Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 24 January 2018, 10:03
Confirmed User

Master Sergeant Raul Perez "Roy" Benavidez

I stumbled upon this incredible story while reading about MACV-SOG...Holy SHIT!!..this guy was a real huge-titanium-balls badass hero. Makes you wonder what so fine warriors are made of.
Incredibly impressive and very humbling story.

"6 Hours in hell"
"On May 2, 1968, a 12-man Special Forces patrol, which included nine Montagnard tribesmen, was surrounded by an NVA infantry battalion of about 1,000 men. Benavidez heard the radio appeal for help and boarded a helicopter to respond. Armed only with a knife, he jumped from the helicopter carrying his medical bag and ran to help the trapped patrol. Benavidez "distinguished himself by a series of daring and extremely valorous actions... and because of his gallant choice to join voluntarily his comrades who were in critical straits, to expose himself constantly to withering enemy fire, and his refusal to be stopped despite numerous severe wounds, saved the lives of at least eight men." At one point in the battle an NVA soldier accosted him and stabbed him with a bayonet. Benavidez pulled it out, yanked out his own knife, killed the NVA soldier and kept going, leaving his knife in the dead soldier's body. After the battle, he was evacuated to the base camp, examined, and thought to be dead. As he was placed in a body bag among the other dead in body bags, he was suddenly recognized by a friend who called for help. A doctor came and examined him but believed Benavidez was dead. The doctor was about to zip up the body bag when Benavidez spat in his face, alerting the doctor that he was alive.[3] (see medal citation below)

The six-hour battle left Benavidez with seven major gunshot wounds, twenty-eight shrapnel holes, and both his arms were slashed by a bayonet. He had shrapnel in his head, scalp, shoulder, buttocks, feet, and legs, his right lung was destroyed, and he had injuries to his mouth and back of his head from being clubbed with a rifle butt. A bullet shot from an AK-47 entered his back and exited just beneath his heart.[4] Benavidez was evacuated to Fort Sam Houston's Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas, and he spent almost a year in hospitals recovering from his injuries.

Benavidez's commander felt that he deserved the Medal of Honor for his valor in saving eight lives, but he put Roy in for the Distinguished Service Cross because the process for awarding a Medal of Honor would have taken much longer, and his commander was sure Benavidez would die before he got it. The recommendation for the Distinguished Service Cross was rushed through approval channels. On September 10, 1968, while still recuperating from his wounds at Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston, Roy was visited by General William C. Westmoreland, then the Chief of Staff of the United States Army, who presented the Distinguished Service Cross to Benavidez.[4]

Along with the Distinguished Service Cross, Benavidez also received four Purple Hearts for his wounds. In 1969, he was assigned to Fort Riley, Kansas, and in 1972 he was assigned to Fort Sam Houston, Texas where he remained until his retirement from the Army."

Full bio here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Benavidez
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Benavidez.jpg (21.1 KB, 216 views)

"Either go Genghis Khan, or go home..." - Leopardprey
Old 24 January 2018, 10:28
Pirate and Rogue

What a stud he was. He was blown up by a land mine during his first tour and spent a year rehabbing himself after they told him hed never walk again.

He walked out of the hospital on his own and went back to Vietnam

Stupid should be a medical diagnosis - Texan

Being smart does not guarantee success, but being stupid practically guarantees failure - GSniper
Old 24 January 2018, 20:29
Been There Done That

I had the pleasure of sharing some stories and beers with Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180124_191423.jpg (24.8 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180124_191433.jpg (17.9 KB, 169 views)
Old 24 January 2018, 21:10
Confirmed User

Motivational speech by Roy Benivedez, awe inspiring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oUtJxE4sjs
Old 25 January 2018, 04:41
Confirmed User

Thumbs up

Lucky you, Dangerous!...that's some serious piece of History you've got there

"Either go Genghis Khan, or go home..." - Leopardprey
Old 25 January 2018, 15:05
Been There Done That

The privilege and memories are better.
Old 16 March 2018, 17:37
Been There Done That

Just noticed this thread. I met MSG Benavidez once. He was guest speaker at a dinner I went to.

They don't come any better.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Our new posting rules