SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 12 February 2019, 14:40
BTDT

CQR, $60. Amazon. 3 months use so far - time will tell, but I've had enough Merrell and Oakley CRAP GARBAGE, that I'm done playing that game.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NW3KQ8...FPM?th=1&psc=1
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"

Last edited by Polypro; 12 February 2019 at 14:51.
Old 12 February 2019, 14:49
Confirmed User

Well that's why I go with made in the USA custom made boots. Yes they're expensive, but I had 1 pair last me for 7 years and only reason I don't have them is because they got burned up in a house fire. Only thing I had to do with them is get them resoled.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 12 February 2019, 16:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
Any recommendations within the brand?
My only experience was with the standard issue jungles. In my opinion if you need a spit shine they are the best. They take some getting used to and are not comfortable until they are broken in. It takes work.

Another suggestions is the Belleville Hot Weather Combat Boot. Less break-in required and has a softer sole.

Just try boots on until you find what you like.
Old 12 February 2019, 18:40
Been There Done That

Socks are the key to making boots comfortable. Smart Wool hiking or expedition weight are my go to.
Old 12 February 2019, 18:56
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
Need a pair of black boots that can be shined for the police academy. Any recommendations? I was warned against Under Armour because they apparently won't hold up to all of the ear they will get.

Not looking to spend a fortune, but don't want to buy something that won't last for a while.

Corcoran even makes a Police model (shown in photo). In my experience, these are as good as it gets.

I'd suggest that you wear them a few days before going on any 50 mile hikes.

They accept a (spit) shine very well.

index.jpg
Old 15 February 2019, 20:04
Confirmed User

Www.viktos.com has some appropriate boots that might work. I've been wearing their pants, and I like them.
Old 5 March 2019, 00:56
Confirmed User

I just bought a pair of Asolo Shiraz and they seem pretty good. Sturdy and good support. I only got about 30 miles into them before winter hit hard and I had to switch to heavily insulated boots. I'll let you know how they last the mountain SAR season.
Jong - those custom boots look really nice. Thinking about it.
Old 5 March 2019, 09:50
The Sagacious One

We wear muck boots on the farm due to, well, muck. Its cold as fuck so we are looking for something with 0 to sub zero protection and the waterproof protection of a muck boot. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Old 5 March 2019, 13:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
We wear muck boots on the farm due to, well, muck. Its cold as fuck so we are looking for something with 0 to sub zero protection and the waterproof protection of a muck boot. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Sorels? they're more snow/ice oriented to my memory, but I know they have -30 boots.

LL Been's duck boots have insulated models in a higher upper.

Danners would be a pain to clean constantly.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 5 March 2019, 15:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
I've got muck boots but for real cold, they don't cut it. I bought some LaCrosse hunting boots with 1600 gr Thinsulate and they seem pretty good. Snowmobile boots are also very warm.
Old 5 March 2019, 18:13

Quote:
LaCrosse Alphaburly.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1188...age.recsmiddle

Index on the ankle/arch area vs. the whole foot, so allow you to wear a variety of sock combos depending on conditions; takes a little getting used to and I wouldn't want to hike distances in them, but that's the only downside.
Sig insulation underfoot, helpful when standing in place long-term (hunting or those weirdos who ice-fish). Wicked rugged sole and tough upper; I've worn the piss out of a pair for several years now, still perfectly sealed, use my Muck or Bogs only during summer now.

DaveP
Old 6 March 2019, 13:43
Confirmed User

In my quest for more durable, minimalist boots, I'm trying these now, had em about a week:

https://us.joe-nimble.com/collection...stertoes-men-1

So far so good. Pretty wide toe box, but could be a hair wider for me personally. Definitely well-made (in Germany) with high quality leather, vibram sole, etc. So far pretty waterproof without a waterproof membrane, as well...
Old 27 March 2019, 18:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
I did all the feeding and the maintenance on Bro in law's dairy farm for three years. I bought a pair of insulated fireman's boots with a steel toe, got em from the Fire store , I think. Anyhoo, I loved em for easy on , off and cleaning. It got cold here and was in em at least 6 hours a day,tootsies stayed warm. I made myself a makeshift gaiters out of the legs from an old pair of long johns. The gaiters kept the straw, hay , feed out of my boots. I wore decent thermal socks and put in a pair of insoles.
Old 31 March 2019, 00:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
I have a pair of Le Chameau boots from my time in VT. Hit -40F that winter, and I rocked these things very comfortably. Yes, they are French Wellington style boots, but they don’t surrender to the cold and wet. Fantastic, but expensive, boots. Highly recommended.

https://www.lechameau.com/us/mens-boots.html

Our new posting rules