Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > FAC's, JTAC's and Fire Support

Old 7 September 2014, 00:07
Marine

Investigation into Fratricide in Arghandab

Highly recommended reading for terminal controllers. If you can get the unredacted version on the high side, I'm sure it's an even more valuable read. Lot of things went sideways on this one. I do question the IO's assertion that the aircrew believed the Sniper pod could see IR strobes - one of the sworn statements indicates the aircrew were actively scanning with NODs for strobes in the target area. Either way, when dropping in close proximity to friendly forces, make damn sure you know where all of your elements are located.

http://www.scribd dot com/doc/238691680/Friendly-Fire-Airstrike-in-the-Vicinity-of-Arghandab-Afghanistan-9-Jun-14
"This is how it is when the war machine rolls back and forth. You take your pleasure where you can and when you can, and let the circumstances be damned. For tomorrow you may be somewhere else." - Cass

"I understand all of the words you used, but I don't know what you just said." - Gen. Hagee speaking to the MEU S-3
Old 7 September 2014, 06:34
Been There Done That

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMI_Marine View Post
when dropping in close proximity to friendly forces, make damn sure you know where all of your elements are located.
Exactly, this applies to both the aircrew and ground forces. The aircrew relies on what the JTAC has relayed, so ensure you (as a JTAC) are passing the latest/most accurate grids and markings. Another negative aspect in the report was poor comms. It's been my experience that you better have a minimum of three radios. I carried two PRC117s and a MBITR.
Old 7 September 2014, 09:21
The Sagacious One

Can you check your link?
Old 8 September 2014, 07:29
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

TFG, this one works: http://www.scribd.com/doc/238691680/...istan-9-Jun-14
Old 7 November 2014, 17:05

Seeing strobes at night with NODs / NVGs from an aircraft is one thing - correlating that back into the cockpit and a FLIR display with any accuracy is another.

Our new posting rules