Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Company Vetting and RFI

Old 14 March 2018, 09:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat8541 View Post
Oatman was the director, at one time, of where I work now. From those that are still around when he was there, they said there is nothing that any one of those schools can teach you that you don't already know or wont learn on a detail. I had only worked PSD before, thus the typical WPS background, no special school or certification. It really depends on how well you fit into the culture and with the client. We have had some really experienced and vetted guys not cut it because they could not adjust to the corporate life and politics that go with it and then there are the the people who know how to play the game and have been there 20+ years. This is based on my experience, YMMV. We have only one person who has ever attended an actual EP school and it was ESI. He has nothing negative to say about it and attends their annual conference each year more so for networking than anything else.
Spot on save for one, there is no longer an "ESI" conference. (For the benefit of the readers), there was a conference called EPIC, annually held and rotating between ESI and EPI, traditionally two competing schools - this is no longer and is now an annual conference of the International Security Protection Board which is run (the board) by Jerry from EPI, Fonda from ESI, Christian from AS Solution from Microsoft, and other industry leaders. The annual Vegas conference is a fantastic opportunity to listen to speakers, mingle, network and have fun. I'm there every year as a speaker, panel member or happy audience member. http://ips-board[dot]org/about-ipsboard/
Old 15 March 2018, 03:00

Thanks for the info and knowledge provided... very much appreciated...
Old 15 March 2018, 07:39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I'm just spitballing here, but maybe look at going to a driving course instead for the networking aspect. A place like VDI is widely recognized, and will only run you about $2k vs. investing in the ESI cert. You'll be re-doing skills that you've already acquired from WPS, but it won't require as much time or money as ESI. Spend whatever other money you need to on your state license/s.
VDI is great too. They also have an extensive networking community.
Old 15 March 2018, 11:28
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar1 View Post
Hey brother, that's what I'm trying to figure out; the networking part. Most of my boys are still on the WPS/OGA side, so not much help there. If you don't mind me asking how'd you get into the EP business?
LUCK! My father in law was flying back to Texas and just happened to be sitting next to someone who does protective intelligence work for us. They started chatting it up and I came up in the conversation. At the time I was working a DoD contract after having been on WPS. I interviewed about 5 or 6 times via skype and then came home and interviewed another 4 times with various managers. I worked as a contractor for a year before they offered me a full time spot.
Old 15 March 2018, 11:29
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
Spot on save for one, there is no longer an "ESI" conference. (For the benefit of the readers), there was a conference called EPIC, annually held and rotating between ESI and EPI, traditionally two competing schools - this is no longer and is now an annual conference of the International Security Protection Board which is run (the board) by Jerry from EPI, Fonda from ESI, Christian from AS Solution from Microsoft, and other industry leaders. The annual Vegas conference is a fantastic opportunity to listen to speakers, mingle, network and have fun. I'm there every year as a speaker, panel member or happy audience member. http://ips-board[dot]org/about-ipsboard/
Thanks for the correction. I was just going off what our team member was telling us.
Old 15 March 2018, 12:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat8541 View Post
Thanks for the correction. I was just going off what our team member was telling us.
No worries. Also, to self correct my post, it should read "Christian from AS Solution and Chuck from Microsoft"

H

Our new posting rules