SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 13 May 2019, 20:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Have the same Kukri, and it is a real workhorse for sure. Have carried and used Kukris all over the world and never felt underarmed - not to mention how practical they are for field work/patrolling/bushcraft.
Totally agree, LP. It's a very versatile tool which can also be a formidable weapon. I have used it to chop wood on numerous occasions and is works just as well as a hatchet.
Old 13 May 2019, 21:32
Custom User Title

Quote:
Legal question:

If you are driving through a a restricted state, coming from a legal state and going to a legal state it has been determined you are not illegal in the restricted state.

Could the same be said for walking? Since you are just passing through the state on the way to another ultimate destination.

Nothing pisses me off more, we’ll just about nothing, that most of us on this site carried a firearm into harm’s way overseas on behalf of our nation. But we are not allowed to carry a firearm in parts of our own nation, for our own (or our loved ones) protection.

And if the gun is carried right, like in a Hill Person Rig, or in a mystery mountain wet rib, who will know? Cops cannot stop and just randomly search you can they?
Cops can generally speaking not just stop and search anybody at any time and for any reason. I would not necessarily want to bet my money or freedom on my knowledge of the law, or that every cop I might encounter ever was both well schooled and honest.

On the other hand... how many law enough officers are you going to run into on the trail and how hard is is to conceal a compact pistol? I've carried during every hiking trip I've done and nobody outside of my party knew.
Old 13 May 2019, 22:18
Confirmed User

I worked on parts of the AT in the GSNP. At the time you couldn't carry at all in any NP. They had moved most of the shelters away from roads to prevent them from becoming paty shacks.

I also had the privilege to run into this piece of work when I was at a timber sports meet. https://the-line-up.com/gary-hilton-...f-death-part-i One of those situations where someone just seems off. Tried to get me to let our dogs play together and I declined and went back to the party. Few weeks later turns out he had killed an elderly couple a few days later. I spend more time in the woods then most but it's the two legged critters that worry me more.
Old 13 May 2019, 22:23
Shakin' the bush Boss

I was section hiking the AT and carrying a .38 when I was 14. Different time I know, but not being allowed to carry a gun in the outdoors, anywhere, is just un-American to me.
Old 13 May 2019, 22:33
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I was section hiking the AT and carrying a .38 when I was 14. Different time I know, but not being allowed to carry a gun in the outdoors, anywhere, is just un-American to me.
Yep! Still hard for me to grasp. Guns were a part of my young life and are a part of my life now. Every time I read about Gun Law I'm just reinforced about my choice to stay South.
And pity that it's the or one-of-the first things I think about when contemplating trips.

Noticed this was just above Grayson Highlands, my old AT stomping ground for day hikes.

As far as concealability; easy. Myriad ways. For me a non-issue.
Old 13 May 2019, 22:37
Shakin' the bush Boss

Yeah, on azimuth it was probably about 30 miles from me.

I started hunting alone when I was 10.

Me and another kid were doing 5-7 day section hikes before we had driver's licenses. Armed. No issue. Getting jammed by the cops wasn't even a consideration.
Old 13 May 2019, 23:42
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
Not going to carry a gun on the trail, but I'm not going out completely unarmed, either.
That may be fine for two legged predators, but I'm not so sure that bears are sufficiently impressed by pointy objects to leave all my guns at home while walking quietly along remote mountaintops in a forest. I'm not that confident in the ferocity of my inner caveman to cast aside the technology that people spent the last thousand years developing so that nice people would not have to be scared of predators regardless of their leg supply.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 14 May 2019, 09:36
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post

...Not that I would advocate breaking any laws, but I just haven't found it all that difficult to keep a compact .45 concealed 100% of the time in my outdoor gear.
THIS.

Concealed means concealed...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 14 May 2019, 10:18
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
That may be fine for two legged predators, but I'm not so sure that bears are sufficiently impressed by pointy objects to leave all my guns at home while walking quietly along remote mountaintops in a forest. I'm not that confident in the ferocity of my inner caveman to cast aside the technology that people spent the last thousand years developing so that nice people would not have to be scared of predators regardless of their leg supply.

I'm not going to be one of those people that says nature is friendly and full of peace and love, but on the other hand, black bears (all we have down here) are pretty scared of us, and won't attack unless we are stupid. I don't have much to worry about from them unless I fuck up spectacularly.

While true:
Continue
Old 14 May 2019, 11:22
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Do they?
I use this one on NPE trails.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/.../1/ProductID/2
Old 14 May 2019, 13:20
BTDT

Like KW Driver said, the last murder was 8 years ago - show me a jurisdiction with less murder (Beverly Hills?). This is sort of the problem with instant access to info, world-wide, 24x7 = OMG we're all gonna die.

That said, it would suck to #2 in 8 years. If you can deal with the also probably not going to happen arrest for carrying - carry. Or carry what is legal - you need axes and hatchets to camp, right? Knives - big ones? Clear brush with a Samauri Sword? Zulu Spear? TASER? O.C. (The Bear kind)? No idea, don't camp anymore.
Old 14 May 2019, 13:30
Been There Done That

A few days ago some nutjob stabbed a few people on the AT in Virginia...I go into the woods, a weapon is with me, always.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/appalachi...-fbi-complaint
Old 14 May 2019, 14:10
Going cyclic!!

This is what should have happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I_Ds2ytz4o
Old 14 May 2019, 15:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
Well, considering the PCT goes through three of the most restrictive gun rights states in the country - you really are taking a risk to carry. That said - I have carried my G23 (.40 cal) twice on the PCT. The second time I actually came across a Ranger who did not notice I was carrying - fortunately. That really made me re-think carrying on the trail. However, on all four of my hikes on the PCT, I have carried this kukri. To the untrained it looks like a machete/bush-knife. The Ranger didn't say anything about it. I honestly don't know the legality of carrying a blade like this, but I am not going completely unarmed. Btw - I couldn't believe the kit that Ranger had - looked like an "operator" :)
I was in Lake Tahoe last month so I couldn’t carry my pistol. I carried my big ass knife and looked up California law before I went. There was no restriction on size and it had “to be worn in the open from the waist.” I kept waiting on other hikers to make some kind of comment but none ever did.
Old 14 May 2019, 15:50
Skandalon

It's because of places like that that I am considered an "outlaw" in America...and, I'm okay with that.
Old 14 May 2019, 15:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
It's because of places like that that I am considered an "outlaw" in America...and, I'm okay with that.
Just carry a Ball Pein hammer.
Old 14 May 2019, 15:55
Skandalon

Quote:
Just carry a Ball Pein hammer.
Yes sir...that's my go-to....
Old 14 May 2019, 16:06
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
A few days ago some nutjob stabbed a few people on the AT in Virginia...I go into the woods, a weapon is with me, always.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/appalachi...-fbi-complaint
Welcome to the Thread!
Old 14 May 2019, 16:06
Shakin' the bush Boss

Or do like that motorcycle gang that carries a bandanna with a padlock on it to flail away with.
Old 14 May 2019, 16:36
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I climbed Katadhn with a Glock 19 in one of those.

Our new posting rules