SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 October 2018, 08:52
Back on The Farm

While I hate to hear of people going throught his sort of shit, what ever happened to people saying "fuck it" and moving away? I still have no clue what is so great about Cali to make anyone with half a brain want to stay there. Someone enlighten me. (I have been to an airfield in N Cal one time for some training, that's it. Never saw the rest of the state).

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

"The rules only apply when something is going wrong." -Me

"When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man" Elton John
Old 17 October 2018, 09:25
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
While I hate to hear of people going throught his sort of shit, what ever happened to people saying "fuck it" and moving away? I still have no clue what is so great about Cali to make anyone with half a brain want to stay there. Someone enlighten me. (I have been to an airfield in N Cal one time for some training, that's it. Never saw the rest of the state).
I did just that back in June of 2001, and have only returned a handful of times to visit family. The state itself is beautiful, and could in all actuality could be it's own self sustaining country if it wanted to. Unfortunately, and since the early '90s, it has increasingly been run by dimwitted libtards. Remember, this is the state that once elected Ronald Reagan to both Governor and President. My, how the pendulum has swung.

As far as PG&E goes...I once worked for a company that provided restoration services for utility lines (think telephone pole and steel structure rehab). PG&E was experiencing heavy losses, when their aging high voltage (500KV) lines were falling over. The corrosive environment from the agricultural soils in the central basin (Bakersfield, Modesto, etc.) were attacking the structures underground. In other words, they were rusting. I was tasked with providing cathodic protection and restoration plans to mitigate and extend the life of the assets. Short story short; My $8.2M project was rejected by PG&E because it was too expensive...They were losing over a $1M a day when one of these line fell over. As you said, "The smartest guys in the room..."
Old 17 October 2018, 10:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
I ask this of my friends who still live in DC making 6 figures or close to it and who are 30+ years old and still have roommates.

If you are over 30 and have a roommate it best be because your wife/girlfriend caught you with 9 strippers and a kilo of blow and kicked you out and you're just trying to get your shit together again.

Mostly they stay because of fear of change. People like security blankets, whether actual blankets or the familiar. I've tried giving jobs to my friends when I was in Coronado and again in Montana and recently here in WV, which isn't the best place but when you're being handed a GS12 position that has quick promotional potential and a cool fucking job and you only have to suck up WV for a year before you can move on to better (or just stay) and you don't have to have roommates anymore but you -still- say no? You're scared. That's all there is to it.
Old 17 October 2018, 10:58
Confirmed User

Liberal run areas of this nation remind me all too well of the old country my family fled. Don't get me wrong they are still 10000000x better than full blown communism, but the parallels are a stark reminder to those of us who have had first hand experiences with that sort of CF.

When it comes to utilities, the entire nation is screwed. Some more so than others. Cities, billing companies and owners of the physical plant play point the finger and 99% of the customers dont mess with it cause its not worth it.

Moving out... I can see how in the Obama economy it was harder to just pack up and leave, but now with the economy moving a bit folks really need to get on the ball and find jobs in better locations and GTFO. Change sucks, but Liberalism sucks worse. I'd prefer that any conservatives left be the first to jump and make a new start in other places than the liberal assholes invading other states.
Old 17 October 2018, 19:22
killjoy

It may not have been windy in Sac, but looking around the green debris on my property today after returning home from a trip I can tell you we must have had decent winds in mountains uphill from you.

Thing that puzzled me was that PGE sent an automated phone call to customers at around midnight prior to the weekend to warn them of the planned outages. Who in their right mind thinks it's appropriate to phone people in the middle of the night for a non emergency? Our sheriff got a lot of calls from folks wondering if there was a current fire moving through, etc.
Old 18 October 2018, 08:47
Back on The Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I ask this of my friends who still live in DC making 6 figures or close to it and who are 30+ years old and still have roommates.

If you are over 30 and have a roommate it best be because your wife/girlfriend caught you with 9 strippers and a kilo of blow and kicked you out and you're just trying to get your shit together again.

Mostly they stay because of fear of change. People like security blankets, whether actual blankets or the familiar. I've tried giving jobs to my friends when I was in Coronado and again in Montana and recently here in WV, which isn't the best place but when you're being handed a GS12 position that has quick promotional potential and a cool fucking job and you only have to suck up WV for a year before you can move on to better (or just stay) and you don't have to have roommates anymore but you -still- say no? You're scared. That's all there is to it.
I am almost 47, broke and jobless due to my divorce. I still wouldn't have a damn roommate. If someone offered me a job making a decent wage and having a guaranteed check, I would not hesitate to move. Especially from a place like NY or Cali. I grew up in NY and I won't ever go back.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

"The rules only apply when something is going wrong." -Me

"When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man" Elton John
Old 10 November 2018, 12:51
Anesthetized User

PG&E

I will withhold final judgment pending the outcome of the investigations.

The Camp Fire that started just minutes after a power failure at a major substation in Paradise, Ca. at the same location.

67,000 structures burned last night and the town is gone.

Them cooperating with investigators keeps them close to the case to do damage control. Not because they care about any of this.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/pacific-g...fore-camp-fire

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

Equality is no measure of success.
Old 8 March 2019, 10:25
Anesthetized User

In the midst of bankruptcy, PG&E wants to give 235M in bonuses. I bet the judge allows it as well as all of this is taking place in San Francisco.

Public Utilities Commission's are a Governor appointed joke in California and are made up of leaders of the very agencies they oversee.

https://www.kcra.com/article/amid-ba...nuses/26755531

Old 8 March 2019, 11:56
Going cyclic!!

I work for a public utility and we have never taken outages because the weather might ______. Granted, NE is different than CA, but, it sounds weird to me. We have planned outages for maintenance, but never because of an impending event.
Old 30 October 2019, 17:03
Confirmed User

Coming back to this.

It looks like PGE is in a bit of a "get woke go broke" thing as well.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/stakeho...on-11571696787

Edit: Odd, I can read it on my phone without logging in or being a subscriber.

For further commentary in case people can't read it. Basically, the article states that the word "stakeholder" never appeared until 2013, then skyrocketed to like 10-15 times each report since then.

Additionally, over the years terms like "diversity and inclusion" started making its way into the company's quarterly and yearly reports. Lastly, there are lines items speaking to how many minorities and women are employed and things like "average age of power lines" never appears.

While I'm sure there may be some corporate malfeasance at the company, it's not exactly a meritocracy and thus we're seeing the results.

-Michael Malice

Last edited by Steve83; 30 October 2019 at 17:21.
Old 30 October 2019, 17:54
Shakin' the bush Boss

Well, there is hope. I heard on the radio today that the state gov't is contemplating taking over PG&E. I'm sure the gov't can have all the problems straightened out in short order.
Old 30 October 2019, 19:14
Sound off for equipment check!

Just get a new flag and be done with it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E820E7B8-5E03-494C-A6EB-DF10B9C6775A.jpg (16.6 KB, 272 views)
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes

So, let it rock on- Genl (R) Thomas S. Woodward, Wheeling, La, 2 May, 1857
Old 30 October 2019, 21:23
killjoy

2 things I heard about all this. Let me know if I heard wrong or if something is not quite accurate.

1) Fuel build-up as a result of environmental laws. We used to log and clear forest responsibly and didn't have these huge out of control fires.

2) Liberal policies to push "green energy" caused PGE to divert 2 billion dollars to invest in renewable energy. Money which would otherwise have been spent on maintenance.
Old 30 October 2019, 22:33
SOCNET Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
2 things I heard about all this. Let me know if I heard wrong or if something is not quite accurate.

1) Fuel build-up as a result of environmental laws. We used to log and clear forest responsibly and didn't have these huge out of control fires.

2) Liberal policies to push "green energy" caused PGE to divert 2 billion dollars to invest in renewable energy. Money which would otherwise have been spent on maintenance.
Thats what I understand also.

Talk about the government taking over ours lifes with healthcare. I can only imagine what happens when the government takes over the electricity.....
Old 30 October 2019, 23:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post

1) While once the fires starts fuel loading may come into play, but the causation is still because they didn't clear the right away because profitability is tied to someones bonus and you can save millions by not doing it.

2) See part 1 about profitability and bonuses.
Old 30 October 2019, 23:19
killjoy

I figured profit and bonus was always part of the game, going back many decades when we didn't have these issues.
Old 30 October 2019, 23:54
Confirmed User

My old man worked in the power industry for 30+ years and he's been telling me about the lack of right-away maintenance for probably 15+ years. Like others mentioned you can proabably get away with it some places and only suffer annoying outages, but somewhere with a Mediterranean climate its foolish at best and negligent at worst.

About the logging, for what it's worth we log a shit load here in Idaho and we even get slammed from time to time. 2015 in particular was a a perfect storm of events, with a mild winter, light snow pack, then a huge storm with who knows how many lightening strikes, and high winds. Same thing happened in the 1910 fire and that was when the forest was at a pretty natural state.

One big issue is the expansion of residences into what we call the Wildland Urban Interface. More houses are in where fires happen now. Its up to the owners to mitigate the danger and be fire wise. I might have told this story before, but I dated a Helirappel girl and she was on this fire in Lake Tahoe once. The ended up having to cut some trees next to a guys house. After they saved his house he was extremely appreciative to them, and then turned around and sued because they cut the trees. That's the mentality we're dealing with.
Old 31 October 2019, 00:57
Confirmed User

If you look at the footprints of past fires, these things often occur in the same places. The Kincade just burned through the footprint of the Tubbs fire, and the Saddleridge occurred maybe 5 miles tops from the origin of the Woolsey which took off last year.. I believe the Loop fire which killed most of a crew back in the 60’s took place somewhere between the two. Also caused by a downed line feeding a Nike base, as it would happen.

Point being, the California fires which make the news every fall are very predictable events. They originate where they do, over and over, because these locations are for whatever reason the geographic low points which funnel hot, super dry air out of high pressure systems in the Great Basin which bump up against lows moving in off the coast. PG&E deserves plenty of blame for their failure to maintain lines, but the cities and developers who have been placing communities directly in front of a natural acetylene torch are just as guilty.

The same criticism could be leveled against communities across the West, but the fuels, weather and topography of California offer the most extreme examples of this greed and shortsightedness in development..
Old 17 March 2020, 09:47
Anesthetized User

PG&E has had its bankruptcy plan approved by a judge who admits he does not understand it. It is "beyond my understanding". 23 billion dollars is not nearly, by 50%, the amount lost by the victims of the the various fires that killed many people.

The .gov taking over PG&E's power business is FAR from the right answer.

But collecting RFP's and putting their operating areas out for competitive bid might be an option. I am sure other utility businesses would like to come in to CA.

I am not sure RFP's and opening up PG&E's operating areas is legal. But the company sure has a stranglehold on the state.

The Public Utilities Commission needs to grow a set of balls and do their job.

In the end, nothing will change, more people will die because PG&E simply does not want to change. That and the voters are happy with letting cities be burned away and many dying.

https://www.kcra.com/article/court-a...ckage/31680340

Old 17 March 2020, 20:41
Ghey floor sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
PG&E has had its bankruptcy plan approved by a judge who admits he does not understand it. It is "beyond my understanding".
It's not a plan of reorganization that has been approved. It's a financing package that will be used to fund payouts on certain claims under PG&E's plan of reorganization IF certain conditions are satisfied both with respect to the financing and with respect to the amount of claims outstanding.

The judge saying the package is "beyond [his] understanding" is essentially him not wanting (or not having the time) to read all of the documents. It's a big debt and equity financing deal with multiple "backstop" fundraisers and a bunch of different conditions, and the fundraisers are making about a billion dollars for putting it together. I get where the judge is coming from--the commitment letters (to say nothing of the prospectus that will have to be prepared) comprise nearly 130 pages of conditions and hedging and whatnot.

Our new posting rules