SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 October 2018, 08:52
At the Barn

While I hate to hear of people going throught his sort of shit, what ever happened to people saying "fuck it" and moving away? I still have no clue what is so great about Cali to make anyone with half a brain want to stay there. Someone enlighten me. (I have been to an airfield in N Cal one time for some training, that's it. Never saw the rest of the state).
Old 17 October 2018, 09:25
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
While I hate to hear of people going throught his sort of shit, what ever happened to people saying "fuck it" and moving away? I still have no clue what is so great about Cali to make anyone with half a brain want to stay there. Someone enlighten me. (I have been to an airfield in N Cal one time for some training, that's it. Never saw the rest of the state).
I did just that back in June of 2001, and have only returned a handful of times to visit family. The state itself is beautiful, and could in all actuality could be it's own self sustaining country if it wanted to. Unfortunately, and since the early '90s, it has increasingly been run by dimwitted libtards. Remember, this is the state that once elected Ronald Reagan to both Governor and President. My, how the pendulum has swung.

As far as PG&E goes...I once worked for a company that provided restoration services for utility lines (think telephone pole and steel structure rehab). PG&E was experiencing heavy losses, when their aging high voltage (500KV) lines were falling over. The corrosive environment from the agricultural soils in the central basin (Bakersfield, Modesto, etc.) were attacking the structures underground. In other words, they were rusting. I was tasked with providing cathodic protection and restoration plans to mitigate and extend the life of the assets. Short story short; My $8.2M project was rejected by PG&E because it was too expensive...They were losing over a $1M a day when one of these line fell over. As you said, "The smartest guys in the room..."
Old 17 October 2018, 10:31
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
I ask this of my friends who still live in DC making 6 figures or close to it and who are 30+ years old and still have roommates.

If you are over 30 and have a roommate it best be because your wife/girlfriend caught you with 9 strippers and a kilo of blow and kicked you out and you're just trying to get your shit together again.

Mostly they stay because of fear of change. People like security blankets, whether actual blankets or the familiar. I've tried giving jobs to my friends when I was in Coronado and again in Montana and recently here in WV, which isn't the best place but when you're being handed a GS12 position that has quick promotional potential and a cool fucking job and you only have to suck up WV for a year before you can move on to better (or just stay) and you don't have to have roommates anymore but you -still- say no? You're scared. That's all there is to it.
Old 17 October 2018, 10:58
Confirmed User

Liberal run areas of this nation remind me all too well of the old country my family fled. Don't get me wrong they are still 10000000x better than full blown communism, but the parallels are a stark reminder to those of us who have had first hand experiences with that sort of CF.

When it comes to utilities, the entire nation is screwed. Some more so than others. Cities, billing companies and owners of the physical plant play point the finger and 99% of the customers dont mess with it cause its not worth it.

Moving out... I can see how in the Obama economy it was harder to just pack up and leave, but now with the economy moving a bit folks really need to get on the ball and find jobs in better locations and GTFO. Change sucks, but Liberalism sucks worse. I'd prefer that any conservatives left be the first to jump and make a new start in other places than the liberal assholes invading other states.
Old 17 October 2018, 19:22
killjoy

It may not have been windy in Sac, but looking around the green debris on my property today after returning home from a trip I can tell you we must have had decent winds in mountains uphill from you.

Thing that puzzled me was that PGE sent an automated phone call to customers at around midnight prior to the weekend to warn them of the planned outages. Who in their right mind thinks it's appropriate to phone people in the middle of the night for a non emergency? Our sheriff got a lot of calls from folks wondering if there was a current fire moving through, etc.
Old 18 October 2018, 08:47
At the Barn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I ask this of my friends who still live in DC making 6 figures or close to it and who are 30+ years old and still have roommates.

If you are over 30 and have a roommate it best be because your wife/girlfriend caught you with 9 strippers and a kilo of blow and kicked you out and you're just trying to get your shit together again.

Mostly they stay because of fear of change. People like security blankets, whether actual blankets or the familiar. I've tried giving jobs to my friends when I was in Coronado and again in Montana and recently here in WV, which isn't the best place but when you're being handed a GS12 position that has quick promotional potential and a cool fucking job and you only have to suck up WV for a year before you can move on to better (or just stay) and you don't have to have roommates anymore but you -still- say no? You're scared. That's all there is to it.
I am almost 47, broke and jobless due to my divorce. I still wouldn't have a damn roommate. If someone offered me a job making a decent wage and having a guaranteed check, I would not hesitate to move. Especially from a place like NY or Cali. I grew up in NY and I won't ever go back.
Old 10 November 2018, 12:51
Anesthetized User

PG&E

I will withhold final judgment pending the outcome of the investigations.

The Camp Fire that started just minutes after a power failure at a major substation in Paradise, Ca. at the same location.

67,000 structures burned last night and the town is gone.

Them cooperating with investigators keeps them close to the case to do damage control. Not because they care about any of this.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/pacific-g...fore-camp-fire

Support SOCNET.

Our new posting rules