SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 13 June 2018, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Why, exactly?
After reading through the thread, I started talking about my opinions on the go-bag, which included my reasoning for not necessarily having a firearm in my daily go-bag. I think the factor here that got me into the storm was the implication that I was trying to teach or recommend this to others. I thought I was careful in stating my idea as scenario dependent or in no way a recommendation, but it was a long post, so I think people glanced over this (or maybe I wasn't as clear as I thought I was) and figured I was telling them not to carry a firearm or something of a similar vein. I was just speaking my mind; not trying to imply anyone here doesn't know how to use a firearm or hasn't been in a situation where a firearm was needed (a point that many responses encapsulated).

I was simply stating I don't, and can't (location), so my go bag is focusing on a different goal. Additionally, others who may not be trained SF or military or LE personnel or may be in a similar situation, and their mindset should adjust based on the limits of their bag. If they don't have a gun, or a capability of a gun, their go bag can still afford them success in most realistic bugout situations short of total societal collapse of the law; which I think would have to happen for me to pull that off. If I'm evacuating my area because of a natural disaster or weather incident, I'll have to consider where I'm going and how I'm getting there before I put a firearm in a go bag, otherwise I draw more problems simply by having one while crossing through a state where I don't have legal carry and get in trouble with their LE.

With the limits of mine, I'd have to find my way to my desired location using whatever modes of stealth, concealment, and general avoidance of all people that I can. That's fine, I'm comfortable with that. If I have a run-in with hostile people willing to murder me, well, that's on me and I guess the jig is up. But if I have a firearm and run into hostile people, the jig may still be up anyway. Trading led doesn't automatically mean I win. And some on this site have highlighted on other posts/threads that if they see someone with a gun they'll engage them quite aggressively. Well, in that situation where I'm walking through a forest with a gun and that type of individual sees me, my gun just reduced my chances of survival by increasing the escalation level of others. My plan focuses on trying my best to avoid any type of interaction with unknowns. And I'm pretty good at that.

I'm aware of the type and caliber of the individuals on this site. I didn't mean to be disrespectful, and if I'm being disrespectful right now for even responding, I'm sorry and it's not my intent. I'm not trying to 'teach' or say 'I'm right' or anything of the sort. I was just driving the conversation into another 'avenue of thought', I guess. Well I succeed, but unfortunately it was at my own cost. Consider this my swan song on the subject and I'll keep my volume level low/mute unless its something productive.
Old 13 June 2018, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
OK, Sparky, since you obviously don't take a hint very well, let me lay it out for you.

1. Grow a thicker skin. If you post something on here, be prepared to have it critiqued; the population of this board, of which you are a GUEST, consists predominately of current and former Special Operations personnel that have decades of experience in survival planning and training. I wont belabor that point.

2. Develop some situational awareness. just happen to be the Moderator of this section, which you would know if you had bothered to check the bottom of the Forum listing. I am the designated gatekeeper and part of those duties is to monitor and sometimes rein in postings, yours included.

3. Watch how you address other members of this board. Be polite or be gone. Be especially careful how you address any member with a 'BTDT' or 'Been There Done That' under their avatar. Our house, our rules. There are plenty of seats available on the Black Chinook and the wrong attitude is the ticket price.

4. I strongly recommend that you read entire threads before jumping in on them; chances are that what you want to post has been addressed before. If you want to comment on the post, do so in a manner that contributes to the discussion.

There, I hope this clears things up for you. Don't PM me to argue.

Thanks.

RGR.Montcalm
Understood. My apologies.
Old 13 June 2018, 12:50
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivyScum View Post
I had a perspective that's viewed negatively by many here.
Quote:
Why, exactly?
Quote:
long explanation
You didn't answer my question.
Old 13 June 2018, 12:59
Authorized Personnel

The "not allowed to have a gun" on person or on premises is a good discussion to have I think. If I bring one in the office and it's found out I'm likely going to jail. Similarly if I have one on the grounds. I'm lucky in that I can hoof it over a couple hills and be at my house within 1-2 hours by ducking through neighborhoods, but the dude brought up a good point:

What do you do if you legally can't carry a gun on you? Do you just break the law? How much time would you spend trying to get back to your house to get a gun and doesn't that defeat the purpose of the go bag? Do you bury one near your work in a waterproof cooler?

If you can't have a gun on you and SHTF and 90% of your action plan was "I have a gun and most of these civilian pussies won't" now you don't have one.

Has that contingency been planned for appropriately?
Old 13 June 2018, 13:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
The "not allowed to have a gun" on person or on premises is a good discussion to have I think.

What do you do if you legally can't carry a gun on you?

Has that contingency been planned for appropriately?
I opine that this is a good discussion to have - maybe in a separate thread of its own or in the "Who's prepared..." thread that already exists...
Old 13 June 2018, 13:10
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
That is a question for each individual to ask themselves, and then to answer, or not answer.
Old 13 June 2018, 15:14
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Gunfight.
Yes, no shit.

You got the response you did because you have an....interesting way of putting things, which I see has been pointed out a couple times already.

Last edited by hawkdrver; 13 June 2018 at 15:30.
Old 13 June 2018, 17:24

Quote:
You didn't answer my question.
The wording. That's the short of it. Others have mentioned that they have a firearm and ammo with their bag. I don't, so I guess I felt like I had an opportunity to contribute as to why I don't have one and talk about it.

So as to keep some sort of contribution, I have recently added a pair of light-weight minimalist hiking boots and light quick dry pants to the bag so when I'm wearing work stuff (business attire) I can swap out. These are more for ease of movement over durability.
Old 14 June 2018, 09:44
Been There Done That

Um...Can we move on now, are we good???

Ok so not a lot of feedback on the Rush12 or Rush24, how about the Maxpedition Falcon II? I have a knock of version of that bag but have had the zippers blow out on it and that is just using it to carry my laptop to work. Wondering if anyone here has put the real Falcon II through some abuse.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 14 June 2018, 09:57
Confirmed User

Maxpedition makes great bags. I've beat my Falcon 2 up for years, seams finally blew. A problem I had was that the stated cu in is divided up into too many pockets, so while there is lots of organizational ability, it's not great as a carry on, or something, if you want to fit a few larger items.

This bag is ridiculously awesome and way underpriced:

https://www.amazon.com/SOG-Ninja-Tac.../dp/B00XPV44MQ

They were $22 recently, absolutely astonishing quality. It's more like a $70 bag. Also, kinda want: the goruck Bullet is on sale now:

https://www.goruck.com/bullet-ruck/

If you want a handmade backpack that'll be bombproof, defy has a new one for $100:

https://defybags.com/collections/bag...k-blue-cordura

Too bad they only have shoot me red and look at me blue.

https://defybags.com/collections/bag...k-blue-cordura

But their other models....wow. Check out their truck tarpaulin model:

https://defybags.com/collections/bag...lack-semi-tarp

I have one of their waxed cotton messenger bags, and it's absolutely outstanding (better be for the price). I highly regret not getting the truck tarp model of my bag, my job changed just after I bought it, and it's gotten extremely trashed due to construction and dust. But truly good stuff.

Last edited by poison; 14 June 2018 at 10:07.
Old 14 June 2018, 15:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Your Post

Interesting, so the stitching went out before the zipper, could you repair it in the field with a sewing kit? Yea I get what you are saying about the pockets, I may load up my fake one to see how it works before getting the Falcon.

I like the SOG bag for the price, was thinking about setting up multiple bags depending on the scenario where you have the main bag that you grab no matter what and then you can grab the secondary bags like when you will have your vehicle you grab them all. If you bail from your vehicle in a hurry you might only grab the main one. Secondary bags will have extra food, ammo, cooking fuel and maybe a change of cloths.

One nut in the ground!

Old 14 June 2018, 16:01
Confirmed User

It busted where the shoulder straps are attached, boo. I could probably tuck it in and resew it, but it wasn't fitting my needs anyway, so....
Old 14 June 2018, 16:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
It busted where the shoulder straps are attached....
Yea that's borderline catastrophic, I was thinking a small tear in a pouch.

One nut in the ground!

Old 14 June 2018, 17:31
Been There Done That

One of the problems I'm having is that SOG, LAPG, et al.willnot ship to an APO/FPO/DPO.

What kind of technology advantage do they think a bag could give???

The bags over here suck because although they look identical to a US produced bag, they are sewn with cotton thread instead of nylon and the nylon eventually cuts the thread at the worst possible time.

I've had to repair my radio carry bag with dental floss, an SOG and a sail maker's needle. Good thing I joined the Army instead of becoming a tailor...
Old 14 June 2018, 18:07
Confirmed User

Order the sog from Amazon. �� The sog is way, way better made than the lapg junk I have laying around here at work. Their bags are knockoff crap.
Old 14 June 2018, 20:38
Authorized Personnel

I recently picked up one of these (huge fan of Frost River, have other luggage of theirs). If I'm picking a go bag it better last me for if SHTF, meaning a year. or 10. This will.

They have all kinds of other bags, from day packs to roll tops. Made in USA, by Americans, using high quality last forever material.

And you don't look tactigay either

https://www.frostriver.com/shop/cano...shcraft-packs/
Old 14 June 2018, 21:03
Confronting the Reckoning

Anyone packing a portable ham rig? Now that I'm licensed, I am curious --for this thread -- how you are transporting it, and what sorts of bags or accessories are coming along.
Old 14 June 2018, 21:08
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
Anyone packing a portable ham rig? Now that I'm licensed, I am curious --for this thread -- how you are transporting it, and what sorts of bags or accessories are coming along.
Yes, Wouxun handheld radio. But, you'll need someone on the other end to answer. as well as replacement batteries or solar recharger.
Old 14 June 2018, 21:08
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
My HT's are small enough that I don't have a dedicated bag or place for it. The one in my go bag is in one of the outside pouches. When I use it, it fits in the front shirt pocket, or in one of the little pockets inside the liner of my winter coats.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad
Old 14 June 2018, 21:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Order the sog from Amazon. �� The sog is way, way better made than the lapg junk I have laying around here at work. Their bags are knockoff crap.
They wont ship it either...

Our new posting rules