SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Navy SEALs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 9 February 2018, 10:52
Proeliator 37 Proeliator 37 is offline
Army SF
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: South Central US
Posts: 78
Broad investigation launched...

This is linked to the ongoing investigation on the homicide of Army Special Forces SSG Logan J. Melgar, but it centers around OPFUND abuse and theft.

Link to the story:

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/07/...en-beret-mali/

Story Preview: “A criminal investigation into the death of Army Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar, who was killed last June while deployed in Bamako, Mali, has prompted a broad internal military audit and investigation into SEAL Team 6, according to a military official and two others briefed on the case...

...Investigators suspect the two SEALs being investigated in the Melgar case were stealing cash from operational funds used for informants and other contingencies while deployed. The new investigation aims to determine whether such thefts are a routine practice among the members of the elite counterterrorism unit...”
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 9 February 2018, 22:06
mike76233 mike76233 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 253
Out of curiosity, are these informant/contingency funds helpful or are they usually just taken advantage of by the indigenous population?

Reason I'm asking is the article makes the implication this is widespread. I don't necessarily take the article's word for this but if true it leads me to believe these funds are a waste. I'm aware of quite a bit of waste and stupid shit done on the conventional side in regards to how money is acquired by the elements of the Afghan population.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 9 February 2018, 22:16
Frog's Avatar
Frog Frog is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,604
Yeah, the Intercept. . . now there's a reputable news team - - NOT!
Case in point:
Jeremy Scahill

Co-founding Editor and Senior Investigative Reporter
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 9 February 2018, 22:41
mike76233 mike76233 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 253
Scahill is the worst. Saw some bs documentary od his a few years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 9 February 2018, 23:10
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: On a plane...
Posts: 6,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike76233 View Post
Out of curiosity, are these informant/contingency funds helpful or are they usually just taken advantage of by the indigenous population?
This is not an appropriate forum to address that.

The Intercept put Snowden up to his treasonous acts, so I will view anything they publish accordingly.
__________________
Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 9 February 2018, 23:43
Massgrunt's Avatar
Massgrunt Massgrunt is offline
Policeman Officer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Day shift.
Posts: 12,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
Yeah, the Intercept. . . now there's a reputable news team - - NOT!
Case in point:
Jeremy Scahill

Co-founding Editor and Senior Investigative Reporter
Jeremy Scahill is somewhere between a hack and a fraud and if he's ever been right about anything it's been by coincidence.
__________________
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10 February 2018, 00:58
mike76233 mike76233 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
This is not an appropriate forum to address that.
Understood sir.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10 February 2018, 23:17
MixedLoad's Avatar
MixedLoad MixedLoad is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NORCAL
Posts: 8,623
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Jeremy Scahill is somewhere between a hack and a fraud and if he's ever been right about anything it's been by coincidence.
Scahill rhymes with Shill. No coincidence there.
__________________
“Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re"

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11 February 2018, 16:07
Sigi's Avatar
Sigi Sigi is offline
Life is simple, not easy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 4,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike76233 View Post
Scahill is the worst. Saw some bs documentary od his a few years ago.
Dirty Wars. I have it on Netflix but never watched it because it sounded bad just reviewing what it was about. Chasing down the hidden truth of America's secret covert wars? Blech.
__________________
.
bravodelta: "If they start taxing lapdances, I think I'll call it quits and become a chaplain."
Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12 February 2018, 08:33
mdavid's Avatar
mdavid mdavid is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: High Springs, FL
Posts: 690
Seems easy enough to check the assets and purchases of anyone given large amounts of cash for these transactions.

There is no doubt in my mind that if the IRS and DOD audited vehicle and home purchases, permits for upgrades to houses and amazon purchases they could find most all violators.
Federal accountants are very very good when they are pointed in a direction.

These guys aren't going to transfer into gold/bitcoins and just sit on it for 20 years, it'd be genius, but criminals don't often take that route.

Looks like other media sources are also covering this story
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/13/u...eath-mali.html
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12 February 2018, 09:24
Proeliator 37 Proeliator 37 is offline
Army SF
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: South Central US
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavid View Post
Seems easy enough to check the assets and purchases of anyone given large amounts of cash for these transactions.

There is no doubt in my mind that if the IRS and DOD audited vehicle and home purchases, permits for upgrades to houses and amazon purchases they could find most all violators.
Federal accountants are very very good when they are pointed in a direction.

These guys aren't going to transfer into gold/bitcoins and just sit on it for 20 years, it'd be genius, but criminals don't often take that route.

Looks like other media sources are also covering this story
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/13/u...eath-mali.html
Unfortunately OPFUND violations happen and whenever humans are involved in a venture, there is the possibility of a few succumbing to baser instincts and doing the wrong thing. But, at this juncture, what really happened is anybody’s guess.

The truth will come out eventually when the official investigation is complete.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12 February 2018, 15:15
ussfpa's Avatar
ussfpa ussfpa is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 3,382
SIDEBAR:
There was a unit I was a part of, unlimited budget, no oversight for spending etc...
"You need to take this money ($500,000) in country"
Me: OK
I get there: "Let's sit and count this money so you can sign for it"
'THEM': "WE don't need to count it, and WE don't need to sign for it"
Tried for 3 days - each day 'THEY' refused until I said either count and sign or I'm taking it back with me. THEY relented.

Fast forward to end of mission and briefing the CG with our new J4 (O5):
'THEM': "OPFUND was distributed according to mission requirements and parameters....next slide"
J4: "Where are your receipts? Where is the change?"
'THEM': Change? What change? There is NEVER any CHANGE! We spent it right down to the penny! And why are you asking for receipts? We said it was spent according to mission requirements?!?

CG looked at the J4, asked "who signed for the money?", J4 looked at me, I pulled out my hand receipt signing it over to the briefing party and handed it up the briefing table...CG looked up at the briefer and said "you have until COB tomorrow to gather your receipts...to the penny...for a half million dollars. Questions? Didn't think so - briefing concluded"

Did not go well for 'THEM' lol
__________________
I cannot empathize with a slackard, a shirker, and a coward. I would probably kick your ass as well, if one of the other members didn't beat me to it.
Happy New Year Message from TR- 1/1/04
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 13 February 2018, 15:43
Justaclerk's Avatar
Justaclerk Justaclerk is offline
Drawing my cutlass
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 7,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa View Post
SIDEBAR:
There was a unit I was a part of, unlimited budget, no oversight for spending etc...
"You need to take this money ($500,000) in country"
Me: OK
I get there: "Let's sit and count this money so you can sign for it"
'THEM': "WE don't need to count it, and WE don't need to sign for it"
Tried for 3 days - each day 'THEY' refused until I said either count and sign or I'm taking it back with me. THEY relented.

Fast forward to end of mission and briefing the CG with our new J4 (O5):
'THEM': "OPFUND was distributed according to mission requirements and parameters....next slide"
J4: "Where are your receipts? Where is the change?"
'THEM': Change? What change? There is NEVER any CHANGE! We spent it right down to the penny! And why are you asking for receipts? We said it was spent according to mission requirements?!?

CG looked at the J4, asked "who signed for the money?", J4 looked at me, I pulled out my hand receipt signing it over to the briefing party and handed it up the briefing table...CG looked up at the briefer and said "you have until COB tomorrow to gather your receipts...to the penny...for a half million dollars. Questions? Didn't think so - briefing concluded"

Did not go well for 'THEM' lol
This just won the internet until the end of the week. LMMFAO
__________________
Quote:
Death is a farcical pile of bullshit.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 28 February 2018, 07:17
IrishSoldier IrishSoldier is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Walking in L.A.
Posts: 1,478
Any update on this? I always had issues with NSW being involved in this type of work as they don't seem to like the mission and all the rules that go with it.
__________________
"Don't make me assume my ultimate form, I will Fucking wreck you!"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11 May 2018, 14:51
WGH0922 WGH0922 is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSoldier View Post
Any update on this?
I saw this last night and I hope to God it's not true.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/africa/...eret-s-n873141
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 27 August 2018, 01:51
256's Avatar
256 256 is offline
Navigating
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
I saw this last night and I hope to God it's not true.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/africa/...eret-s-n873141
Got on and looked up this thread to see if there were any updates, May 11th being the last I read about anything. The above update to this was pretty broad. “Two Marines may have been present at some point during the night” could literally mean, mentioned Marines witnessed SSG Melgar go here at this time.

I’m assuming we won’t hear any updates frkm here on out (accordingly so) until the investigation is complete.
__________________
Kiowas are small, carrying just two people; they fly so low the two flying soldiers are practically infantrymen.

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 9 October 2018, 15:12
Pati39's Avatar
Pati39 Pati39 is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Right Coast
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSoldier View Post
Any update on this? I always had issues with NSW being involved in this type of work as they don't seem to like the mission and all the rules that go with it.

I take personal offense.... don't lump us all in together..

Haha
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 9 October 2018, 15:39
Jimbo's Avatar
Jimbo Jimbo is offline
Scoundrel
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: inside your OODA loop
Posts: 6,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSoldier View Post
Any update on this? I always had issues with NSW being involved in this type of work as they don't seem to like the mission and all the rules that go with it.
Same is true of all SOF units.
__________________

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 9 October 2018, 15:59
Sharky's Avatar
Sharky Sharky is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: SOCNET
Posts: 19,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Same is true of all SOF units.
True.

Irish Soldier and I were both sticklers for following the rules when we were working together.
__________________
I was born my papa's son
When I hit the ground I was on the run
I had one glad hand and the other behind
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
© SOCNET 1996-2018