Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > FAC's, JTAC's and Fire Support

Old 30 June 2011, 02:33

USMC Fire Support Man signing on / Career Questions

Hello All,

Signing on after a few years of inactivity, I am a 0861 in the USMC, latmoved after my first four years to this MOS and love it, just finished up a pump with 3/9 filling a scout/JFO billet. I am actively seeking a JTAC seat when we get back and expect to go through the course sometime this year or next.

Does anyone whos been through TACP have any advice for the course, I am not worried about the bookwork/tests as I am generally good at that aspect of courses, more along the lines of tips for the sims and live shoots, I worked alot with our FAC out here on scenarios, but of course doctrine and what they want in the schoolhouse is different that in theater SOP's.

Also, for any USMC guys in here, any first hand knowledge of ANGLICO/MARSOC billets? my rotation date is in about a year and I would be very interested in filling a billet in one of those units.

Semper Fi
-Tom
Old 1 July 2011, 21:51
Confirmed User

JTACery

What's up amigo? Did you guys just get back? I'm assuming you know Sgt Maj Gallegos, he was my first sergeant way back when. I'm a JFO myself and my unit has a lot of success in Astan utilizing us for Type 2 Controls and doing LZ control for MEDEVACs and HSTs.

I'm not sure how your guys pipeline works as far as getting JTAC school seats. My company recently got an Arty FO who is JTAC qualed attached to us in addition to a couple of other arty cats who are JFOs. If you want to be a JTAC in one of the MSOBs, I would think about heading over there directly. I.e. go through A&S and ITC then see if you can go to the school after you become a CSO. I'm not sure about ANGLICO, but honestly I've never been that overly impressed with them. Good luck bud.

Cat
Old 2 July 2011, 10:12
Former thousand-aire

Well, foregoing my initial reflex reaction to defend my unit to the comment by catsonpoint, that was not the intent of the thread. Plus, I wouldn't have the time or inclination to try and explain the inner workings and versatility as a force multiplier ANGLICO is to supported unit commanders to a grunt.

It is actually a tragedy that ANGLICO has worked with the FMF as much as they have since 2003, as that has never been the intent of an ANGLICO team.

But I digress, Tom if you are interested in becoming a JTAC and getting to work in a specialized unit, than ANGLICO is a good choice to pursue. Plus, since you are already an 0861 and JFO, your time to target and chance of getting a TACP school seat will be shorter than if you went to MARSOC.

If you would like the "SOF" side of the house than MARSOC may be a better fit for you. Things to keep in mind though, with ANGLICO you will have the opportunity to work with multiple types of conventional and SOF units from multiple nations, including our own. In MARSOC, depending on which Battalion you end up in, your role will be much different.

To go to the TACP Course you must be a Sgt, have completed the JTAC Primer Course, and have the additional online courses completed. Such as; 6 Functions of Marine Aviation, Battle Space Geometry, etc. All are available on Marine Net. Already being a JFO is a plus in your corner, but I noticed you said you PCS within a year. There are not that many TACP school seats out there, and I would imagine a unit is not going to give up a coveted boat-space such as that, only to have you leave the unit.

My suggestion would be; start working on the pre-requisite courses needed to attend the TACP school, get with your monitor early and try to secure a slot in an ANGLICO unit, and get to other schools to pad your resume and that you will have more of a shot at getting a slot to - short term. For example, MAGTF Fires Course, Fire Support Coordination Course, Fires Chief's Course, SERE, etc. In this way, if assigned to an ANGLICO Company, you will walk in the door with everything you need to go to TACP as soon as you finish the ANGLICO Basic Course.

As for advice to prep for the course itself. Get a copy of the latest J-Fire Handbook, the JCAS-MOA, FM 3-09.32, and learn what you can about the capabilities of the current pods being used, and weapons being delivered. Not that you are going to do weaponry for the pilot, but you will need to know it for the exams.

Good luck in whatever decision you make. S/F

Maj Samuel "Swacq" Griffith, 4th ANGLICO - December 14, 2011 Helmand, Afghanistan

Capt Warren "War" Frank, 5th ANGLICO - November 25, 2008 Baiji, Iraq

GySgt Marcelo Velasco, 4th ANGLICO - November 19, 2008 Fallujah, Iraq

Sgt Jeremiah McGraw, 4th ANGLICO - September 10, 2009

Lightning from the Sky, Thunder from the Sea!

Last edited by USMC_ANGLICO; 2 July 2011 at 10:23.
Old 5 July 2011, 23:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_ANGLICO View Post
Well, foregoing my initial reflex reaction to defend my unit to the comment by catsonpoint, that was not the intent of the thread. Plus, I wouldn't have the time or inclination to try and explain the inner workings and versatility as a force multiplier ANGLICO is to supported unit commanders to a grunt.
Ouch!
Old 6 July 2011, 05:59
Former thousand-aire

There was a smiley face brother...... a smiley face

Lol!

Maj Samuel "Swacq" Griffith, 4th ANGLICO - December 14, 2011 Helmand, Afghanistan

Old 23 August 2011, 19:11

Hey Gents,

It's been a busy 2 months since I last posted this, and after post deployment leave, things started moving fast, but I seemed to have got what I wanted, and have a TACP seat for this fall, by chance deploying again with 3/9 as their JTAC, so we shall see. They have a prep course down here at Lejeune, its a month in all and takes us through the entire curriculum of TACP plus sim time so I feel confident in that.

USMC_Anglico: You mentioned that if I were to go to MARSOC my role could be different depending on where I get sent over there, could you perhaps elaborate, I'm not too familiar with the billets for us over there.

and catsonpoint: I do indeed know the SgtMaj, he had a special place in his heart for us arty attachments....always messing up his counts on our own ULN!
Old 24 August 2011, 13:21
Former thousand-aire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_M View Post
USMC_Anglico: You mentioned that if I were to go to MARSOC my role could be different depending on where I get sent over there, could you perhaps elaborate, I'm not too familiar with the billets for us over there.
My reference was to which Battalion an individual ends up in at MARSOC. Without breaking OPSEC as to roles of units, Battalions have different responsibilities. MARSOC looks much different today than it did 4 years ago, and much different than it will 4 years from now. As a qualified JTAC - with a combat tour, and qualified FO; you have more than others. The JTAC field is still high demand and low density.

My recommendation, get in touch with a MARSOC recruiter if you are interested and see what opportunities are available. I am sure there are many, not only in the new 0371 career field, but in the Fires shop. Good luck to you and stay safe on deployment.

Old 3 September 2011, 11:37

USMC_Anglico: I appreciate the insight and that's pretty much my gameplan once this first pump as a JTAC is over. Already underway in the prep course and very excited to get up to EWTGLANT.
Old 6 August 2012, 10:49

I'm a late joiner here...... Any updates??
Old 1 September 2012, 10:44

Anglico61: Went through TACP last fall, heading out the door as a line companys JTAC here in the next month.

Our new posting rules