Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment

Old 22 September 2017, 16:10
BTDT

Valor

On the CW channel starting next week. I've seen the previews and I know the technical advisor. Former SF and little bird pilot. Yet I'm going to apologize now...

However, at least there's another SEAL show to watch and a "Special Forces" as well with what looks a like a Hillary leader. I think all but the SEALs have chicks.

Maybe we'll get a better class of posers.

"Immature jackoff/asshole/agitator"

"I can only say I'm sorry so many times and mean it" Homer Simpson
Old 22 September 2017, 22:32
Preparing to defend

Ain't as quiet as we used to be.
Old 23 September 2017, 12:38
Been There Done That

I've been waiting to see this pop up in here... I hope it's not as horrible as it looks. When we left to go help with the filming of Blackhawk Down several people in the hangar told us to make sure it wasn't another Firebirds.
Old 23 September 2017, 13:07
Been There Done That

I'm not optimistic....
Old 25 September 2017, 10:31
Preparing to defend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fix View Post
I've been waiting to see this pop up in here... I hope it's not as horrible as it looks. When we left to go help with the filming of Blackhawk Down several people in the hangar told us to make sure it wasn't another Firebirds.
Firebirds....ugh. Had a buddy that was involved in the filming of that down at Hood. They we soooo embarrassed to be part of that. BHD was a class act. Firebirds was a class clown.
Old 1 October 2017, 21:19
Been There Done That

Just saw the trailer featuring unit alumnus who's serving as the technical advisor. Anyone know if he's a member here? I'd love to hear his take.
Old 9 October 2017, 15:57
BTDT

Dan Laguna is not a member. But I'll invite him.

He's doing the best he can. But they don't use the same writers week to week. So just when they buy in a new group.

Dan's former SF and a little bird guy. He was in the bird that took Carlos From us at range 29. He's a good guy, was liked by O's and enlisted. Unlike some of the pilots who's arrogance knows no bounds.

Old 9 October 2017, 16:52
BTDT

A note from Dan's FB page:

Well I have heard a lot about me being a technical advisor on Valor, most of it negative. Just so you know, I was asked if I could help with a military show that would be along the lines of a SPEC OPS aviation unit. Valor by no means is the TF 160th which I did spend many years in as a Flight Lead. If you want to watch a 160th movie watch “Blackhawk Down”. Since I have been working with this show I am continually told that the CW network caters to the 18-25 age group. It will air tonight and some of you old farts will be in bed anyway LOL ☺ … Now to comment on my actual job, I try my best to help with correct dialogue, look at every uniform, check to see if they have shaved and got a hair cut prior to going on set which is more difficult than when I was a Drill Sergeant. Because of the very busy schedule some slip through the cracks. Now about the Berets, I am authorized to wear both the Green and Maroon and I have seen many in both organizations that have no clue on how to wear them. To prove my point here is a couple of pics that were on FB today.

So if you watch Valor tonight, watch it for entertainment and remember this is not the TF160th or any other military aviation unit IT IS A HOLLYWOOD SHOW!!!!

As Forest Gump said, “that’s all I have to say about that!”

Old 9 October 2017, 17:13

Having had the pleasure of working with Dan at BW, I can say he was liked and respected by all, at least during the time that I worked there. Never heard a bad word said about him, which is quite the testament.
Old 9 October 2017, 17:34
Been There Done That

Dan is good people
Old 10 October 2017, 09:32
Been There Done That

He's really taking a beating over this on FB.

I'm surprised so many of our esteemed colleagues seem to think this was going to be a documentary. Dan is just a dude who they hired to tell them when they are fucked up. This is just a show for entertainment, not a documentary. I'm looking forward to watching this and laughing at what people think we do.
Old 10 October 2017, 12:40
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fix View Post
This is just a show for entertainment, not a documentary.
The Unit was the same way. I was willing to overlook the "inaccuracy" of the details, but I couldn't overlook the day when the show became more about the homefront than about the down range events.

I want to watch a modern day Combat or Rat Patrol, not Army Wives...
Old 17 October 2017, 19:40
Confirmed User

Saw the first two episodes. I was looking forward to it. The only thing that interested me was the BlackHawks flying. It is just Entertainment. A lot of pretty faces and relationship drama.
Old 18 October 2017, 11:50
Confirmed User

Take a modern day ¨Rat Patrol¨ add a little ¨3 kings¨comedy and winner winner chicken dinner.
Old 19 October 2017, 23:55
Administrator

Dan is a good man, You have to live hard to be hard!

Loved by few, judged by many
Old 2 November 2017, 09:14
BTDT

Really bad show, but a TA gets walked all over in Hollywood probably. Imagine how bad it would be with *no* BTDT input at all. People gotta eat - you did your best Dan!
Old 2 November 2017, 10:15
A Texan in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Really bad show, but a TA gets walked all over in Hollywood probably. Imagine how bad it would be with *no* BTDT input at all. People gotta eat - you did your best Dan!
This is truth right here. TA'ing means you get beat up for the slightest errors. Often times which are actually intentional decisions by the creatives over the advice of the TA. I had a director tell me once, "I want half the airmen on the flightline to have beards, so we get diversity of look in the background." Umm, no.

I feel for Dan for sure.
Old 3 November 2017, 21:45
Preparing to defend

I read something, written by him, where he defends what he’s trying to do, and the walls he’s up against. Feel for the guy. Have had a couple of run ins with him, seemed like a decent guy.

More power to him. But I won’t watch it.

Our new posting rules