Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 13 January 2015, 12:52
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
This 5.11 looks like god kit as well. I think this may well be my new bag.
TFG, I have this very pack (5.11 Rush 72) in coyote tan, and I'm not using it. I've packed it up once, unloaded it and put it in the closet. It's practically brand new. PM me if you want it.
Old 13 January 2015, 13:20
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_ View Post
I can't read humor online, not sure if you are joking due to their use of "operator". This lapg bag is exactly the same as last-generation camelbak BFM. I have used that pack for years and will be switching to the new BFM because:

More pricey, but the new BFM drops the admin pouch to the back of the pack which makes the compression straps more effective at holding the pack tighter together. That admin pouch seems to balloon up to 3x the volume of whatever you put in, and hangs off the pack. I usually have a couple pens, pad, flashlight, multi tool and map in there yet it sags like a wet towel off the pack.

Not sure why the huge price discrepancy between BFM and lapg. My BFM is supposedly 1000d cordura, the new one is 500d cordura. MSRP is now +$100 over what i paid.
I get many a chuckle over dudes calling themselves "Operators".. but I digress.

I thought this looked like good kit for the $, so I posted. You just kinda have to gloss over some of the terminology.

I hear on other forums of other guys that like the CamelBack gear as well. LAPG name brands stuff is normally of exceptional quality for the price.
Old 13 January 2015, 13:33

Quote:
I get many a chuckle over dudes calling themselves "Operators".. but I digress.

I thought this looked like good kit for the $, so I posted. You just kinda have to gloss over some of the terminology.

I hear on other forums of other guys that like the CamelBack gear as well. LAPG name brands stuff is normally of exceptional quality for the price.
Wrt "operator": roger.

I will definitely look into lapg since the quality is there per users in this thread. That price point is excellent for a tough-use bag.
Old 24 January 2015, 12:45
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
TFG, I have this very pack (5.11 Rush 72) in coyote tan, and I'm not using it. I've packed it up once, unloaded it and put it in the closet. It's practically brand new. PM me if you want it.
Thanks! This is really starting to shape up as a great BOB. But i think I owe you more money for the little pouch on the side?
Old 6 February 2015, 22:21

I have an AR7 in my bugout bag with a couple hundred rounds of ammo. My wife's bag has a box of 38 specials as she carries. Any thoughts of having a .22 pistol as well? (I also have a full glock with me) also, revolver or auto .22?
Old 7 February 2015, 00:28
The Sagacious One

I am probably spending too much time thinking about this, I thought originally .22 was the way to go. I have a S&W M&P Compact that is just a bad ass little pistol with a TLR-3. Then I thought a Ruger 10/22 takedown model.

Now I am thinking a 44 mag carbine lever or semi auto (I have both) and a 44 mag revolver.
Old 7 February 2015, 01:07
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
I am probably spending too much time thinking about this, I thought originally .22 was the way to go. I have a S&W M&P Compact that is just a bad ass little pistol with a TLR-3. Then I thought a Ruger 10/22 takedown model.

Now I am thinking a 44 mag carbine lever or semi auto (I have both) and a 44 mag revolver.
I'll probably piss off SOTB with this, but...a .22 isn't the best BOB gun (IMAO). Yes, it is versatile, relatively quiet compared to most rifles, and can take down small game. However, a carbine or mid length AR can be broken down to fit in many packs, and there is a plethora of ammo pouches out there that can accommodate any number of mag sizes. Remember, an AR has only two take down pins, and is often times lighter than a .22LR.
Old 7 February 2015, 10:08
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddurant View Post
I have an AR7 in my bugout bag with a couple hundred rounds of ammo. My wife's bag has a box of 38 specials as she carries. Any thoughts of having a .22 pistol as well? (I also have a full glock with me) also, revolver or auto .22?
I would say if I was carrying a .22 LR rifle, I would include a .22 LR pistol. While I originally thought a SS Ruger revolver in .22 was the way to go, I have grown very fond of my S&W M&P .22 Compact. That way, if you CCW the Glock, its always with you and the .22 pistol is always with the bag. regardless of the caliber I select, this is going to be my configuration.
Old 7 February 2015, 10:09
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
I'll probably piss off SOTB with this, but...a .22 isn't the best BOB gun (IMAO). Yes, it is versatile, relatively quiet compared to most rifles, and can take down small game. However, a carbine or mid length AR can be broken down to fit in many packs, and there is a plethora of ammo pouches out there that can accommodate any number of mag sizes. Remember, an AR has only two take down pins, and is often times lighter than a .22LR.
If it pisses of SOTB, I will pay for it.
Old 12 February 2015, 01:50
The Sagacious One

OK, next on the agenda is water storage and water treatment. I just bought some sawyer filters, bottles and bags. I also bought a camel back 3 liter bladder for my shiny new 5.11 bag. I was thinking of Halgene bottles for storage. but they need to sync with the Sawyer filters. (They have some adapters......)

What do you use for storage? Do you keep water in your bag? How long?

What filtration system / treatment system do you use?
Old 12 February 2015, 01:58
Confirmed User

40 oz KleenKanteen un-insulated bottle, sawyer squeeze filter, nalgene wide mouth 48 oz soft canteen, and a bottle of potable Aqua purification tabs. I fill the hard bottle, the rest are for refills on the road.

The nice thing about the un-insulated Kleen kanteen is you can boil and cook in it. It is the diameter of a normal nalgene but a tad taller.
Old 12 February 2015, 07:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
OK, next on the agenda is water storage and water treatment. I just bought some sawyer filters, bottles and bags. I also bought a camel back 3 liter bladder for my shiny new 5.11 bag. I was thinking of Halgene bottles for storage. but they need to sync with the Sawyer filters. (They have some adapters......)

I like the MSR Dromedary bags. I want to add a second one to make a gravity filtration system with my sawyer.
Old 12 February 2015, 08:44
FIDO

Quote:

I just added a 55gal rain catchment system behind my house and will be adding an additional 55gal drum to it. It saves me $ watering the flowers or the lawn. I am looking to faint a good filter to add to it in case I ever need to use it for drinking water m

I keep a get home bag in the car with a 3liter bladder in it. I also keep 2 gallons of water with it to fill up the bladder and 2 canteens. Still need to add pump filter to my bag just in case.
Old 12 February 2015, 09:27
The Sagacious One

Chimo, the sawyer bags/filters appear to be good kit. I think the overriding doctrine for carried water is to carry clean and be able to filter to replenish for as long as possible.

I have a cistern for the horses that always has water below the pump stem. I also have rain catchers that after 5 years, have yet to be deployed "Oh I will set them up!......." Yea right.

I also have 20 gallons of bottled water stored in the pantry.
Old 12 February 2015, 11:11
33,024 - R.I.P.

Back to the Go Bag aspect of carrying H2O...I have a 100mL Camelbak with the insulated tube. Plus a standard stainless water bottle.

I like the MSR dromedary bags, and keep one folded in the pack as well. The MSRs are great because they can be folded (compact), and can carry a lot of water when needed. They come in different volumes, and MSR makes a ton of accessories that can be attached to the bags (drink tubes, shower heads, etc. The black fabric outer sleeve absorbs sunlight well if you need heated water.

ETA: It's good to keep the Camelbak and/or other water bags empty until needed. Store a few bottles, or a small pallet of drinking water in the truck to pour into your pack when needed.
Old 12 February 2015, 19:16
Confronting the Reckoning

Water in the trunk vs. space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
I just added a 55gal rain catchment system behind my house and will be adding an additional 55gal drum to it. It saves me $ watering the flowers or the lawn. I am looking to faint a good filter to add to it in case I ever need to use it for drinking water m

I keep a get home bag in the car with a 3liter bladder in it. I also keep 2 gallons of water with it to fill up the bladder and 2 canteens. Still need to add pump filter to my bag just in case.
With get home bags or Go bags, it is always the matter of balancing time, distance, and weight. Is the 2 gallons of water in the Get Home for all circumstances, for you only or whole family, and for how far away to come home?

For the Get Home, I'm running just a liter in the car usually (filtration system to come soon), but I only work 7 miles away and pass through suburbia. I augment for longer trips beyond the city, and can only carry so much in the sedan.

Last edited by Armitage12; 12 February 2015 at 19:18. Reason: typo.
Old 12 February 2015, 19:28
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
With get home bags or Go bags, it is always the matter of balancing time, distance, and weight. Is the 2 gallons of water in the Get Home for all circumstances, for you only or whole family, and for how far away to come home?

For the Get Home, I'm running just a liter in the car usually (filtration system to come soon), but I only work 7 miles away and pass through suburbia. I augment for longer trips beyond the city, and can only carry so much in the sedan.
I do field work so I can be anywhere between 5-300 miles from home. I carry the 2 gallons to make sure I have fresh water to load up and maybe some extra. I have a lifestraw also to use if we fresh runs out but am Looking at the Sawer bags as TFG suggested.

I also have 2 HTI water filtration bags in my pack for backup. They are pretty slick. Throw it in a lake, deep puddle etc and it will absorb and filter the water turning it in a sports drink. But they are not reusable so it's just a backup.
Old 12 February 2015, 19:33
Odin's Underling

I think this is one of my favorite threads on this entire site. Great input (minus the 20$ nonsense).

The weapons thing should probably be a thread all its own, BUT I wanted to hear what y'all thought about the BOB's for your family. I know they will differ a little depending on the age of the kids and how tough the spouse is, but what would you recommend for them? I have a list of stuff for my kids (They are a little older so they can hump some weight) as well as my wife.

The general gist is for them to have enough to get about 60 miles, either via vehicle or foot (or both), and make it to the family support unit for follow on plans. I have bare basics for them:

Compass
550 cord
100MPH tape
Wool socks
Rain coat
Fleece jacket
Wool watch cap
Eye protection
Hand held Motorola radios with spare batteries (AA)
Garmin GPS with spare batteries (AA)
Water filter
CamelBak
steel mirror
TP/ baby wipes
3 MRE's (each)
Head lamp with spare batteries (AA)
Pocket knife
Lighter / Flint and steel
Chemlights (4)
SOL thermal bivy
Small first aid kit (basic)
state map (paper)
Feminine hygiene needs for wife

Wife carries a .357 Sig M&P compact with spare mags and 50 rounds of ammo
Son carries fifty rounds of .357 ammo, 100 rounds of .22 ammo, 20 rounds of .410 ammo with a Springfield M6 Scout (.22/.410 survival rifle)

Each has their gear in a Kelty Redwing 3100 pack. Seems to be a great pack for the money.

What am I forgetting?

Quote:
TURD POSer Biondi: My name likely won’t be listed, as I led a covert operation of wet-teams.
Old 12 February 2015, 19:53
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCo275 View Post
What am I forgetting?
At first look I would add gloves. I carry mechanics gloves and depending on the season I also have a warm pair. Also I carry a 5x7' tarp. It doesn't take much room and can be used for anything from catching water to providing shelter.

My pack gets reloaded depending on the season.

Otherwise your list looks to cover it pretty well. I like that you keep with one type of battery. Makes it easier IMO.

I'm sure someone who knows more then I do will find something I didn't think of. That's why I love this tread. It's great to get a different perspective.
Old 12 February 2015, 19:55
On the Extract Bird

Perhaps compact stove of some sort?
Gloves?

Our new posting rules