Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Naval Special Warfare Recruitment and Prep

Old 27 December 2015, 18:01
Confirmed User

Are neck bridges effective/safe preparation for elephant races?

Was going to post in the fitness forum, but the question really pertains to a BUD/S-specific evolution, boats on heads... I hear different answers from a number of places, and was very curious of the experiences/opinions of members here. I just know a lot of real good, strong guys that dropped because of this evolution, and want to prepare for it as much as I can. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
Old 27 December 2015, 18:31
Not quite right...

I'm probably going to get raped for chiming in outta my lane,

but I couldn't resist...

I'd think the best prep for boats on heads is simply being a short MF'er
Old 27 December 2015, 20:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
I'm probably going to get raped for chiming in outta my lane,

but I couldn't resist...

I'd think the best prep for boats on heads is simply being a short MF'er
Haha. I'm nowhere near short, wish that were an option.
Old 27 December 2015, 21:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig View Post
I just know a lot of real good, strong guys that dropped because of this evolution
No you don't. There have been no "real good, strong guys" that had this as their breaking point. Sounds like excuses. In the overall cornucopia of the degradations of BUD/S, I barely even remember this being a "blip" on the radar screen.
Old 27 December 2015, 21:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
No you don't. There have been no "real good, strong guys" that had this as their breaking point. Sounds like excuses. In the overall cornucopia of the degradations of BUD/S, I barely even remember this being a "blip" on the radar screen.
Sounds like I've been listening to the wrong people. Thank you.
Old 28 December 2015, 09:26
Been There Done That

I never considered the boat on the head before I went to BUD/S and it never stuck out as a point of misery above any other physical segment of training when I was actually going through it.
Old 28 December 2015, 14:25
Been There Done That

If your neck hurts while under the boat its because someone isn't putting out. You will do more than enough neck exercises to accommodate. FWIW, I have a skinny ass neck, the worse thing I remember is my scalp being raw from the friction.
Old 28 December 2015, 17:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfrogTX View Post
I never considered the boat on the head before I went to BUD/S and it never stuck out as a point of misery above any other physical segment of training when I was actually going through it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pati39 View Post
If your neck hurts while under the boat its because someone isn't putting out. You will do more than enough neck exercises to accommodate. FWIW, I have a skinny ass neck, the worse thing I remember is my scalp being raw from the friction.
It's insane how different the perspectives are, the unsuccessful vs successful.. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to reply. Thank you.
Old 29 December 2015, 14:33
Administrator

You won't feel the neck pain until you are in your 50's. A couple of Docs I know call it "BUD/S neck" Basically bone spurs in your C6 - C7 spinal column. a number of Team guys I know have it, including me.
Old 29 December 2015, 17:16
Confirmed User

I'm sure it was worth it, sir. Thanks for replying.
Old 5 February 2016, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
You won't feel the neck pain until you are in your 50's. A couple of Docs I know call it "BUD/S neck" Basically bone spurs in your C6 - C7 spinal column. a number of Team guys I know have it, including me.
Car flipped, landed on roof, gave me a good shot to the neck. Have had several neck injuries over yrs. from BJJ. Suffered severe concussions several months ago. CAT scan showed bone spurs EXACTLY as you describe.

Pain is getting slightly worse as time passes. Some days, it hurts from wake to sleep.

Any advice? It really sucks. Hasn't stopped me from doing anything, but it is very unpleasant. The spurs worry me.
Old 5 February 2016, 20:35
Administrator

Only fix is surgery. I'm just putting it off as long as the Motrin works.
Old 20 February 2016, 21:13

I don't remember any guys quitting because of carrying the boats on our heads, it was the cold, tired, miserableness that rang the bell. The only preparation for BUD/S is a mindset that you won't quit, it worked for me and I was only 5' 10" 170 pounds. Now I am in my 50's and feel it all over again, but still does not slow me down. Motrin worked in BUD/S and still works today.
Old 21 February 2016, 12:18
Confirmed User

Thanks Mr. Barnes, working on that mindset every day.
Old 28 February 2016, 11:31
Been There Done That

FWIW, shortly before BUD/S I started doing weighted neck raises because it's what knew from wrestling, and I didn't want to do neck arches. Plus, you can modulate the weight you're using. 25 years later I'm still using the same harness and I've never had a neck problem. Plenty of knee, back and shoulder issues, but no neck.

Mike-
Old 28 February 2016, 13:35
Confirmed User

I've had one in my amazon shopping cart for a while now, definitely gonna press the button now. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12 April 2016, 14:42
Darwin Award Presenter

Quote:
Only fix is surgery. I'm just putting it off as long as the Motrin works.
Apologies for swimming out of my lane, but Frog is right on the money. Having worked with many world class surgeons, the honest ones will tell you that there is a 1 in 4 chance of something going wrong when they put scalpel to skin. Avoid it at all costs. besides, cutting into one's neck is no picnic.

Back to my lane.

Medic
Old 29 July 2016, 15:19
My ERB's on SOCNET

Also wildly out of my lane, however...

As regards neck surgery, roger all above. My wife had C5-6 fusion and it was supposed to be her saving grace. Instead she's fucked for life at this point. "Occipital Neuralgia." In increasing the elevation of her neck they moved a blood vessel too close to a nerve, and now Tricare won't pay to fix it.

There is no such thing as "simple" surgery. None of it.

Sorry, thought that might be useful. Take Motrin 'til your liver breaks then re-assess.

Our new posting rules