SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 16 June 2018, 06:12
Been There Done That

Soccer World Cup 2018

This thread is about the soccer world cup. Based on the last few world cup threads here, (1) if you want to talk about the Rugby World Cup or discuss your preference for rugby, please start a different thread rather than hijack this thread and (2) if you want to express your dislike for soccer as a sport, also feel free to start a separate thread ad rant away.

That said, what teams do you folks like? What about dark horse teams?

Spain vs Portugal yesterday was epic. France vs Australia is on as I write this. As with every 4 years, I'm looking forward to Argentina not bringing home another Cup and drinking their tears. Messi may be a great player but he may end up being the Dan Marino of the World Cup in terms of his inability to win this event for his country.

The games are broadcast free on the nbcsports website until 25 June but you may have to deal with the spanish feed from Telemundo

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.

Last edited by HighDragLowSpeed; 16 June 2018 at 06:20.
Old 16 June 2018, 07:21
In Vino Veritas

IDK but living in Germany in 2014 was awesome. Probably the top of my soccer moments.
Old 16 June 2018, 09:10
Old and Grumpy

So far I've only caught the second half of the Spain/Portugal match. You are right in that it was epic.. Reynaldo's free kick that tied the game near the end was fantastic.
Old 16 June 2018, 09:26
Been There Done That

Argentina Iceland is shaping up to be a great match. 1-1 right now and it's like watching constant fast break basketball.

Old 16 June 2018, 10:27
Been There Done That

Messi misses the penalty kick...hahahaha. Greatest of all time? Maradona and Ronaldo are laughing themselves silly

Old 16 June 2018, 10:46
Authorized Personnel

Watching it as well. Since the USMNT missed the cut, Iím rooting for England, Mexico, and Spain. My wife has a lot of Italian on her side of the family (lived there too) and is bummed about Italy not making the cut. Another good friend of mine is Italian as well but his stepmother is Costa Rican so heís pulling for Costa Rica. Heading over to a good friendís house this afternoon for a crawfish boil and heís a huge Tottenham fan and is pulling for Iceland. One of my brothers is rooting for France. Most of my friends and family are huge soccer fans.

Not very happy with the direction of the USMNT. We have systemic issues and need to start looking at other countries and how they develop their players in conjunction with supporting infrastructure. And MLS is not the solution at the moment. Developing players have to play overseas for us to be competitive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 16 June 2018, 10:55
Authorized Personnel

Even though it was a tie, that was a win for Iceland. Ymmv

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 16 June 2018, 10:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
Even though it was a tie, that was a win for Iceland. Ymmv
I agree. Nigeria and Croatia aren't pushovers and if Argentina takes a loss in either, they may not advance.

Old 16 June 2018, 11:03
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
I agree. Nigeria and Croatia aren't pushovers and if Argentina takes a loss in either, they may not advance.
Agree... who are you pulling for... any favorites?

Old 16 June 2018, 11:52
The atomic zit

Quote:
...And MLS is not the solution at the moment. Developing players have to play overseas for us to be competitive. ...
I could not agree more.

If you havenít, look up Christian Pulisic. 19yo American playing for Borussia Dortmund in Germany.
Old 16 June 2018, 12:29
Authorized Personnel

I basically get up on the weekends during season and watch the Premiere Bundesliga La Liga etc. Christian is a talent. Enjoy watching him play.

That was Jurgen's plan of attack as well to recruit US kids that grew up overseas playing for overseas clubs. He was upset when Clint Dempsey left Fulham to go play in the MLS. Even though Fulham got relegated to the Championship, he wouldíve been playing much better talent as opposed to taking a big pay day and coming back to play in the MLS.

Jurgen said he basically understood why he wanted to get paid but really wished he wouldíve stayed in England instead. I donít know man... if it were me, Iíd probably stay in England and play in the Championship. Try to get us in contention for the Cup. And wait for the pay day to come a little bit later.

Oh, a lot of those kids who he recruited were service member kids with one of the parents being at the host country and they decided to stay which I think is kind of cool too.

Old 16 June 2018, 12:48
Calculating Infinity...

I don't really follow soccer, but I love watching World Cup play. I was shocked to hear that the US didn't even qualify.
Old 16 June 2018, 14:09
Confirmed User

It's definitely an odd World Cup without Italy and the Dutch.

Ronaldo played one of the best matches I've seen him play. After yesterday I said Messi was going to have respond in a big way not to fall into Ronaldo's shadow. I missed the Iceland match, but it doesn't sound positive.

Pulling for Portugal, Iceland, and England. My guess is it will be Germany as I don't think Brazil could have gotten that much better in the last 4 years.

Last edited by 34RX; 16 June 2018 at 14:09. Reason: Grammar
Old 16 June 2018, 14:23
Confirmed User

With the USA out of the mix, I am pulling for England. If Italy was in, I would also be supporting them.

I am definitely in the "anyone but Germany or Argentina" category.

I love the World Cup, and I have become a fan of soccer in general because of my close friend, who is a Brit expat (who just got his American citizenship). I watch the Premiere league as often as I can. And I have gotten him into American football.
Old 16 June 2018, 15:28
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I heard one sports blog reported "Iceland beats Argentina, 1-1".

I'm pulling for Iceland, first time in the Cup and they played one of the favorites to a tie. Strange world where Iceland qualifies for the WC and the US is shutout.
Old 16 June 2018, 15:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I heard one sports blog reported "Iceland beats Argentina, 1-1".

I'm pulling for Iceland, first time in the Cup and they played one of the favorites to a tie.
Brother, a tie against Argentina is as good as a win in that difficult group. That whole group is legit (Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria) and with a tie against Argentina, the door is still open for Iceland to advance...or for Argentina not to.

Old 16 June 2018, 15:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Agree... who are you pulling for... any favorites?
With the US not qualifying, I'm for most of the South American teams that aren't Argentina. My girlfriend is Brazilian so I don't have much choice in which team I want to win hahaha

Old 16 June 2018, 16:08
Confirmed User

too bad the USA is not in.
Brazil v. Argentina will be a thrilling final.
Germany and Spain is in too.
Old 16 June 2018, 16:44
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I don't watch much soccer, but I always enjoy the World Cup, there is a lot going on and the play is generally pretty good.

Got warmed up for it by watching the premier league championship match, saw one of the sweetest back kick goals (I guess it's called a bicycle kick) by the player named Bale, shades of Pele.

How can you not appreciate the athleticism and coordination that went into not only the kick, but the pass that made it possible?
Old 16 June 2018, 23:57
Confirmed User

I think we Aussies did well against France. Damn that VAR!!!!

2 man and 1 woman is flying towards gay mountain with no visibility at high speed - Johan

Our new posting rules