SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 13 November 2018, 00:31
Moving Target

Nascar Legend David Pearson Passed

I know a lot of you don't know him because he was big back in the 60's and 70's but I remember him because his car was built right up the road from me here in Virginia by the Woods Brothers Racing Team.I have fond memories of watching the races with my dad when I was a kid. The Silver Fox is who we wanted to win and beat Petty though we liked Petty also because my Grandfather was good friends with Lee Petty and Richard. I remember going to the Petty house and playing with Kyle and the other kids when I was young while my Grandfather hung out with Lee, the were both WWII vets.cool memories.
Old 13 November 2018, 08:40
Been There Done That

I was always a Pearson, Petty, Tiny Lund and Buddy Baker fan growing up, saw him and the other racing legends race at the old Smokey Mountain Raceway. RIP David, one more lap for old times sake.
Old 13 November 2018, 08:45
Been There Done That

Legendary Racer. RIP.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 13 November 2018, 09:22
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
I was always a Pearson, Petty, Tiny Lund and Buddy Baker fan growing up, saw him and the other racing legends race at the old Smokey Mountain Raceway. RIP David, one more lap for old times sake.
I grew up in a family that enjoyed racing (albeit my Step dad was a drag racer), but Buddy Baker was always my favorite. But, yeah, the Pearsons, Pettys, and the Yarboroughs were always guys we watched.
Old 13 November 2018, 09:38
Confirmed User

He was always one of my dads favorite along with Buddy Baker, Junior Johnson and Bobby Allison.

My father always states that this was when "racing was racing".

I didn't start watching Nascar till I was almost in my teens. We went to a lot of dirt track races around Columbus and Southern Ohio.
Old 13 November 2018, 10:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
I grew up in a family that enjoyed racing (albeit my Step dad was a drag racer), but Buddy Baker was always my favorite. But, yeah, the Pearsons, Pettys, and the Yarboroughs were always guys we watched.
Buddy used to tell a story about wrecking at Smokey Mountain raceway, broke some ribs and got banged up pretty good as I remember. My cousins ran the ...'rescue squad' for the racetrack. They got Buddy in the back then gunned the engine, back doors or the tailgate flew open and back across the track went Buddy Baker still strapped to the gurney....needless to say, that ended the rescue squad business (I don't even think they had a real ambulance and used their car or truck they painted up with red crosses and other shit like lights and such)....I wasn't there when it happened (can't remember if I was even born when it happened), my Dad was there and loved to tell the story about Buddy Baker flipped over on a gurney and trying to wave and flag the drivers down with his good arm....

...and I agree with what's been stated, they were race car drivers back then--and they raced each other hard and from the heart.
Old 13 November 2018, 11:24
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Buddy used to tell a story about wrecking at Smokey Mountain raceway, broke some ribs and got banged up pretty good as I remember. My cousins ran the ...'rescue squad' for the racetrack. They got Buddy in the back then gunned the engine, back doors or the tailgate flew open and back across the track went Buddy Baker still strapped to the gurney....needless to say, that ended the rescue squad business (I don't even think they had a real ambulance and used their car or truck they painted up with red crosses and other shit like lights and such)....I wasn't there when it happened (can't remember if I was even born when it happened), my Dad was there and loved to tell the story about Buddy Baker flipped over on a gurney and trying to wave and flag the drivers down with his good arm....

...and I agree with what's been stated, they were race car drivers back then--and they raced each other hard and from the heart.
Yeah, Sterling Marlin was the last guy who I really knew who he was and watched. I haven't watched NASCAR in years.
Dale & Dale Jr had the big names, etc. But, other than a couple names like Stewart and Busch, I couldn't pick out a name I really know
Old 13 November 2018, 12:52
Confirmed User

My dad still watches it occasionally but we have not been to a race in double digit years. Heck we lived by the track in Richmond for 17years (I went once), and I live just up the road from Charlotte Motorway Speedway and still nothing.

Back in the day my favorite was Darrell Waltrip and when he retired I became a Sterling Marlin fan.

I met him at a BW3 in Columbus OH a couple of days after the Atlanta Race. I great guy, and signed a ton of things. We sat and talked forever.

This was quite a few years back, and a group of us was walking from the parking area to head towards where all the concessions and souvenir trailers were located outside the main gate of Charlotte.

My dad stopped and was surveying the parking area. He turned to me and said you know this is the downward slide. When there are about as many Aldis, BMW and Mercedes in the lot as pickups, nothing good can come from it.

I wish we had the money and I was old enough and able to comprehend how truly awesome and unique these drivers were.
Old 13 November 2018, 12:56
Confirmed User

For all of the history fans on the forum and someday when any of you are passing through Durham on to anywhere else, there is a special piece of Nascar near by.

Occoneechee Speedway was one of the first two NASCAR tracks to open. It closed in 1968 and is the only dirt track remaining from the inaugural 1949 season

The site is now heavily forested with pines and sycamores. The grandstands are still visible, as is much of the mile–long oval track.

It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and now comprises 44 acres (180,000 m2) with over 3 miles (4.8 km) of trails. A walking trail was built in 2003 that crisscrosses the clay track.

Fireball Roberts, Richard Petty, Ned Jarrett and Junior Johnson all raced there.

It is pretty cool and I am trying to get my mom and dad to stop through in the spring when I can take him to see it.
Old 13 November 2018, 16:16
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I used to enjoy Nascar back when it had a bunch of drivers who had a lot of personality. Cale Yarborough, Richard Petty and the rest. David Pearson was definitely part of that group. And the cars were a lot closer to stock, and a fan could drive something pretty close to what their favorite driver buckled into on Sundays.

Buddy Baker I recall broke the 200 mph barrier on a closed course track with his Dodge Daytona, I think it was at Talladega. These days, a stock car bears no resemblance to whatever nameplate they're hanging on it.
Old 13 November 2018, 18:41
The atomic zit

I pass by the ole Wilkesboro Speedway just off of 421N from time to time when I head west to go fishing fur specks.

Quoted from wiki wiki:

North Wilkesboro native & NASCAR driver Benny Parsons recalled of the era "Trust me, there was nothing to do in the mountains of North Carolina back in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. You either worked at a hosiery mill, a furniture factory, or you made whiskey."
Old 13 November 2018, 19:13
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Looking at Pearson's bio, I see that him and Petty combined for the most 1st/2nd place finishes, 63, with Pearson winning more of them. Nobody other than him and Petty have cracked triple digits when it comes to wins on the NASCAR circuit.
Old 13 November 2018, 21:02
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Looking at Pearson's bio, I see that him and Petty combined for the most 1st/2nd place finishes, 63, with Pearson winning more of them. Nobody other than him and Petty have cracked triple digits when it comes to wins on the NASCAR circuit.
Ya, and I may be wrong, but as I recall, Pearson also ran part time some of his years too.

Saw them all on dirt in my youth over in Waycross driving those big cars with tail fins.

RIP Mr. Pearson.
Old 14 November 2018, 00:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post

Yep. I'm an amateur NASCAR historian. There was a time Petty & Pearson won every other race.

You would like Clint Boyer in the 14 car if you're looking for personality. Funniest guy in the Sport. Hard racer.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Our new posting rules