SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 26 June 2020, 21:24

Russian GRU offered Taliban bounties on Western kills in the Ghan

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/u...-bounties.html

Subscribing to the `the enemy of my enemy is my friend' theory, I can see the Talibs accepting aid from any hand that offered it, even their old enemies the Soviets.

But this piece sensationalizes the West/ Russia relationship; the bit about scrambling fighters to chase off bombers...that's been going on for decades, and is just part of an elaborate game.
Old 27 June 2020, 15:55

Who knows..maybe it's a lead up to the administration announcing links of
funding/training to Antifa, and some midnite door-kicking by the FBI.
Old 27 June 2020, 15:56
Shakin' the bush Boss

We were pumping all kinds of shit in there to kill the Russians with in the 80's. This should surprise exactly no one.
Old 27 June 2020, 16:21
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
We were pumping all kinds of shit in there to kill the Russians with in the 80's. This should surprise exactly no one.
Yep.
Old 27 June 2020, 16:59
Been There Done That

Charlie Wilson’s War explains this very well.

https://youtu.be/fZXtCHoRb50
Old 28 June 2020, 12:06
BTDT

I have never once in the last 20 years assumed that the Russians (and the Chinese) were doing anything less than feeding our enemies.

Since my first GWOT deployment I have just considered part of our problems to be an enemy that was supplied by our "other" enemies.

...in other news, scientists are predicting that the sun will set in the west later this evening
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 28 June 2020, 12:30
What could possibly go wrong?

The Saudis and Pakistan’s ISI directly fund the Taliban as well.
China also embedded two man teams to observe and collect US tactics, but did not (openly) carry weapons or participate in any fighting. They paid for access.
Old 28 June 2020, 12:41
Confirmed User

I've often wondered why the Russians didn't supply the Taliban with MANPADS as payback - maybe fear of escalation?

And I like how Biden slams President Trump for doing nothing because as we all know this only occurred the Trump administration. If it happened under Obama, Joe slept through the brief or was too busy thinking about skinny dipping in front of female agents.
Old 28 June 2020, 14:03
Shakin' the bush Boss

Now Pelosi says it has to be because the Russians "have something on Trump". UFB

Anybody that thinks this just started last week is an idiot. Nevermind, I can't believe I even said that. Believing it has no bearing. It's one more thing they can scream and gnash their teeth about.
Old 28 June 2020, 14:18
Been There Done That

Soviet Russia and it's satellites could have all been a part of NATO or at least close in hand with the EU/US. Both D and R leadership did the barest minimums to create any real investment in bringing them into the fold. Instead they languished in failed nation state for years bringing us up to now. The greatest generations greatest failure, they only did half the job and now it was all for nothing, could be worse in fact.
Old 28 June 2020, 18:04
Been There Done That

This isn't really surprising. The Soviet Union and China funded, supported, supplied and even fought against US forces during the Korean and Vietnam wars. The US has funded "Freedom Fighters" from Afghanistan, Central America, Angola and beyond that were fighting communist troops and their Soviet/Cuban advisors. Iran has paid/used proxy forces though the IRGC-QF in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria. Don't think for a minute that this just started within the past year. The real world is a dark, ugly place. If the President wasn't briefed I'd like to know why.
Old 29 June 2020, 08:15
Confirmed User

I would kind of expect these bounties to exist in Syria as well.
Old 29 June 2020, 08:41
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Photog View Post
I would kind of expect these bounties to exist in Syria as well.
I would not. I am skeptical of the story this thread is based on as well. The GRU may be aggressive, sloppy and enamored of far fetched plots, but they are probably not dumb enough to do what is reported.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 29 June 2020, 09:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I would not. I am skeptical of the story this thread is based on as well. The GRU may be aggressive, sloppy and enamored of far fetched plots, but they are probably not dumb enough to do what is reported.
I would attribute this so-called 'bounty' more to the tribalism in the Middle East and Asia. Any time they do something, they want a reward; and there's always someone willing to pay. Stop child brides, reward. Stop f*cking goats, reward. Kill Americans, reward. Stop killing Americans, reward. They're like homeless people with a bottle of glass cleaner. They sort of clean your car windows, without your permission, and you pay them to leave you alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Yep. Additionally, bounties on US combatants has been a 'thing' since Vietnam. Historically, Alexander the Great had this problem in Asia. IIRC, the only invaders of Southwest Asia that didn't have a bounty problem were the Mongols. The tribes gave them a hard pass. Tribes and small kingdoms that didn't obey the Mongols disappeared faster than Tokyo and Dresden did in WW2; right down to the dirt.
Old 29 June 2020, 19:32
Confirmed User

Six months after Turkey shotdown a Russian SU 24 the PKK used a Igla manpad to shoot down a Turkish Super Cobra. According to news Turkey saw it as a Russian warning.
Six months ago Turkey rewrote military history when it unleashed a drone swarm like no other, defeating Russian ew and air defence systems. Erdogan was confidently talking about pushing onto Damascus . Then the Turkish blitzkreig mysteriously stopped, Erdogan travelled to Moscow to talk peace only to be humiliated by Putin.
Old 29 June 2020, 21:55
BTDT

JUst curious...
it sounds like democrats and never trumpers think we should go to war with Russia over "this" - we should ratchet up international tension over this - we should belly up to the bar and pour a drink in Putins lap over this

the same democrats that ridiculed mittens when he said the russians werent our friends...

but the chinese wuhan bat virus that crashed world economies and killed people around the globe is something we cant attribute to the chinese because it might be 'racist' to blame it on the chinese

...bounties have been levied on US troop for the last 240+ years - but "this" news report is the high water mark of intolerance

got it
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 29 June 2020, 23:52
Been There Done That

This goes back to Genesis Chapter 4. God made a rock. Cain killed Able with said rock.

Nothing to see here...
Old 30 June 2020, 07:59

Could be a bid to lure Trump into a pissing contest with Putin
("oh yeah? Whatabout your guys doing ____ in ___?"),
instead of Sleepy Joe.
Old 30 June 2020, 16:10
Been There Done That

To add a bit more...........Trump ordered the hit on Soleimani, he was condemned by Congress for wanting to start WWIII, and the House even passed a bill trying to limit his authority. Now these same fucks are bitching that he didn't act?
Old 30 June 2020, 21:44
Legal Immigrant

Obviously the Murder Hornets, riots, Desert Death Storm, etc didn't have the desired "pile on" impact as the MSM craves.

"I know. Let's write a story about bad guys trying to kill Americans in a war zone....but....you know...Russians and Trump!"

Our new posting rules