaporlocks and stands there with his thumb in his ass.

8. Understand that not everyone out there is in such awe of your badge and gun as you are. For some, it's simply something they would dearly love to stick up your ass.

9. Did I mention keep your mouth shut?

10. And most important, always remember that that badge will get you pussy, but that pussy will also get your badge.

Never ever tell a lie. No matter if it is minor or not. If a Defense Attorney has you on a stand in a major case and has you telling fibs you will blow the work of all the officers and prosecutors that worked the case.

Where I live, if a sworn LEO is caught in any type of lie, no matter how small they are terminated post haste w/o regard for any time on the job or rank in the agency.
Old 3 May 2009, 00:05
Banned User

One more thing

Invest in a small pocket size digital voice recorder. Something that has the capability for you to download voice files to your computer with a date and time stamp.

It can be invalueable in filling out Field Contact Cards and when writing reports or recalling events of a Field Contact when questioned by a Prosecutor about a case. (DUI, Domestic Violence etc...Anything you can think of)
Old 3 May 2009, 08:28
True Believer

Here's my piece of advice (more of a warning I guess) from one new guy for all the other new guys who haven't started yet... Field training sucks!

Challenges: I expected times like this- But I never thought they'd be so bad, so long, and so frequent.
Old 27 June 2009, 01:58

Some more

-Respect the older guys, watch what they do and learn from it, both good and bad
-Don't let aggrenaline control you, you control it. You will either get slammend for excesive force or get your ass kicked.
-You aren't going to save the world but you may make a small part of it a better place.
-Just because you had a bad day doesn't give you the right to treat the 85 year old lady who locked herself out of her house (again) like crap.
-No matter what you think you are not gods gift to law enforcement. Check your ego at the door.
-Admit it when your wrong. You are still human.
-Learn to laught at yourself, life is to short to take everything seriously.
-Don't wear your sidearm exposed next to your badge on your belt when you go out to diner with your family. Every body sitting around you will think you're a complete ass.
-The PD is not your home, it's where you work!!!
-Enjoy your time as a cop, it's a great show!
-My biggest pet peve, IF YOU DON'T LIKE PEOPLE YOU ARE IN THE WRONG JOB!!!!

Just my observations after 23+ years
Old 11 July 2009, 20:17
Confirmed User

That 75% divorce rate is low for my state. The last time I heard the figures the divorce rate for LEO's in Florida was 96%. For two LEO's married to each other the rate was 99%.

I'll add this to the list: If your spouse decides to enter law enforcement, make sure he/she joins a different agency. Being out of each other's department rumor mill has gone a LONG way toward keeping my wife and I happy.

Good stuff, this thread.
Old 17 November 2009, 17:46
On the Razor's Edge

Excellent advise! I retired in 1992 but the advise above is as valid now as it was then.

In regards to divorces, don't take your job home. I have been married for 41 years. I rarely spoke of the specifics of what I did at work when I got home. Marry someone who is supportive of you regardless of your career choice. It is your career, not theirs.

If your wife or fiance says "I think you are too good for that job" or "you could do better" you will have major problems in your marriage.
Old 17 November 2009, 19:13
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kifaru View Post
That 75% divorce rate is low for my state. The last time I heard the figures the divorce rate for LEO's in Florida was 96%. For two LEO's married to each other the rate was 99%.

I'll add this to the list: If your spouse decides to enter law enforcement, make sure he/she joins a different agency. Being out of each other's department rumor mill has gone a LONG way toward keeping my wife and I happy.

Good stuff, this thread.
^HAAA! Aint that the truth. Dont pee in your own yard. I know several cops who have in-bred. Nothing good ever comes of it. And if you do, someone better be willing to lateral FAST.
Old 20 January 2010, 23:47

Dont try to be funny when telling the DA how a "frequent flyer" came to be in possession of some blunt trauma injuries (for good cause)...the words "I clubbed him like a baby harp seal" will be engraved on your headstone.

Remember, IA is NOT your friend. There is a reason they are called "The Rat Squad".

"Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations"--good advice and could save your tail, because it will the bad guys.

Excellent advice Sharky and others.
Old 30 January 2010, 15:10

Why we carry on.

Here's an article I read a few years back in American Cop magazine. I make the BLET students read it on the first day of the Academy. Sound advice to add to the other fine members posts.....

Why? Why carry on?

It’s How We’re Wired

You can’t be a cop just because you need a job. You can’t be a peace officer because it’s a steady paycheck and benefits. Not a real cop; not a true peace officer. You can’t do it “to help people,” or “for the nobility of public service.” That’s a load of crap. Those are just excuses, and they wear thin, turn pale.

You don’t enforce the law because “it is necessary to the security of a democratic society,” or because you burn with fervent belief in The Rule of Law. Screw the law. You don’t cleave to the truth on the witness stand while all others lie their asses off because you fear punishment for perjury. Screw fear; piss on punishment. No cop ever sprinted across a bullet-swept parking lot to scoop-and-drag the crossfire victim of a gang turf battle “for love of his fellow citizens.” To hell with that.

You do it for love and law, all right, but it is love of courage, duty and honor; for a law, but that law is your code, and that code is one of courage, duty and honor. Your code demands you enforce and obey the law; to protect and serve without fear or favor; to run into danger when others flee; to stand and deliver where others falter and fail.

And you do it because you can’t help it. It’s stamped in your genes, burned into your DNA like a bar code. In another time, another place, you would have been samurai, knight-errant, warrior-monk, Minuteman. You may not be happy as a modern American cop, but you’d be miserable doing anything else.

If any of this doesn’t ring true for you, then get the hell out now and go sell insurance or install cabinets or something. They can be honorable trades, and you can be a good citizen, but not a real cop, not a true peace officer.
If wailing sirens are playing your song; if you nodded and muttered, “Damn right …” when you read these words, then you’re one of us, and American COP will stand and deliver with you. Because we’ve been there, and done that — because it’s who we are and how we’re wired too.

Our new posting rules