SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 14 May 2013, 13:28
Russian Tycoon

Thread for Everything about PMP Certification

All,

I think it is a good idea to have one thread for all PMP-related discussion. I know it has been mentioned in couple of other threads but it seems like a good idea to keep things consolidated. This thread can be used for questions about exam preparation, PDUs, and the like.

So, couple of two-cent random items to get the thread started.

1. If you need to get 35 hours of project management education, check if your employer offers any sort of online professional development training through an external provider. For example, my previous employer had a contract with Element K, which allowed me to knock out 35 hours of classes online for free. If you do not see your provider listed on PMI website, e-mail PMI and see if they can accept your credits anyways (they have done it before).

2. One of the easy (and free) ways to get PDUs is through Defense Acquisition University (www.dau.mil). It is not listed as a PMI approved provider, but their classes are accepted for PDUs.

3. My source from PMI has mentioned that the number of application audits is on the rise. Whether this is the case or not, I would not recommend to use OCONUS references, if at all possible. If your application is chosen to be audited, your references will have to snail-mail forms from overseas, so it obviously can become a hassle.

4. Finally, here is the link to Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep. This is the book that I used (obviously, there are many other study materials around that are just as good). I am very fond of this book as it is very digestable, unlike PMBOK, and so far everyone I've recommended it to has passed the test from the first attempt.

I hope that our SOCNET PMPs can share their knowledge here as well.
Old 14 May 2013, 15:02
Lost to PTSD AUG 2014 RIP Brother

Thanks for putting this up GWAG. I hope I get approved without an audit. That sounds like a time-consuming PITA.
Old 14 May 2013, 19:17

Thank you for this...
Old 14 May 2013, 20:36
Authorized Personnel

I was audited when I got mine a few years ago, it does involve paperwork, but don't be afraid of it. If your hours are real, and your supervisor/employer will sign, then it is pretty straightforward. They told me 1 out of every 3 was being audited and in my group and it was true to the numbers.

Thank you for the PDU information, it will be helpful.
Old 16 May 2013, 09:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucible guy View Post
I was audited when I got mine a few years ago, it does involve paperwork, but don't be afraid of it. If your hours are real, and your supervisor/employer will sign, then it is pretty straightforward. They told me 1 out of every 3 was being audited and in my group and it was true to the numbers.

Thank you for the PDU information, it will be helpful.
Boy am I glad I didn't get audited.

The 35 hour thing for "education" can be resolved through an online class that doesn't really take 35 hours. The PTMI bootcamp price includes that in it's package- IDK if this Mulcahey broad offers it or not.

You can use military training to fufill this category- for instance, I claimed that the SF Warrant Officer course covered at least 35 hours in project management, which when you think about it, it totally does. So, I think ANOC or Captain's Career Course and the like should cover this as well. But then again, I didn't get audited. I don't know what they'd want to see as proof that the course taught that stuff- what, am I supposed to carry the course schedule around years later?

Also, I wouldn't recommend taking this test after studying on your own, unless you are some kind of like super freak genius who is totally into this crap. Take a bootcamp, which will teach you exactly how to take the test, then study your ass off for about 4 days after that, take about a million practice tests until your grade gets above 70%, then take the exam.

Then go drink yourself blind afterwards, regardless of result- you'll need to.
19 Oct 2017
Old 16 May 2013, 09:50
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Boy am I glad I didn't get audited.

The 35 hour thing for "education" can be resolved through an online class that doesn't really take 35 hours. The PTMI bootcamp price includes that in it's package- IDK if this Mulcahey broad offers it or not.

You can use military training to fufill this category- for instance, I claimed that the SF Warrant Officer course covered at least 35 hours in project management, which when you think about it, it totally does. So, I think ANOC or Captain's Career Course and the like should cover this as well. But then again, I didn't get audited. I don't know what they'd want to see as proof that the course taught that stuff- what, am I supposed to carry the course schedule around years later?

Also, I wouldn't recommend taking this test after studying on your own, unless you are some kind of like super freak genius who is totally into this crap. Take a bootcamp, which will teach you exactly how to take the test, then study your ass off for about 4 days after that, take about a million practice tests until your grade gets above 70%, then take the exam.

Then go drink yourself blind afterwards, regardless of result- you'll need to.
I'm not a PMP, so I can't speak to that one specifically, but I know some of the IT certifications that require certain education or experience will basically take any military experience or training without a second glance. I know a guy who put 10 years experience in physical and communications security for his time as an Infantryman. He stood guard in a tower at some point, and he answered a phone with a precanned response that included "this is a non-secure line. How may I help you sir or ma'am?" ISC2 accepted this without a second thought...and they're well known for doing exactly that...

While true:
Continue
Old 16 May 2013, 09:57
Russian Tycoon

For consolidation purposes: here is a link to another thread with some book recommendations:

http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=112545

Also, so it does not get lost, Specat93 posted this link to free webinars that can be counted towards PDUs:

http://www.projectmanagementbookstor...ar-series.html
Old 16 May 2013, 10:56
Been There Done That

When I think about all the damned PDUs I'm going to have to "earn" to keep this PMP thing, I want to suck start my pistol.

I'll probably just put it off until the last few months before it expires and then spaz out to get the credits. What is it, you have 3 years to get 65 PDUs or something?
19 Oct 2017
Old 16 May 2013, 11:00
Authorized Personnel

You can claim 10 per year earned at your work, but you need to claim it per year as far as I can tell. If you go to certain meetings full of geeks, you get to claim that too.
Old 16 May 2013, 11:05
Russian Tycoon

It's 60 PDUs in 3 years. I knocked mine out in 2 months, all through DAU online classes. I do not think that I have ever encountered anything more boring than these classes but they were free and I am resolved not to spend any money with PMI.

You can report 5 PDUs per year (15 per recertification cycle) by working as a project management practitioner. So, really it is only 45 PDUs that you have to worry about.

ETA: Crucible Guy, sorry, I just saw your post. I am looking at the PMI guidelines and it's only 5 PDUs per year. Maybe it changed recently?
Old 16 May 2013, 11:06
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix
When I think about all the damned PDUs I'm going to have to "earn" to keep this PMP thing, I want to suck start my pistol.

I'll probably just put it off until the last few months before it expires and then spaz out to get the credits. What is it, you have 3 years to get 65 PDUs or something?
When I get to a computer versus my iPhone, I'll comment more to this, but I did exactly what Mako states. The funny thing is that it lloks like I'm doing it again....
Old 16 May 2013, 11:08
Authorized Personnel

No I am sure you are right, I was looking at it a few weeks ago, my memory sucks these days.
Old 16 May 2013, 11:11
Authorized Personnel

This is off the site, I can't see the hours requirement, just that you can do it.

Continue Your Education
1.E-Learning : PMI’s e-learning increases your understanding of project management by applying real-world knowledge through simulations. These include our eSeminarsWorld® courses and our Publication Quizzes. E-learning also offers flexibility with your schedule.
2.PMI Community Offerings : Our chapters and communities of practice hold events, meetings, webinars and educational sessions. PMI members can join these communities and take advantage of their offerings.
3.The PDU Advantage Program gives PMI members the opportunity to earn PDUs quickly and at no additional cost through their PMI membership. Start now by viewing PDU earning opportunities available as part of PMI membership. Not a member? Join now.
4.MyPMI Mobile App: Are you a current member? Take charge of your information with the myPMI Mobile App. Now available from iTunes and Google Play.
5.PMI® Global Congresses and Regional Events : Attend a congress or regional event and learn, network and get inspired.
6.SeminarsWorld® : Held throughout the year, SeminarsWorld events provide in-depth coverage of a single topic for beginning, mid-level and experienced project professionals.
7.Registered Education Provider (R.E.P.) Courses : There are more than 1,100 PMI R.E.P.s worldwide who offer courses that are pre-approved for PDUs.
8.Self-Directed Learning: PMI will recognize activities that involve personally conducted research or study, including discussions or coaching sessions with colleagues or clients. Such activities should make use of informational materials like CD-ROMs, articles, books, videos or instructional manuals.
9.Educational Programs by Outside Providers: PMI recognizes relevant educational activities or programs offered by organizations not registered with PMI.
Give Back to the Profession
8.Creating new content. Write project management-related books and articles for professional print or electronic publications, including PMI’s numerous publications or our Knowledge Shelf. If you’re web savvy, write a blog for your company or organization, or present a podcast or webinar. Check out PMI’s Voices on Project Management blog.
9.Volunteer Service: Earn PDUs for providing your professional services to an organization or group outside of your employer; this includes any elected offices you hold for a project management organization. PMI also has many volunteer opportunities.
10.Doing Your Job: When you practice project (project scheduling, risk, or program) management professionally, you can claim PDUs. If you work every day as a project manager, this counts toward credential maintenance.
Old 16 May 2013, 11:19
Russian Tycoon

Here is the link to PDU category caps and rules that I just pulled from their site. It is my understanding that PMI changes these up once in a while.

http://www.pmi.org/globals/~/media/F...ure_Final.ashx
Old 18 May 2013, 00:53
Lost to PTSD AUG 2014 RIP Brother

I am cleared to continue the process and schedule the exam. I noticed that the determination to audit my application will be made AFTER the payment is accepted. I see no information on a refund should my audit go south.
Anyway, I'm stoked and I think moving forward is the correct decision.

Quote:
Dear Trig,

Your PMP® application has been accepted. You have one year from XX May 2013 to sit for and pass the exam. This time is known as your exam eligibility period and is discussed in detail in your respective handbook.

THE NEXT STEP in the process is to submit payment. Before you can schedule your examination, you need to first pay the fee. Once you make payment, you will receive a PMI Eligibility ID, which you will need in order to schedule your examination.

PMI'S AUDIT PROCESS:
Please note that PMI randomly selects a number of applications to participate in the audit process, as detailed in the handbook. Once payment is made, you will be notified whether your application has been selected. If selected, you will be advised of the process and provided with a link for more in-depth instructions.
For candidates going through the audit process, the examination eligibility period will be reset to one year following the successful completion of the audit.
Old 18 May 2013, 08:34
Scoundrel

If you can point to a heap of projects that you've successfully completed and talk intelligently about projects that failed and why they failed, do you really need a certification? At what point, if any, can your demonstrable work history stand on its own so that you don't have to participate in this PMP scam?

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 18 May 2013, 08:51
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
If you can point to a heap of projects that you've successfully completed and talk intelligently about projects that failed and why they failed, do you really need a certification? At what point, if any, can your demonstrable work history stand on its own so that you don't have to participate in this PMP scam?

I keep wondering the same about this IT shit...why do I need to pay tons of money to keep letters after my name...does it change the fact that I've been doing the job successfully for a long time now?

While true:
Continue
Old 18 May 2013, 09:13
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I agree that PMP certification is a scam, alas I see it written in as a desired qualification in more and more RFPs. Just as an example, my current position has nothing, nada, zilch to do with project management, yet it was a part of required personnel quals. Matter of fact, every position that I've held since I got my PMP either "required" or "desired" the certification and I have not touched anything remotely project related in nearly three years now. Go figure.

BOFH, an acquaintance of mine recently landed a GS-14 job (without having any prior military or government service) solely because he had almost a page worth of various IT and PM certifications (CISSP, Microsoft Certified everything, Six Sigma, PMP, etc). The dude had no real deal work experience whatsoever but had the certs, talked smooth during the interview, and there you go. It's almost like the hiring managers would rather see an alphabet soup after one's name than actually try and figure out what the candidate can and cannot bring to the table.

Trig, congrats on the first step completed. Let me know if I can help.
Old 18 May 2013, 09:23
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

PMP is a scam in pretty much the same manner that most requisites of having a degree, or any other cert.

Certs (or diplomas) merely offer the person viewing the supposed experience of someone an accepted baseline measuring stick, an accepted example of a standard met/accomplished.

I have long bemoaned the whole CPP thing and I've done quite well without it, and I know a fucking HUGE number of dumbasses with the CPP designation, as well as being cert'd PiMPs. Still, for the hiring org, there is some logic to wanting to see documentable knowledge of a topic.

Again, PMP is a scam -- my recent successful completion of how to obtain credits to maintain my PiMP status is evidence of this. But it is the world we live in. Oh well....
Old 18 May 2013, 09:28
I aim to misbehave

My issue with certs is the whole idea of paying a buttload of money to maintain them. If I don't pay my yearly fee, does that mean I know less this year than I did the year before? I already gave up my CISSP...just tired of dealing with it. My GCIA is up next year, and I'm probably going to let it go as well. I'll likely end up with nothing my my Sec+, just because it never expires...

As for PMP...I gave up on ever getting mine a few years ago. Just not worth the trouble.

While true:
Continue

Our new posting rules