SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 24 July 2016, 12:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
Actually I've liked TCG's ongoing reminder about the fact that I'm not a young guy, and should train smart. It's real easy (especially with a strong judo background) to think I'm still that guy. Hell, I look in the mirror and I still see that young badass.

In fact I can't understand WHY the young girls heads don't turn like they used to...and WORSE when they DO...they talk to me like I'm some HARMLESS old dude. F#@k, I never wanted to be "harmless". Like I might as well walk out on a f'n iceberg and float away...as if I'm no longer useful to the tribe.

If nothing else, KRAV should help get that confidence back.

I felt pretty shit-hot after my experiences and training in ISrael. I came back to the US, started working executive protection fairly quickly, got married, had kids, and got sucked into a vortex of six 12hr shifts a week, travel details, etc, and didn't do any martial arts training at all for 10 years. I was basically cashing in on my resume, but the longer I went, the worse I felt about myself. I'm not stupid, I knew 80% or more of it was gone. So when I lost my job after 10 years, I took the opportunity to start doing judo, and the confidence I've gained over the last 8 years has been tremendous. Lately, I can't go more than 1-2 times a week, and I'm worse now than I was 3 years ago, but I do what I can. Just having regular physical contact with people keeps something inside alive, and even if I get smashed it's fine. It's the difference between wondering what you remember and can feasibly pull off, and KNOWING what you can do....because you did it 2 days ago.

As far as young girls....they don't know what they don't know. Go do krav, and rest easy knowing you could break their soft, neckbeard boyfriend in two. Oh, I'm sure you do keep in shape, but if not, it's the easiest way to get ahead. Given the limited time I can dedicate to judo, I do intense kettlebell workouts almost nightly. When I AM able to attend judo, my timing may suck, my reflexes off, but I never have to worry about fitness, and that allows me to spend more time worrying about the stuff I came to do, less time sucking wind. I can wear all the young guys out, all of them. KB workouts are never longer than 30 minutes, usually closer to 15.
Old 24 July 2016, 23:14
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Judo is actually far more interesting than many people realize. For example, just contains rudimentary strikes, and defenses against strikes; there's a whole kata dedicated to self-defense against strikes, knives, swords, and gun takeaways; new judo is very sport oriented (which has many many self defense benefits), but if you do judo against an old, high level black belt, there's seriously dirty shit in there far outside the common throws and submissions.
This!

Keep me in the loop if you do the Judo/Krav test. Very interesting stuff.

Quote:
I was basically cashing in on my resume, but the longer I went, the worse I felt about myself. I'm not stupid, I knew 80% or more of it was gone. So when I lost my job after 10 years, I took the opportunity to start doing judo, and the confidence I've gained over the last 8 years has been tremendous. Lately, I can't go more than 1-2 times a week, and I'm worse now than I was 3 years ago, but I do what I can.
Another great (and honest) post.

If I don't get a good gut feeling from our one Krav school, I'll likely try to find an old school Judo dojo and try to reclaim those skills.

Saved my life twice on the motorcycle just knowing how to fall, tuck, roll...redirect and dispurse energy. Once "dispersed" onto the back door of a Suburban that pulled in front of me at 60mph. Neither me or the Suburban had a scratch! Judo is awesome.
Old 25 July 2016, 00:30
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
I'm sure you do keep in shape, but if not, it's the easiest way to get ahead. Given the limited time I can dedicate to judo, I do intense kettlebell workouts almost nightly. When I AM able to attend judo, my timing may suck, my reflexes off, but I never have to worry about fitness, and that allows me to spend more time worrying about the stuff I came to do, less time sucking wind. I can wear all the young guys out, all of them. KB workouts are never longer than 30 minutes, usually closer to 15.
Spot on, also! At age 55, I've dropped from 235 to 185 in the last year, by doing two (relativly easy) things...First, combine my "intervals" (3mi walk/run, alternate songs) with kettlebell-type of lifting to the larger groups. That anerobic resistance is the key to trigger on the "T" switch after 50yrs age. Before that, I could run a ton and not lose weight. I use 25 and 35lb dumbbells because I already had them, but may pickup some kettles. Squats have made all the difference. I was worried about a quad/hamstring imbalance, but squats seem to include the hamstrings pretty well after all. Also got some gymnastic rings for more upper body resistance, but starting slowly with those. Long long lonnnnnnng way to any iron crosses! (if ever). Training as smart as possible...makes it (relatively) easy. Put one dumbbell by the shitter to make sure I don't skip curls. Had to reach 55yrs to think of that!
Old 25 July 2016, 01:23
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordinary Average Guy View Post
I sought out some Philippinos. It's like standing in a blender. Went back to combatives. I've got nothing to prove; I just want to go home with my tendons and ligaments intact.
OAG, will you explain further? I think I know what your saying, but want to be sure.

I've decided to give our local Krav class a shot, and maybe some "sport" judo too, just to rekindle the reflexes/memories. So, any off-track input is still welcome. I always wanted to try Escrima because there's always a stick-like object nearby. (sadly, now it's a f'n stapler!)

My dad did some stick training back in the WWII version of his AIT. Love that old stuff!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4_VqgqBk7E
Old 25 July 2016, 04:30
100 posts and I still haven't been banned from SOCNET!

My amateur opinion is that much of the F.M.A. bladed stuff is overly complicated and wishful thinking. In trapping range with knives you're just shredding each other, and that's on a good day. The disarms don't work against Western styled bladework with good footwork at full speed (at least they didn't for me), and I still don't understand the point to all the reverse-grip stuff--you're just sacrificing speed, range, and mechanical advantage.

I'm not any kind of professional badass. I'm not any kind of badass at all, really. I'm just a guy who has been on the receiving end of a few violent encounters, who doesn't want to be a victim, a hostage, comatose, piss through a catheter, or be on dialysis ever again. I might not be so lucky next time, so I'm not going to rely on luck. That is the lens through which I dissect and analyse any method of fighting.
"Heaven is having a Japanese wife, a Chinese cook, an English house and an American salary. Hell, on the other hand, is having a Chinese salary, an English cook, a Japanese house and an American wife."

Last edited by Ordinary Average Guy; 25 July 2016 at 04:37. Reason: Syntax.
Old 27 July 2016, 11:22
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
I might not be so lucky next time, so I'm not going to rely on luck. That is the lens through which I dissect and analyse any method of fighting.
+1. Especially since getting "grayer" I (and the wife) become more of a target. I know my best weapon is between the ears (situational awareness). But getting back into training is a good thing in many ways.
Old 28 July 2016, 08:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
My amateur opinion is that much of the F.M.A. bladed stuff is overly complicated and wishful thinking. In trapping range with knives you're just shredding each other, and that's on a good day. The disarms don't work against Western styled bladework with good footwork at full speed (at least they didn't for me), and I still don't understand the point to all the reverse-grip stuff--you're just sacrificing speed, range, and mechanical advantage.

I'm not any kind of professional badass. I'm not any kind of badass at all, really. I'm just a guy who has been on the receiving end of a few violent encounters, who doesn't want to be a victim, a hostage, comatose, piss through a catheter, or be on dialysis ever again. I might not be so lucky next time, so I'm not going to rely on luck. That is the lens through which I dissect and analyse any method of fighting.
A whole lot of stuff falls under the FMA umbrella, and a lot of it is good, and some of it is less good. As with everything, the most important thing is finding a good school that does aliveness training as well.
Old 28 July 2016, 16:12
Confirmed User

Knife stuff scares the crap out of me. Someday I'll learn some....
Old 28 July 2016, 22:46
#BlackRiflesMatter

Lots of good stuff (and admittedly often funny) in these old training vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VYGRcwWXUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeBc8TGf9pA
Old 28 July 2016, 23:11
All Labs Matter

We still trained in Fairbairn and Applegate combatives as late as the 90's...which IMHO was at the time an improvement over the (LINE) program the Marine Corps had adopted at the time. lol
Old 29 July 2016, 10:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Corporate Guy View Post
We still trained in Fairbairn and Applegate combatives as late as the 90's...which IMHO was at the time an improvement over the (LINE) program the Marine Corps had adopted at the time. lol
Proven in WWII...can't argue with that. Good enough for my great Uncles, and the OSS, fighting the Nazis and the Japs, good enough for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 29 July 2016, 10:53
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Proven in WWII...can't argue with that. Good enough for my great Uncles, and the OSS, fighting the Nazis and the Japs, good enough for me.
Yep...many of the modern combatives instructors still use them as their basis.

Some of the ones I like to watch the most are Kelly McCann and Lee Morrison among others. They leave the "pretty" out of things and get straight to the "ugly."
Old 29 July 2016, 15:13
#BlackRiflesMatter

And, since you fight as you train....(and I'm too old now for "pretty" stuff! LOL!)

My theory is "Train Ugly"!~

I'd love to see some of the Gurkha H2H training, some of which would involve qualifications at +10,000'-12,000+ ASL, I would guess.

Last edited by Tycon; 29 July 2016 at 15:27.
Old 29 July 2016, 17:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
And, since you fight as you train....(and I'm too old now for "pretty" stuff! LOL!)

My theory is "Train Ugly"!~

I'd love to see some of the Gurkha H2H training, some of which would involve qualifications at +10,000'-12,000+ ASL, I would guess.
huh? Gurkhas for decades did their training in Hong Kong. They now do it in Catterick, North Yorkshire, England. They are only initially recruited and selected in Nepal.

Old 29 July 2016, 20:15
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
huh? Gurkhas for decades did their training in Hong Kong. They now do it in Catterick, North Yorkshire, England. They are only initially recruited and selected in Nepal.
But my understanding is it's a family tradition type thing, and they work to be eligible and conditioned from childhood at 12K-asl?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP0Q14j5WEA

CORRECTION: Pokhara is not as high as I thought...up to around 5900' asl. I do hope to visit someday. Bucket list stuff.

Either way, I'd like to see what their edged weapon program must be like. It would have to be much more than the "parade" stuff (for the Queen) we commonly see. I can't think of a modern day warrior more trained to be using a blade in combat.
Gotta be some interesting no-shit stuff.

Last edited by Tycon; 29 July 2016 at 20:44. Reason: Corrected elevation guess to factual data.
Old 29 July 2016, 20:57
Been There Done That

Pokhara is not a training center though, it is just a recruiting/selection center. I have been there several times, and yes it is nice area and a gate way to even some nicer areas for trekking.

The vast majority of Gurkha recruits come from various minority/ethnic groups in Nepal - mainly the mountainous groups, such as the Gorka, Rai, Limbu, etc. So they come from some higher elevations.

You also have to remember, that besides the British Gurkhas, a good majority of Gurkha soldiers are in the Indian Army as well (use to be IIRC, 3 Bn (now down to 2) in the British Army and 9 Bns in the Indian Army, and there use to be a very small contingent in the Malaysian Army.

Most of the Gurkhas I had the pleasure working for me in Iraq, were Indian Army Gurkhas, and a few British Gurkhas. I actually found many times the Indian Army Gurkhas more easy to work with. Plus many of them had years of combat experience under their belt in the Kashmir region.

From my understanding, they carry the khukri, but really do not spend much time training with it. It is actually considered more of a tool than a weapon. In Nepal, many in rural areas carry a khukri as a work tool as well.

Old 29 July 2016, 22:32
#BlackRiflesMatter

Thank you for that post LP. Visiting that area and culture would be a dream come true. It may already be too late for serious altitude with some resp. issues (AZ allergy induced), but if I won the lotto that would be first trip! I'd go as far/high as I could toward base camp! Then I'd recover on the beach in VN or Thailand (for a year! LOL). Then maybe Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore. Finally Japan for a while, then home to Az (winter/shooting), Fl(boat) for race week thru spring break! Then Ak(summer). Rinse, Repeat.
If money didn't matter.
Old 29 July 2016, 22:40
Been There Done That

Tycon, you do not need as much money as you think. I just put together a trip this October/November for a student of mine. 5 days in Hong Kong (marital arts training), 2 weeks in Thailand (Kanchanaburi and Sukothai), and 4 weeks in Nepal trekking (Helembu area). Total cost of trip, including round trip air fare from Chicago, is coming to $2,700 to $3,000.

Also there are many areas to trek in Nepal that do not get above 10,000 ft. if you are concerned about alt. sickness/resp. issues. The Helembu area is one such area, and very nice for trekking.

I backpacked through China, India and Nepal for 4 months, over a decade ago, and my cost was around $4500, including airfare.

Did a month long trek once in Northern India (Ladakh) and several multi week/month long treks in Nepal, on a couple of other occasions and did not spend more than about $10 a day while trekking, or for supplies while trekking.

If you want to hang out in Vietnam, Hoi An is perfect for longer term stays. Spent an enjoyable two months there a few years ago between contracts. You can live very well there for $1,000 a month.

In terms of your original question, take a look to see if any Wing Chun Chinese Boxing schools in your area. See if they are teaching it correctly, as if it is, it would seem to meet your needs. You are free to PM me if you have any questions. I ran a Wing Chun school for three years, and currently getting back into teaching a small group of students again.

Last edited by leopardprey; 29 July 2016 at 22:53.
Old 29 July 2016, 23:00
Another pool cleaner

LP, you should open a travel agency. Your wealth of knowledge in that area is superb, brother.
Old 29 July 2016, 23:19
#BlackRiflesMatter

LP, I think you lived the life I wanted, bro...before it got hosed up by evil selfish unsavory women with no honor. Finally got that fixed.

Not really knowing the area, I was looking(dreaming) at REI guided treks. With side time on my own at Museums and Old School blade mfg stuff, etc; Was dreaming from the 6x6' corporate prison cubicle about where I'd rather be! While my coworkers giggle, whisper, and text stupid shit all day and try to rot my work ethic! It is time to retire and travel! LOL!

Our new posting rules