SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 13 November 2018, 16:54
Administrator

Not the first time I have been wrong, and certainly wont be the last. I wish they had put it somewhere else, far far away, but at least they are only infecting areas that are already over run with liberal soy types.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 13 November 2018, 20:41
giving you a number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Pretty much makes it official since it comes from the WaPo. Crystal City (sorry, Sharky) and Long Island City.

Link here.
Yeah, wait till they all have to commute to work...
Old 14 November 2018, 06:45
Authorized Personnel

King Cuomo has assured taxpayers in NY that it is only going to cost the taxpayers $48,000 per job for the NY branch. Those are the tax breaks they are giving Amazon broken down per job.
Old 14 November 2018, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
Downtown at the site of the old Lifeway building. Looks like more congestion for a traffic system that is already a decade behind demand.
I'd like to be the guy selling construction barrels to TDOT right now.....
Old 14 November 2018, 15:55
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
I can't imagine NOVA handling that many more people. They better add another rail line.
I'm sure Metro will get right on that. Given Metro's typical efficiency, the new line should come on line in about 20 years.

This is going to make everyone's commute suck even more. I can't imagine what I-95 is going to look like once we dump another 25K people right outside DC. They're going to have to make I-95 a double-decker highway...
Old 14 November 2018, 16:04
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic4070 View Post
I'm sure Metro will get right on that. Given Metro's typical efficiency, the new line should come on line in about 20 years.

This is going to make everyone's commute suck even more. I can't imagine what I-95 is going to look like once we dump another 25K people right outside DC. They're going to have to make I-95 a double-decker highway...
I can't even....the mixing bowl and the commute on a Friday down to let's say Richmond.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 14 November 2018, 16:09
Authorized Personnel

I don't think they are moving 25k people into these areas.

People with jobs now will take new jobs if they are better than their current ones. The vacuum left will be filled by people moving up.

It works that way from management to the people stuffing things in boxes.

Now I can see the commute getting shitty for people trying to cross town for their new jobs, because people typically don't account for travel times when they take that brand new job at $1 more an hour. They just see $1 more an hour or whatever it ends up being.
Old 14 November 2018, 16:49
Administrator

Except historical facts of new business coming into locations proves you wrong.

There may not be a 1 for 1 ratio of new people coming to the area, but there will be a large increase for sure.
Old 14 November 2018, 16:55

Enjoying watching the NY Libs melt down against this.....They want everything for free but they are against creating taxpayers.....
Old 14 November 2018, 17:36
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Except historical facts of new business coming into locations proves you wrong.

There may not be a 1 for 1 ratio of new people coming to the area, but there will be a large increase for sure.
So what's the ratio?

Are you saying Amazon is going to focus on hiring new people and put a moratorium on hiring qualified people who already live there with jobs?

Or that people there with jobs aren't going to want potentially better/higher paying ones?

This isn't like discovering fracking in North Dakota or anything where people are coming from all over the country to make tons of money they can't make anywhere else.

It's more office jobs for office people. I bet that 75% or more of the workforce will come from people already there, simply moving up to the next higher position.

People are reacting like 25 thousand people are just packing up and leaving from god knows where to relocate to Crystal City to work for Amazon...

Amazon chose these places because the workforce is already there.
Old 14 November 2018, 17:44
Administrator

Amazon choose those places because they ponied up the most money and made the most concessions.

As to your other argument, facts and history don't support you. No large corporation moved a HQ (sub HQ whatever) to a location that wasn't in a huge downtrodden/unemployed location without significant numbers of people relocating to the area.

Even if your logic was accurate, someone would need to fill the lower rung jobs you speak of. Last I checked they aren't just milling around the streets waiting for employment.
Old 14 November 2018, 17:53
Drawing my cutlass

Almost needless to say, if Amazon starts poaching top flight talent from NoVA, MD and DC companies then those organizations will start recruiting both locally and nationally to replace their intellectual capital.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 14 November 2018, 18:08

Amazon will do this as sure as the Sun comes up. They are most likely doing it now.
Old 14 November 2018, 18:52
pumpin gas and kickin ass

I think more so than population pressure being an outcome, there will be 'gentrification' - you know the process where progressives complain that neighborhoods get cleaned up and price out welfare recipients.

It's going to be awesome hearing them bitch in 5 years that the homeless problem was created by the 'gentrification' Amazon brought to the neighborhood.
Old 14 November 2018, 20:18
Drawing my cutlass

There may be another reason why A-zon - can we call it that yet? - choose Crystal City: proximity to the Patent and Trademark Office, which is just down the street.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 15 November 2018, 09:12
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
There may be another reason why A-zon - can we call it that yet? - choose Crystal City: proximity to the Patent and Trademark Office, which is just down the street.
Why would they need to be close to that?
Old 15 November 2018, 10:23
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Why would they need to be close to that?
I suspect that the campus will have its fair share of R&D facilities, scientists and engineers. Not a large leap to consider that they will be filing for patents on AI, robotics and other technologies.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 15 November 2018, 10:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I suspect that the campus will have its fair share of R&D facilities, scientists and engineers. Not a large leap to consider that they will be filing for patents on AI, robotics and other technologies.
I'm sure they'll have a lot of patents, but so does almost every other business in the US and they all manage to file for approval without being close to the Patent Office. I mean SpaceX probably has some of the most unique patents right now and they're in CA.

They can file them electronically now and they charge you $400 if you still want to mail it in, and you have to fill out extra paperwork, but you definitely don't drop it off at the PTO.

I think it's a combination of Bezos residing in DC and the ease of being able to hire the types of white collar workers he'll need.

You couldn't pay me twice my current salary to work for Amazon though - no work/life balance.
Old 15 November 2018, 11:30
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I'm sure they'll have a lot of patents, but so does almost every other business in the US and they all manage to file for approval without being close to the Patent Office. I mean SpaceX probably has some of the most unique patents right now and they're in CA.

They can file them electronically now and they charge you $400 if you still want to mail it in, and you have to fill out extra paperwork, but you definitely don't drop it off at the PTO.

I think it's a combination of Bezos residing in DC and the ease of being able to hire the types of white collar workers he'll need.

You couldn't pay me twice my current salary to work for Amazon though - no work/life balance.
True, but if I remember correctly there’s a process for fast tracking a filing. Being around the flag pole wouldn’t hurt especially for such a behemoth like Amazon.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 15 November 2018, 13:01
Authorized Personnel

Some of the numbers and a timeline for the CC part of the HQ

https://www.adamisaacson.com/blog/bl...Jf2mi_88LWOIK4

Our new posting rules