SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 3 August 2018, 15:42
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemTech View Post

"An EF-3 winds reportedly swept through the Carr fire"

I saw some video of it - looked like something straight out of Hell.
That's an apt description, to say the least:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses...12175173672960

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 3 August 2018, 15:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
An EF-3 winds reportedly swept through the Carr fire. They were clocked at 143 MPH. Fire created weather is pretty amazing and downright deadly.

As reported by NWS.

I would still rather do wildland suppression than be on a structure assignment.
Here's some aerial footage of it. At the bottom of the article there's also a short clip of a fire whirl. Scary shit.

https://www.kcra.com/article/nws-red...peeds/22631009
Old 3 August 2018, 15:54
Anesthetized User

I have seen footage of FF’s getting caught up in a fire tornado then it flung their smoldering bodies into the sagebrush.

It was the Eagle Fire in CA IIRC.

Support SOCNET.
Old 4 August 2018, 04:38
Livin' On Blues Power

Friend lost most of his ranch. This was all that was left of his two ranch rifles when the safe melted. One .223, and one .300 BLK. The .300 had a scope on it. No trace of it now. All aluminum and glass melted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quads_randy.jpg (49.3 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg rifles_carr_fire_randy.jpg (31.8 KB, 451 views)
Old 4 August 2018, 06:28
Been There Done That

I do not envy anyone living in the mountains out west right now. I lived , worked and hunted in Grand County, Co for many years. It was the epicenter of the beetle kill devastation in the state. A huge swath right now from New Mexico to BC is prime for a blaze. As KidA, Wowzers and a few others have pointed out, the reason for this is rather complex and took many years to get to this point. You could not pay me enough money to fight a fire right now, but am glad their are still those out there with the fortitude to do so.
Old 4 August 2018, 20:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post

The Aussies send help...
We do have ample experience with extensive remote area fires...or running away from them.

Will never forget working in one of the most remote locations in Australia, on a long-range Police patrol, and coming across a fire. I raced that thing for 2 hours, in the very capable Police Landcruiser, on a dirt track made of shards of shale, praying I didn't get a flat. Had that thing over 100km/h most of the way, and that damn fire kept up with me for 2 scary hours. There were singe marks on the 'cruiser when I checked it afterwards.

If that thing had hit a community, no one would have survived. During the dry season, the constant winds were/are insane.

Have been watching the fires on the news, and there seem to be countless agencies involved. The coordination alone would be a nightmare.
Old 4 August 2018, 20:22
Never to old to learn

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
We do have ample experience with extensive remote area fires...or running away from them.

Will never forget working in one of the most remote locations in Australia, on a long-range Police patrol, and coming across a fire. I raced that thing for 2 hours, in the very capable Police Landcruiser, on a dirt track made of shards of shale, praying I didn't get a flat. Had that thing over 100km/h most of the way, and that damn fire kept up with me for 2 scary hours. There were singe marks on the 'cruiser when I checked it afterwards.

If that thing had hit a community, no one would have survived. During the dry season, the constant winds were/are insane.

Have been watching the fires on the news, and there seem to be countless agencies involved. The coordination alone would be a nightmare.
THANKS for sending the Australia Fire Fighter to CA they arrived yeaterday
Old 4 August 2018, 20:27
Never to old to learn

There has been a USMC Guy working day & night hauling Horse's an other
Live stock that got left behind or the people could not get them moved.

Thank You

Went to get in my truck an there was ash from the FIRE's all over my truck
Old 14 August 2018, 12:23
Confirmed User

Six firefighters have now been killed across California in the past few weeks fighting these wildfires. The latest casualty passed away yesterday and was from Utah.

RIP brothers.
Old 14 August 2018, 18:52
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
Six firefighters have now been killed across California in the past few weeks fighting these wildfires. The latest casualty passed away yesterday and was from Utah.

RIP brothers.
Fire fighters is from the Draper, Utah Fire Dept. 11, A classmate back in 63 use to work at that station an is retired from there. He has only heard bit & pics of what happened. The fire fighters name is Matt Burchett, 42 years old, married and one son. Thank you for the prayers.

RIP

Last edited by wildman43; 14 August 2018 at 19:19.
Old 16 August 2018, 16:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
Right now the CARR fire had done more damage an land burned than all the fires in the last 50 Years.

What get me is the Bulldozer Driver that was killed was a civilian that was hired to drive the Bulldozer. HE WAS 81 years Old. may he RIP.
trying to outrun the fire in a bulldozer. Kudos to the pilots flying the helos who were running water drops on him.

Quote:
Smith was trying to improve a previously constructed a fire line near the Buckeye Water Treatment Plant outside Redding after 5 p.m. on July 26 when other firefighters noticed "a rapid increase in fire activity."

It jumped the fire line and a Cal Fire crew chief said he made several radio attempts to tell Smith to "get out of there." Two firefighters in the area also "recognized the urgency of the situation" and tried to reach Smith on foot but had to turn back because of the encroaching flames.

Smith reported that he was cut off by the fire and was pushing on in his 2002 John Deere open cab bulldozer in an attempt to reach a safe area. He also requested water drops and four helicopters began dropping water through the smoke and flames around Smith's last known location.

Once the smoke cleared, a pilot saw that Smith's dozer had been engulfed in flames and there was no sign of the protective metallic tent that firefighters deploy as a desperate measure when they are about to be overrun by fire. After two attempts, a fire captain was able to reach the bulldozer two hours later and confirmed that Smith was dead.
Old 24 August 2018, 21:29
Anesthetized User

Verizonís contribution to Californiaís firefighting efforts.

I am sure California lawmakers have been compensated in some way that will allow Verizon to skate.

https://www.kcra.com/article/verizon...nders/22823971

Support SOCNET.
Old 10 November 2018, 10:22
Anesthetized User

About 1.25 hours north is the decent sized city of Chico. Just to the north of that was the city of Paradise smaller than Chico but lots of people lived there and it was thriving. Its almost all gone.

6,700 structures destroyed. I think most were lost overnight.

About 250,000 people evacuated in 24 hours from all fires in the state.

Pres. Trump finally said what everyone knows. California's forests have been horribly mismanaged.

36 hours into this thing and it has already been called the most costly fire since record keeping started.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018...ss-than-a-day/

Support SOCNET.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 10 November 2018 at 10:40.
Old 10 November 2018, 10:53
Confirmed User

Iíve been following this since last night and it looks devastating. On social media, a lot of people are trying to get information on loved ones in the area, especially the elderly who donít have cell phones. Hopefully these people made it to safety.

On the news this morning, they were criticizing the Presidentís comments. Imagine that!
Old 10 November 2018, 15:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
Iíve been following this since last night and it looks devastating. On social media, a lot of people are trying to get information on loved ones in the area, especially the elderly who donít have cell phones. Hopefully these people made it to safety.

On the news this morning, they were criticizing the Presidentís comments. Imagine that!
Yep. Libs and the media will wail and gnash their teeth over those nasty hateful things the President said...the dems in Congress will do the same and blame President Trump for the destruction...and nothing will get done.

Then in awhile the same thing will happen. Rinse wash repeat.

Unfortunately this applies to more issues than just forest fires.

I hope the President follows through and refuses to allow any federal funds or agencies to be involved (including handcrews, engine companies, smokejumpers et al from the FS and NPS though most are probably done for the year anyway). Until a coherent plan of thinning, logging, controlled burns and prescribed burns comes into being this is money down a black hole.

As much as I feel sorry for those who lost loved ones, their homes and livelihoods, this is the end result of decades of failed environmental policies enacted by those they elected.

It is often painful when you get what you asked for- sometimes it just takes awhile for the bruise to appear.
Old 10 November 2018, 15:50
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakers View Post
As much as I feel sorry for those who lost loved ones, their homes and livelihoods, this is the end result of decades of failed environmental policies enacted by those they elected.
No, it's not. This is the result of policies enacted by those that San Francisco elected. The folks that live in the country suffer the results of votes from the mob rule from the cities.

I'm putting together supplies and having people drive them up and deliver to a few families I know with kids. Everything is gone but at least they have each other.
People died in their cars. Skeletons remain, some practically cremated. The fire came so fast with little warning. Most people that left in time had to drive through the fire, with both sides of the road aflame. You only had the 3 roads going south/west to leave by since the north path was a no go.
Paradise is lost. Very little remains recognizable. Magilia is threatened and hopefully doesn't fall as well.

My heart aches for everyone affected. Please, people, if you ever get notice to evacuate don't delay. Just go.
Old 10 November 2018, 16:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
No, it's not. This is the result of policies enacted by those that San Francisco elected. The folks that live in the country suffer the results of votes from the mob rule from the cities.
And the ones that moved there from the cities? Or the people in Malibu right now? What about them?

I can't guess how bad it would be to lose everything that fast- I do feel sorry for those involved, even those getting what they asked for.

But at the end of the day this is the result of inappropriate environmental practises, and overly aggressive fire suppression- this has been a known problem for decades- Yellowstone should have been a deafening wakeup call but wasn't. Until politicians pull their heads out, of get voted out, what will change?

Changes need to happen in the West or this will continue, especially in Cali. I hope President Trump keeps the pressure on now, while it's still fresh and ongoing, before people have a chance to forget and the media loses interest.

Some states and agencies are already exploring other options and trying prescribed burns- this needs to happen quicker, on a larger scale, and other methods (thinning and letting more fires burn naturaly IF it can be done safely) need to be done. And people need to realise that the people they elected are the ones keeping change from happening.
Old 11 November 2018, 19:30
Did...did I do that?

Space.com has some stunning photos of the fires. Be careful if you're out there.

Mendocino (August)

Camp

Shortwave IR of Camp
Old 11 November 2018, 19:52
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post

I'm putting together supplies and having people drive them up and deliver to a few families I know with kids. Everything is gone but at least they have each other.
People died in their cars. Skeletons remain, some practically cremated. The fire came so fast with little warning. Most people that left in time had to drive through the fire, with both sides of the road aflame. You only had the 3 roads going south/west to leave by since the north path was a no go.
Paradise is lost. Very little remains recognizable. Magilia is threatened and hopefully doesn't fall as well.

My heart aches for everyone affected. Please, people, if you ever get notice to evacuate don't delay. Just go.
I am in the 916, 95820.

I can help during the day. PM me as needed.

Support SOCNET.
Old 11 November 2018, 20:09
Red Headed Stepchild

I was flying into Oakland from Asia on a work trip this summer on a clear night. We could see an orange glow to the left from further out than you would probably believe if I gave the number of miles. We ruled out a 6 hour early sunrise, and moonrise since it was already up before we figured out what it was. You see fires like that in Alaska but they don't generally have city lights near them. Pretty sobering.

Our new posting rules