Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 16 December 2011, 10:51
Renuo Victima Esse

Do your absolute best to strike and permenantly remove two words from your vocabulary: "complacency" and "routine". They are two killers that creep in slowly and silently with the passage of time. Often, you never realize "their" presence until it's too late.

In order to keep them at bay, never stop training both physically and mentally in order to keep your mind sharp and alert so that when necessary, your actions (body) will respond the way it should when called upon to do so.

Never get comfortable to the point where your guard is down because things can go "south" in a heartbeat and you don't want it to be your last one. Stay sharp and stay safe!

Last edited by Agoge; 16 December 2011 at 11:16.
Old 16 December 2011, 11:06
Lost to PTSD AUG 2014 RIP Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sheepdog View Post
In order to keep them at bay, never stop training both physically and mentally in order to keep your mind sharp and alert so that when necessary, your actions (body) will respond the way it should when called upon to do so
I'm not in LE, but it's refreshing to read this. I wish the PD in my town adopted this attitude. I just roll my eyes every time I read the blotter and it states "When the Police arrived the suspect fled on foot and is believed to be,....." From the Cops I see in my town,...it's hard not to think that they have been hiding and sliding most of their career. We have a couple hard dudes, but the personal standards are for the most part non-existant. Does your department have on-going PT tests or body mass index standards with consequences? I believe there should be for my tax dollar.
Old 16 December 2011, 11:12
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trig View Post
Does your department have on-going PT tests or body mass index standards with consequences? I believe there should be for my tax dollar.
We did. But, like many other programs, they come and go with no regularity. We do emphasize personal fitness, but ultimately it is incumbent upon the individual to train and stay focused on their current fitness level. Personally, if for no one else or no other reason, I do it for my family. I don't want to orphan my son or cause my wife to become a widow because of something I could have prevented through training.
Old 16 December 2011, 11:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM View Post
If you ask someone a question, and the first thing that comes out of their mouth is, "Huh?", then the next thing that comes out of their mouth is going to be a lie:

"What's your name?"
"Huh?"

The same applies if they repeat your question back to you before answering:

"What's your name?"
"What's my name? It's (insert made up liar liar pants on fire name here)."

Responses like that make me feel a little giddy inside, because I know I just got into something good.
You: Whats your name?

Them: Who me?

Your next move should be pulling out your handcuffs.
Old 17 December 2011, 01:47
Confirmed User

Coming up on 20 years service, I see alot of good avise here. I've heard and re-told many of the same things over the years.

Keep the advise posted here in mind and remember to be professional.

Stay safe.
Old 17 December 2011, 16:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sheepdog View Post
We did. But, like many other programs, they come and go with no regularity. We do emphasize personal fitness, but ultimately it is incumbent upon the individual to train and stay focused on their current fitness level. Personally, if for no one else or no other reason, I do it for my family. I don't want to orphan my son or cause my wife to become a widow because of something I could have prevented through training.
I do it because I dont want to be all broken and fat at my retirement party and die a year later of congestive heart failure like most guys I see. I
was given some advice, dont know if its true bit it was to be prepared to leave police work at 20 yrs. if you decide to do more, fine. But adjust your life so the 20-30 yr mark is because you enjoy the job, not because you have to. Basically be prepared to do something different if you feel like it.
Old 17 December 2011, 18:02
Authorized Personnel

Sheepdog and Flying pig have a good start on the mentality it takes to survive. Your fitness, training and SA, rely on you and you alone. You have to make the decisions on how you are going to be and not look around to see if peers think it is okay. And yes, plan on doing something else, no matter how much you love the job. That will be the only way you will be able to make the transition when you retire and survive. I retired after 27 years and moved into the private sector. I miss two things, helping the people in the community when they needed help, (which I still do when I see the opportunity) and code 7 with the guys. I miss the brotherhood. Don't stop working out just because you make it to retirement, now you finally have time to enjoy your workouts. Think of it this way, I kick my butt today so that I may kick yours tomorrow. Retirement is tough, make sure you can enjoy it.
Old 2 January 2012, 12:52

The list above is one of the best I have had the chance to read. I think most of us could expand on each of them in one way or another from personal experience or knowing someone in our own department that has had to deal with one.

From personal experience, I would add this. If you live in the city/area you patrol or will be doing any type of errands in said area while off duty. Carry your weapon (that you have TRAINED with, in a GOOD holster or practical carry method, that you have also TRAINED with) you never know when you will be standing in a gas station and have the banger you popped 3 weeks earlier with a dope and a pistol (and threatened to kill you, if he ever saw you on the street) come walking into the store.

Luckily, I saw him first. He saw me, turned around, walked back outside and to the passenger side of his car, standing with the door between him and the store. I called my buddy that was on duty and around the corner. I walked out of a side door as the marked unit pulled in and we caught him off guard. Gun charge # 2 for the DB in 3 weeks. No doubt in my mind what his intentions were.

I had my pistol and a plan, luckily, I didn't have to use the pistol, but I had ran the scenario in my head many times before. This was only because I had a few of the Ol' timers pull me aside, when I was the "wet behind the ear, superman, save the world, everybody gets a ticket" rookie. Those Ol' timers gave me a list, much like the one listed above and beat it into my head. Thanks to those guys, I have made it 20 years and try to pass that info on now.

There is a huge difference between prepared and paranoid. Be prepared, both on duty and off. Teach your family (wife, kids, etc.) what to do if you HAVE to react to something when with them off duty.
Old 21 February 2012, 12:42
Confirmed User

^HEll Yes. I was standing in a burger joint in the city I worked in (where I also lived, went to H.S. in grew up in) turned around from the counter with my order and standing right behind me in line was a guy I had shot 4 years earlier. Honestly I think he was more shocked. "How' you doin boss?" was his comment. "Good man, how you doing?" It was an attempted suicide by cop situation. I think Ive told the story here before somewhere. Although that didnt stop his lawyer from trying to sue me for $10 mill. Which he lost.

And No, I didnt have my gun. I was simply making a Home Depot run and decided to grab lunch on my way back home. "Ill only be gone for a minute.......what can happen?"
Old 5 April 2012, 12:28

Like these comments just as relevant for the UK as for US except here we don't usually have firearms backup. Most of us do not even carry tasers. Tends to focus the mind when going to an incident and all you have is a baton and cs spray. Sometimes the cs is more trouble than it's worth. I've been gassed twice by a colleague who was trying to HELP.
Old 21 July 2012, 03:19
True Believer

Can't remember seeing this one yet, but keep in mind the Corrections folks at the jail are an outstanding wealth of intel. If you have a surveillance photo of a guy you're trying to ID, or trying to figure out who goes by the street name "Easy," shoot the info off to the jail folks. They spend a lot more time with these guys than we do, and can often ID your suspects off the top of their head.

Jail records are also great investigative tools. At least in my area, all jail phone calls (except with an attorney) are recorded. All visitors to any inmate are logged. Inmates say some pretty stupid shit on jail calls (knowing full well it's recorded), and the visitor logs can help you discover associates you weren't aware of before (which may or may not be important).

Challenges: I expected times like this- But I never thought they'd be so bad, so long, and so frequent.
Old 27 September 2012, 19:09

Great tips! My FTO was eating at subway and I guess he walked away to use the head, hour later he was vomiting like crazy. Turned out the little puke put some visine on his sandwich.
Old 20 December 2012, 21:48

Well this has really been a great read guys. I honestly can say that I made a lot of stupid mistakes my first year as a LEO. I made the move after my first deployment in 03 and had the messed up mentality that I was superman. Of course being a military LEO did not help this mentality.

I was very ambitious and one of the first officers to all the scenes. I was lucky to make it away without any real serious injuries. As posted above never let your guard down. I was jumped in a local restaraunt from my classmates over a domestic call I had responded to. Personally I also like the tip leave work at work and have a life outside of work. It could save a marriage or two. Great posts guys.

Always watch your rear !
Old 3 January 2013, 21:20

Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs; Dave Grossman

Google that article and read it.

Re-read it once a year to realize why you're hardwired the way you aren't. It makes for a good azimuth check.

Consider a different career if it doesn't resonate.
Old 4 January 2013, 09:57
Important nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trig View Post
I'm not in LE, but it's refreshing to read this. I wish the PD in my town adopted this attitude. I just roll my eyes every time I read the blotter and it states "When the Police arrived the suspect fled on foot and is believed to be,....." From the Cops I see in my town,...it's hard not to think that they have been hiding and sliding most of their career. We have a couple hard dudes, but the personal standards are for the most part non-existant. Does your department have on-going PT tests or body mass index standards with consequences? I believe there should be for my tax dollar.
We had to pass two physicals every year, both doctor oriented and a PT test. You were expected to stay in shape. If you didn't pass the annual PT test (Push-ups, Sit-ups, Run, etc.) you didn't get promoted and it reflected on your record. The thought of failing any part of the PT test in front of the other guys was, well....unthinkable, and you WOULD hear about it. It's something they would not let you forget any time soon.

John
Old 9 March 2013, 19:24

PRICELESS advice/Information. I'm attending the alameda county sheriffs police academy in June to become a California peace officer in the Bay Area. Outstanding post for mental preparation to try to be ahead of the game.
Old 1 December 2013, 23:01
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Google that article and read it.

Re-read it once a year to realize why you're hardwired the way you aren't. It makes for a good azimuth check.

Consider a different career if it doesn't resonate.
What a great read man, thanks for posting.

And thanks for all the advice fellas, all good solid stuff.
Old 13 December 2013, 20:28
Confirmed User

To follow up with what you said, anytime you ask a question and it's answered in this manner: "not that I know of" "It shouldn't be"

Is your license suspended?

"It shouldn't be"

"not that I know of"

Also if someone is giving you a social security number and they cant seem to get the last couple of numbers right; you are receiving a fake social.

People give you a fake name for a reason, but its never going to be an honest mistake. They could have a warrant for unpaid fines or be an escapee facing 20 years in prison. So keep that in mind when you know someone is giving you bogus information about their identity.
Old 12 December 2015, 10:34
Social Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
^HEll Yes. I was standing in a burger joint in the city I worked in (where I also lived, went to H.S. in grew up in) turned around from the counter with my order and standing right behind me in line was a guy I had shot 4 years earlier. Honestly I think he was more shocked. "How' you doin boss?" was his comment. "Good man, how you doing?" It was an attempted suicide by cop situation. I think Ive told the story here before somewhere. Although that didnt stop his lawyer from trying to sue me for $10 mill. Which he lost.

And No, I didnt have my gun. I was simply making a Home Depot run and decided to grab lunch on my way back home. "Ill only be gone for a minute.......what can happen?"
I sent this link to several friends, showing how quick someone you had a violent encounter with can reappear in your life. 3 guys now carry religiously because of your story.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 13 June 2016, 15:03

Attempting to bump/ revive this thread as I have recently gotten hired by a state agency. 3 months or so until I begin my academy. I have been enjoying the advice given so far and will gladly read more if any of yall are willing to add.

Thanks.

Our new posting rules