SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 21 September 2012, 12:07
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMeany 5 View Post
Has anybody with a 3Gs updated their software. I did and now it says my SIM is not valid......ergo, no service!

I have a 3Gs and it upgraded to iOS6 just fine.

Obvious troubleshooting question: have you removed and reseated your SIM?

If the iOS upgrade worked and it is just the SIM card that is bad, you should be able to (if you're CONUS and can get to a store) get a new SIM from your service provider. Shouldn't take them more than 5 min to put a new SIM in your phone.

Last edited by GackMan; 21 September 2012 at 12:33.
Old 21 September 2012, 12:08
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

GM5 -- was your phone jailbroken prior to updating the OS????
Old 21 September 2012, 12:53
I ♣ Hippies!

Got a new SIM......no joy.

The phone is a factory unlocked phone. Meaning it came from the factory not locked to a cellular carrier.

If I could figure out where iTunes stored that backup. Plus I have re-synced it a few times so the backup with 5.1.1 may be lost.

Waiting to see if the AT&T folks can get me into see the techsperts at the local Apple Store.

Of course I have to deal with this on the day of the iPhone 5 release! LOL...

"The real problem of leisure time is how to keep others from using yours." ~Arthur Lacey
Old 21 September 2012, 13:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMeany 5 View Post
Has anybody with a 3Gs updated their software. I did and now it says my SIM is not valid......ergo, no service!
Upgraded my 3GS to iOS6 with no problems as far as the upgrade goes.

I am having a problem with Passbook, though. I open the app, then click on the button to go to the app store and I get an error message that says it can't connect to iTunes Store.

I saw online somewhere that people were able to make it work after turning off the auto update for their clock then changing the year to 2013, but that didn't work for me.
Old 21 September 2012, 13:25
Authorized Personnel

I'm thinking about finally upgrading my 3Gs with a busted screen (well, cracked in a couple places but not totally busted) to a 5... but I'll wait until the lines die down.

Although... getting a haircut today and the AT&T Store is right next to the baber shop so I'll stick my head in and see what they have.
Old 21 September 2012, 13:48
I ♣ Hippies!

Fixed....

The AT&T folks are not sure what they did. The new SIM did not work, the Apple folks said to put yet another SIM into the phone. As the AT&T tech was putting the third new SIM into it, she was told not to do it because the system was backed up due to all the new activations. She put the second new SIM back into the phone and it worked fine.

Just FM I guess....

At any rate, thanks for the idea solutions.

GM5

"The real problem of leisure time is how to keep others from using yours." ~Arthur Lacey
Old 29 September 2012, 18:51
Lost to PTSD AUG 2014 RIP Brother

Has anyone run the update for Lion 10.7.5? I just did it tonight and wish I hadn't. No more Google search bar in the upper right corner of the browser. Even if you have Google specified as your default search engine, the query is sent through Yahoo search. Apple thought it would be better to put 1 URL bar where you can type in classic www's, and use that same bar for boolean searches. I really don't get it unless they have some type of beef with Google. Also, the tabs are ridiculously wide and look sloppy.

Im done with Safari until they bring back some type of Google extension so I can put search terms in and get my feedback from big G. I have a feeling a lot of people will be dropping Safari after they do the upgrade and boot up.
Old 4 November 2013, 11:55

Anyone else upgrade to OSX 10.9, yet?

Did it last night (had to do it overnight due to the bandwidth issues of downloading the upgrade).

So far, I've found a few bugs -- but pretty much what I had read prior to doing the upgrade. The one thing I like? My "notifications" thingy now works again -- so I get not only my mail notification, but my little window for keeping me on track with impending meetings or calls stays up. Yay....
Old 4 November 2013, 12:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post

Did it last night (had to do it overnight due to the bandwidth issues of downloading the upgrade).

So far, I've found a few bugs -- but pretty much what I had read prior to doing the upgrade. The one thing I like? My "notifications" thingy now works again -- so I get not only my mail notification, but my little window for keeping me on track with impending meetings or calls stays up. Yay....
I downloaded it the day they released it. And I love it.

Overall it's a better OS than any of the ones before. It has a few bugs but I assume those will be resolved in the next few weeks.

Apple Maps on the MBP is awesome. I now find it cumbersome to look for directions on google maps. The integration of everything works well for me.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 4 November 2013, 12:33
Glorified Babysitter

I upgraded the day it came out. I am pleased with it so far. I like the new notifications and I really enjoy the new tagging feature in Finder. I like some of the tweaks under the hood and have found that my MacBook Pro is a little snappier due to the memory tweaks.

Quote:

Old 8 May 2014, 16:28
Confirmed User

Apple's updated (05-07-2014) guidelines for law enforcement. Interesting reading.

http://www.apple.com/legal/more-reso...w-enforcement/
Old 8 May 2014, 20:11
Confirmed User

The Macka,house has 3 MacBook Pro's, an iMac 21 inch, 4 iPhones,,and 2 iPads.

All the computers have MS Office for Mac to overcome some school, employer software requirements.

We then them on and they work. I have one windows laptop leftover just in case we need it, but we are a Mac family.
Old 8 May 2014, 23:38
micro-aggressive

We've been a Mac family for 4 years, iEverything.
No issues with any of our devices until tonight - the wife's 13 month old MacBook Pro just coughed up the gray screen of death. I didn't even know there was such a thing.

Most likely a logic board or hard drive failure, USAA insurance will take care of it.
Old 9 May 2014, 14:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
I have one windows laptop leftover just in case we need it, but we are a Mac family.
We're mostly transitioned, save a gaming desktop PC that will most likely remain Windows (desktop side stuff is just plain cheaper and easier to upgrade when it's non-Mac).

For my next laptop I'm definitely going Mac, and will cover the mobile Windows-related needs with a VM. Might work in your case as well, and let you get rid of that leftover Windows laptop :).
Old 26 June 2014, 23:33

This is NOT a pro-Mac post. Actually, I'm a bit perturbed at Mac because of what happened, but said unhappiness might not be taking all things into proper context.

This morning while at a client's facility and during some downtime, I opened my laptop and thought I was going to work. Alas, notafuckingchance. It would not come out of hibernation and when I shut it down to start it again, a flashing file folder with a question mark appeared.

Huh? WTF!

In advance, YES, I did everything that all of the different threads on the subject suggested, less pulling out my HD and connecting another. And it didn't work. The most activity I managed was getting it to go to Internet Recovery -- NOT what I wanted.

So I remember reading in one of the many threads found on this subject that one of the writers thought it could be due to a loose cable. Well, when I was in the Corps, we had PRC47s. And on the side of the housing, it clearly stated that if the radio would not work, to gently tap on the side of the radio unit. Uh-huh -- define "gently tap" to jarheads.

Anyway, today and at about my whit's end, I picked up my computer and smacked it's bottom twice. And tried to start it in Safe Mode. And HOLY SHIT -- it worked!

So there you have it, Marine tech guidance works on Mac computers. I now can retire safe in the knowledge I have a career for my golden years -- dropkicking computers....
Old 27 June 2014, 04:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Anyway, today and at about my whit's end, I picked up my computer and smacked it's bottom twice. And tried to start it in Safe Mode. And HOLY SHIT -- it worked!

So there you have it, Marine tech guidance works on Mac computers. I now can retire safe in the knowledge I have a career for my golden years -- dropkicking computers....
I would make sure I had the requisite backups, FWIW, in case it's something other than a loose cable/wire...

It is not uncommon for a HDD (rotational disk, not SSD) to, towards the end of its lifespan (not the lifespan of the magnetic media, but the lifespan beyond which I deem it reliable) have a read head get stuck. The stopgap is normally to take the drive out, and from a few inches above a padded (but not mushy soft - something like a gym mat) surface, no shit, just drop it. Seems to jar it just enough to free up the read head. Think along the lines of a record player with the needle stuck on a divot in the vinyl.

This is no guarantee that that's what's transpired, nor that your disk is dying (and if it's an SSD, this doesn't even apply). But there is a method to the madness of "kick it in the nuts".
Old 27 June 2014, 07:46

^^^^Going to Office Depot this morning, bright and early, to buy a memory unit and make a Time Machine backup -- I have a backup in the US, but that does me no good in Mexico.

I also found out that my computer is still under warranty -- so good news there, too....
Old 27 June 2014, 08:34
Scoundrel

You should look into Carbon Copy Cloner. Make a bootable clone of your hard drive.

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...on+copy+cloner

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 27 June 2014, 08:50

^^^^OK, I'm sold. I just need to see if they sell that here in the teeny-tiny place I'm at. If not, they may have it in the city I normally reside in, but that won't be until Monday....
Old 27 June 2014, 09:40

OK, I'm seeing that CCC is a software added to whichever external HD you purchase. So I will be headed to Office Depot to find a self-powered HD for my backup/clone. If I can't find one here, whatever, I'll just get the best external HD I can.

I'll try and load CCC but if that isn't possible where I am and with my internet connection, I've found a couple of tutorials showing how to simply make a bootable HD using Disk Utility. So there's that, too.

Thanks for the reminder of the bootable clone, Time Machine is fine, but won't do shit if you have what happened to me yesterday and that "thing" is a damaged HD....

Our new posting rules