Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 25 January 2018, 08:58
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PH View Post
I know you guys have Weapons Sergeants and First Sergeants, but – without violating OPSEC, obviously – what role does the Latino Sergeant play on a team?
Typically he’ll be the taco and salsa expert. We had a Cubanio on my team.
Old 25 January 2018, 10:21
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fix View Post
I'd rather the enemy watches stuff like the original Delta Force so they fear Chuck Norris and motorcycles with rockets than showing them the real magic. It's all entertainment to me.
This x 10. Hilarious. For some reason all the hadjis in 2003 were fixated on Jean Claude Van Damme. SO we would tell them that yes indeed, we were trained warriors just like him.
Of course they were also big on Michael Jackson and My Little Pony shirts, so there's that.
Old 25 January 2018, 10:23
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
original Delta Force
I hadn't thought about that in years. Loved how all the Delta guys wore black turtlenecks, watchcaps and a sling rope Panco Villa style. Hilarious.
Old 25 January 2018, 10:25
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I saw it, and I have read a lot about being on an ODA on the Internet. .
LOL

Quote:
Most of the shit went over everyone's head. My kid and her Boy Friend went to see it with me. I was laughing at shit and they all looked at me like I was crazy. When the one dude says to the black guy 'If you start to tear up, I'm telling "Everyone". Nothing is scared..
Yep, I remember seeing Restrepo in the theater, and I knew I was the only mil guy, when I was the only one laughing at certain parts. Parts that most probably wondered why the fuck I was laughing

Quote:
I kept pushing my helmet down when the nine lines were being called in..
Man a war movie where they actually call in 9-lines? I'll have to see it for that alone. lol

Quote:
The B-52 Stratofortress, Bringing the hate for 60 years.
yep, along with the .50 BMG, probably THE 2 best weapon systems ever built.
Old 25 January 2018, 10:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
And then you find out several months later he is actually Filipino.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 25 January 2018, 10:50
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
And then you find out several months later he is actually Filipino.
HAHAHAHA, we had one of those too, I think
Old 25 January 2018, 14:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
SF soldiers on horses firing M4s with one hand at full gallop...sets the tone for the level of fidelity to reality.
That's better than us Navy guys getting Tom Cruise doing inverted relations with Migs or Owen Wilson taking on the entire Bosnian conflict in Behind Enemy Lines.
Old 25 January 2018, 22:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Damn, if I knew you had guys like that in the Army, I may have re-thought my decision to join the Navy.
Old 26 January 2018, 21:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Watch the documentary of Legion Of Brothers first, they talk about the horses...

"These horses were cross-bred with wolves they were so mean."
Just watched this. Incredible documentary.
Old 26 January 2018, 22:50
Swimming Upstream

Godzilla and I just came back from watching it. Now I have to read the book and watch the movie again. Amazing history.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 26 January 2018, 23:02
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamir View Post
Here is an IG post from a friend of mine (Green Beret) that had an interesting take...He's a pretty vocal dude, haha!

"This movie needed to be made. However, it didn’t need to be made like this. The director and producer of 12 Strong should be ashamed of their absolutely ridiculous, poorly written and directed mess of a film. The battle scenes were simply some of the worst ever filmed and nearly the entire character of the SFODA and how Green Berets relate to each other and do business (minus a few things) was missed. It was horrible, at times utterly illogical, building suspense only through ignorance of common sense and reality. Are we to believe Green Berets are so dumb? The only worse battle scenes I have seen were in the movie “Wind Talker.” How many Green Berets were technical advisors for the battle scenes or anything tactical? Your movie was a horrible missed opportunity to tell a great and true story of brave men."
General Mullholland and at least one member of the team introduced the movie here at the ASOM in Fayetteville, so I guess they disagreed.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 26 January 2018, 23:54
Been There Done That

I give it my seal of approval. Yeah, there were a couple of ridiculous action sequences, but this is Bruckheimer we're talking about. I mean all in all I've seen alot worse.

-They showed interteam dynamics and grabass
- Showed the difficulties managing tribal bullshit with millitias
- Showed old Chief reigning in the young Captain
- Showed old Chief's back going out like it does IRL
- 122mm Katushas suck on the receiving end

I mean what the fuck else you want? Our first movie of the GWOT. It only took 17 years. Yay?
19 Oct 2017
Old 27 January 2018, 08:05
Been There Done That

Overall, I thought the movie was good. For me, it captured some (very little, it's a movie) the essence of team life and got the blood pumping seeing the RW aircraft/infil.

I went in with the thought this was a movie made to entertain and tell a story. I also read some reviews and received feedback from SF dudes that saw it prior.

Sure, some of the scenes were spiced up but again, it was entertainment. I thought it made a good attempt to reflect the heart of SF, the ODA in a positive way. I concurred with some of the reviews I previously read/discussed with SF guys that they could have showcased the TM SGT's role. TM SGT was made to look non existent. Again, it was a movie and I don't have the expectation that they would get it 100% right. Hell, I can get in a room with handful of SF guys that were at the same location, same time, standing side by side and they wouldn't get the story 100% right. I liked the scenes showing the building of rapport between the team/TL and NA and challenges associated with it.

I will go see it again with my sons. I think it'll give them a glimpse into what life was like over there to some degree and encourage them to read the book.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 27 January 2018, 13:25
Confirmed User

I saw it last night with the wife and enjoyed it. Was never SOF, but it did bring back some memories from that time frame seeing some of the uniforms and kit. Also liked the small attention to detail with regards to using the water bottle on 550 cord to close the tent door. With regards to comparing it to the book, I would have liked for them to do a mini series (Generation Kill) in lieu of a movie, so as to have the time to tell the whole story. Will have to check out the documentary mentioned earlier in this thread.
Old 27 January 2018, 21:46
Confirmed User

12 Strong (Horse Soldiers Movie)

I saw this with my wife and youngest son this afternoon. I am not military, just a retired cop type who has horses. I found it fascinating to learn that we still used horses and mules in recent conflicts.
Old 28 January 2018, 00:44
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
It has been quite the big deal out here at Fort Bragg..which a special presentation and Q&A at the ASOM.
Who was the Q & A with?
Old 28 January 2018, 11:17
Confirmed User

I enjoyed it, but I can suspend my belief that any movie-based-on-a-book won't get it right. It was enjoyable and my favorite parts were what Mako alluded.

I read the book a couple years ago, I will re-read it now for context.

I thought the sound editing sucked; a lot of the dialogue was hard to hear. I will say my almost-50 year old hearing could be to blame.
Old 28 January 2018, 16:38
Another pool cleaner

Wasn't there a movie about this a while back, something about Covey leader to Raven, sheep ball rodeo, & Trautman being saved by only one ODA member and the Muj?
Old 28 January 2018, 16:53
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN View Post
Who was the Q & A with?
Anyone who wanted to attend, open to the public.
Old 29 January 2018, 09:04
Going cyclic!!

I saw it with the wife Saturday.
BLUF-Just a very good war movie.
I like how it showed a little of the brotherhood of the guys (they could've shown more even , IMO)
Need to see it on the big screen. I may even go se it again with my oldest son, it was that good, IMO
Highly recommend

Our new posting rules