Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 12 December 2017, 10:58
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHHINT View Post
Also not sure why the kids reached for his back while crawling, but either way it would seem like the officer could see his back at that point and see if he had a weapon. The kid wasn't really giving off any physical signs that he intended to be violent, which is really damning for the officer (except when its not apparently)....

Sad mess all around.
I believe the prosecution claimed he was pulling up his baggy shorts.
Old 12 December 2017, 11:53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
I believe the prosecution claimed he was pulling up his baggy shorts.

My understanding as well. His shorts were being pulled off as he was crawling and he tried to pull them up.

He better be glad that wasn't my kid or he would be taking a dirt nap by now.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 12 December 2017, 12:10
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
that wasn't my kid
I'm seeing your boy in that drive on rag he fell in love with last spring.
Old 12 December 2017, 12:13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I'm seeing your boy in that drive on rag he fell in love with last spring.
HAHAHAHAHA.....yeah he loved that thing.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 12 December 2017, 12:15
Authorized Personnel

I love em too, but it doesn't exactly make LE guys feel very comfortable to deal with a suspect in a drive on rag. That ranks up there with taking your shirt off as far as making you break out in handcuffs.
Old 12 December 2017, 14:54
Confirmed User

Situations like this just make me sick. There are so many good police officers doing the right thing everyday, every shift. Our oldest son being one of them. Then shit like this comes around. I tell folks there are good and bad people in every career. It's just being a police officer or any first responder puts you right in the spot light. What a dam shame.
Old 12 December 2017, 17:39
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP View Post
Situations like this just make me sick. There are so many good police officers doing the right thing everyday, every shift. Our oldest son being one of them. Then shit like this comes around. I tell folks there are good and bad people in every career. It's just being a police officer or any first responder puts you right in the spot light. What a dam shame.
It is a damn shame, but other careers don't get to shoot an unarmed man crying and shivering with fear 5x in the back when he's laying on the ground and get away with it. So yeah, a little more serious than a career as a dental hygienist....

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 12 December 2017, 18:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
It is a damn shame, but other careers don't get to shoot an unarmed man crying and shivering with fear 5x in the back when he's laying on the ground and get away with it. So yeah, a little more serious than a career as a dental hygienist....
Yep, all on board with that.
Old 12 December 2017, 23:33
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Raider View Post
Behind EVERY fucked-up officer there is AT LEAST one fucked-up supervisor, but bad bosses never feel the heat.
Very much so. But also, you have to think about the upper chain of command, too. Some supervisors are just out for the next promotion, so they'll act like complete jackasses and train their people wrong to appease the higher ups. Someone that I know's sgt would chew you out on camera just to look good in front of his lieutenant that did the same thing. So even the ranks can be just out for themselves and just a shitty as the officers that do things like this.
Old 13 December 2017, 07:37
Overseas Gunplumber

I'm sorry in case I missed it. What exactly is your experience in such matters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletAim View Post
Very much so. But also, you have to think about the upper chain of command, too. Some supervisors are just out for the next promotion, so they'll act like complete jackasses and train their people wrong to appease the higher ups. Someone that I know's sgt would chew you out on camera just to look good in front of his lieutenant that did the same thing. So even the ranks can be just out for themselves and just a shitty as the officers that do things like this.

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 13 December 2017, 08:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz View Post
None. Another tactical fan boy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 13 December 2017, 08:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP View Post
Yes, most police officers are good to go. Very few bad apples. And with as many LE officers in the USA as there are, you are going to have a few bad shoots, bad or corrupt cop issues. That is not what upsets people. It is when there are bad cops or bad shoots, that when sometimes there is not justice, arrest being made of officers, or departments cleaning house first - before public out cries. That is what causes the mistrust of the police by many in our society.

Old 13 December 2017, 09:28
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Yes, most police officers are good to go. Very few bad apples. And with as many LE officers in the USA as there are, you are going to have a few bad shoots, bad or corrupt cop issues. That is not what upsets people. It is when there are bad cops or bad shoots, that when sometimes there is not justice, arrest being made of officers, or departments cleaning house first - before public out cries. That is what causes the mistrust of the police by many in our society.
#NailedIT

People accept mistakes, people accept an entire host of shit...but when we start seeing two sets of rules, well... it starts to create uncertainty and uncertainty creates a big list of fucking problems.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 13 December 2017, 10:47
Been There Done That

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal".

Old 13 December 2017, 11:50
Authorized Personnel

Speaking in general terms about issues which you have no personal knowledge or experience in doesn't go over too well here. Perhaps it's time to step back in your lane sir.

Quote:

"OK, so we can agree you've been drinking. Now I know you've had at least 2, the first one and the last one, but now we need to figure out how many there were in between."-Me, I-35
Old 13 December 2017, 11:57
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal".

Indeed.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 13 December 2017, 12:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz View Post
Wow. You really demonstrate an inability to learn from your own mistakes.
Old 13 December 2017, 12:36
Confirmed User

This was a case of bad hiring, as much as bad policing.

And, why the background investigation for new hires is the most important investigation an officer will ever do.

Because, if a proper background investigation had been conducted on this officer, this would probably have never happened.

When you are granting the power to kill, when necessay, on behalf of the state to someone, you better be sure about the person you are granting it to.

Last edited by Group9; 13 December 2017 at 12:49.
Old 13 December 2017, 12:47
Confirmed User

One thing being over looked is the skill and competence of the prosecutor bringing the case vs the defense team. I have heard the defendants attorney specializes in officer involved shootings and has a successful track record. All he has to do is introduce reasonable doubt and the defendant walks. I don’t know the reputation of the prosecutor however it doesn’t seem he/she was very effective .

Last edited by Five-O; 13 December 2017 at 13:01.
Old 13 December 2017, 12:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
...So even the ranks can be just out for themselves and just a shitty as the officers that do things like this.
-- and other posts of yours...

You are young, inexperienced by the standards of the average user here on SOCNET, and you opine on subjects without the benefit of experience...

There is much wisdom available here on this board, literally centuries worth of actual on the line experience. At your stage of life you would do well to be in the absorb mode, rather than the speak mode.

IOW - read more, post less.

You are beginning to rub me, and I suspect others, the wrong way, and that's not a good thing.

Our new posting rules