Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 12 February 2017, 18:04
The Sagacious One

My biggest issue with Sig is the dropping quality and the external extractor. On the other hand, the TLE II is the best value in the Kimber line. Front strap checker in, night sights and now, VZ grips, don't pay more than $1000. Out the door.

Keep in mind that Gavin buys his pistols in yoga pants and Jaffo's wife picks out his pistols. Just saying . not that that's all bad, just that you should get her opinion not his.
Old 12 February 2017, 21:38
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
My biggest issue with Sig is the dropping quality and the external extractor.
You're not the first person I've heard say that. Do the external extractors have a bad rap because of the early Kimbers or is it a reliability issue?
Old 13 February 2017, 06:09
Confirmed User

Very helpful, thanks to all for taking the time to respond. Based on what I'm reading here these weapons were overpriced, even with the 15% discount he threw at me.
Old 13 February 2017, 08:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
Keep in mind that Gavin buys his pistols in yoga pants...
They make pants for pistols now? And it makes the pistol more tactical? I learn the coolest stuff from TFG!
Old 13 February 2017, 12:10
Confirmed User

Had some range time yesterday with a good friend, along with our oldest daughters, who are best friends. His daughter is going through a bad breakup; her husband literally walked out one night after laying the baby down, so she wanted some recoil therapy.

She put about 100 rounds through my 22, and maybe 150 through my Beretta Storm, and liked them well enough.

Then she put 1 mag through my Kimber, and announced to her dad that she wanted a 1911!
Old 13 February 2017, 17:49
Anesthetized User

New SA

Complete impulse buy. But, I had to have it. IMO, to heavy for EDC. I'll take it hiking, camping, I have my G19 for EDC, I just thought this pistol was sexy. Found some 8rd CMC Power Mags for 22 bucks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (36.0 KB, 334 views)

Support SOCNET.
Old 13 February 2017, 18:02
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
They make pants for pistols now? And it makes the pistol more tactical? I learn the coolest stuff from TFG!
You're welcome, Brother. Who loves you more than me?
Old 13 February 2017, 19:18
Confirmed User

Got a Springfield Loaded a couple of years ago when they had the free mags promo similar to the current one for the XD's. I like the aesthetics, history and the plethora of grips. Haven't actually replaced the grips but I liked looking at the possibilities when I first got it . The front slide serrations are helpful as using the rear serrations often get in the way of the safety.

Dislike the takedown procedure after getting spoiled by the 5s takedowns of most striker pistols. I need an Allen wrench to start the takedown; would have to replace the guide rod to make it tool-less.

Last edited by Xenophon; 13 February 2017 at 19:23.
Old 14 February 2017, 09:49
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
You're not the first person I've heard say that. Do the external extractors have a bad rap because of the early Kimbers or is it a reliability issue?
Its just not how the gun was designed. Kimbers external extractor was a disaster. I have not heard anyone that owns one complain about the external extractor, just a pet peeve on my part.

Its almost as if they are trying to combine the engineering of the high power with the 1911. YMMV.
Old 15 February 2017, 16:04
Walk the plank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Got a Springfield Loaded a couple of years ago when they had the free mags promo similar to the current one for the XD's. I like the aesthetics, history and the plethora of grips. Haven't actually replaced the grips but I liked looking at the possibilities when I first got it . The front slide serrations are helpful as using the rear serrations often get in the way of the safety.

Dislike the takedown procedure after getting spoiled by the 5s takedowns of most striker pistols. I need an Allen wrench to start the takedown; would have to replace the guide rod to make it tool-less.
The current promo isnt just for XDs. I submitted a few days ago for an RO Operator and just received confirmation of it being processed earlier today. GO buy up and enjoy the $100 in mags. Hopefully the promo holster isnt the same one that came with the gun as its a POS.
Old 15 February 2017, 17:46
Confirmed User

Thx for the correction, promo is for all 9mm, .40, and .45 Springfield pistols. The mag holster they sent for me was the same as the one it came with. It's better suited for something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QEA23c7ea8
Old 17 February 2017, 15:19

Xeno,
You're really going to love your Operator. I carried one on duty and CCW'd it LOL. It functioned flawlessly with good quality mags (Wilson Combat is what I used). Springfield customer service is absolutely awesome as well. Send in your warranty registration card so you do don't have to worry about it.
Old 18 February 2017, 08:01
Midgetologist

Sig is now making a 10MM Tac-ops.
Old 18 February 2017, 13:08
Confirmed User

I am looking for a new CW to carry, use to have a Sig that had a mag for 15 rds. Not in CA any more.

My 1911 is a little big to carry as CW.
Old 18 February 2017, 14:20
Confirmed User

Sig P938 is basically a compact 1911 for concealed carry, will be expensive though through PPT as it's off roster now. The CA version of the M&P Shield seems popular.
Old 18 February 2017, 14:45
Midgetologist

Quote:
Its just not how the gun was designed. Kimbers external extractor was a disaster. I have not heard anyone that owns one complain about the external extractor, just a pet peeve on my part.

Its almost as if they are trying to combine the engineering of the high power with the 1911. YMMV.
If you want to change your external extractor you are limited to the proprietary parts from the maker.

Unlike internal where you can buy a Wilson, Ed Brown etc.

So I checked out the Sig Tac-ops 10mm. Brand new weapon just in this AM. Rear sight was loose as was the grips. Filthy from the factory and whoever packed it didn't even wipe it down. I would have been embarassed if I brought in a weapon to trade or sell in that condition. LGS owner was not happy, I implored him to send it back with a nasty note.
Old 18 February 2017, 18:24
Confirmed User

Picked this up today for just a bit over $900. Again, appreciate everyone's input as it certainly guided my research and final decision. We're going camping tomorrow - Monday, so I'll get to break it in. ETA: I think I may have overpaid a bit, but fuck it. I wanted immediate gratification.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SA Operator1a.jpg (74.0 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by RN47; 18 February 2017 at 18:47.
Old 20 February 2017, 09:13
Midgetologist

Very nice RN.
Old 20 February 2017, 09:49
FIDO

That's a nice 1911. I have the same one expect it not SS. I put the flat wire spring in per GPCs suggestion and notice a difference. Otherwise it's a great shooter.
Old 21 February 2017, 20:47
Only slightly useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN47 View Post
Picked this up today for just a bit over $900. Again, appreciate everyone's input as it certainly guided my research and final decision. We're going camping tomorrow - Monday, so I'll get to break it in. ETA: I think I may have overpaid a bit, but fuck it. I wanted immediate gratification.
Is it wrong that I think that picture is sexier than the cover of the latest SI swimsuit issue?

" My Son is my new Hero"

Our new posting rules