SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 21 April 2018, 02:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivyScum View Post
Guns make people dumb. Duct tape makes people smart.”
Ok, I've read that a couple of times. I've thought about it for a bit. I guess I'm a bit of a dumbass, but I have no idea what this means?
Old 21 April 2018, 02:44

Speaking for myself, I imagine it means that if you have a 'gun', then that will be the first thing you go to in order to solve a problem. If you do not have a gun, then you have to devote alternative resources (people skills, cleverness, etc) to solve the problem.

I think it's a ridiculous concept full of flaws and 'prey' mentality. I understand why many people think that way......but it's a mindset that reeks of inherent weakness and inability to conceptualize that there are situations that you won't be able to finesse your way through. But YMMV....

To me, there literally is no substitute for a firearm whatsoever. Behavior with a firearm is a derived from the individual(s) themselves.
Old 21 April 2018, 07:20
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
If I have a gun and you don't you're essentially a cache with legs.
Haha, yup.

Have a tool or be a tool.

Also, know how to use a tool.

Make sure that the first time for tool familiarization is not when SHTF or on the roadside at zero dark thirty in the middle of a snowstorm.

Also, be very cautious of synthetic clothing and fire. Our ER always have to deal with serious burns from synthetic clothing. Just this month, we had a guy whose synthetic pants melted to his skin (burning his balls, perineum and both legs, requiring major surgery). I have transitioned to wool, cotton, silk.

Knowledge is power. Use your mind. Ass will follow.
Old 21 April 2018, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
So a bit of feedback on your GO BAG insight. No IFAK? First aid is a must in every bag I build. TQT, bandages, ouchies and booboos and stomach distress.

You are barking up the wrong tree with your preachings on firearms. Believe what you want, but many of the the folks here are masters of the art and not a bunch of rednecks waving a Taurus 44 magnum around in their wife beater T shirt. While I myself remain a humble student of the master(s), there are people here that solve problems that they themselves do not start, problems that can only be solved through violence.

Lastly, I agree with your assessment of cotton. It Kills in the Field.

Welcome to SOCNET.
I have a medkit; I think I listed it my 'always on me bag' as a "GOOD medkit".

It has the typical gauze/quickclot, Sanitization wipes, surgical tape, instant cold pack, irrigation syringe, triangle badge, burn jel, electrolyte rehydration, Ibuprofen, Non-asprin, Antihistamine, antidiarrheal, Asprin, moleskin, steristrips, povidone-iodine prep pad, triple antibiotic... couple other small things.

Didn't mean to come off as antigun- I'm really not. I think I said that if you can pack a gun, do it. But my reality (and probably many others) doesn't allow me to have a firearm on me or in my vehicle (I work on base), that's the first and foremost logistical issue. I have to get home to get to my guns. So my plan has to revolve around a mindset of dealing without that tool as it wont be an option most of the time. For others that may be in the same situation- they have to have the mindset that they can still handle some problems without that specific tool.
Old 21 April 2018, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
Yeah I can't say I agree with you much on the second bolded part. To me, a firearm is like a knife... I always carry one. Maybe in your protected world view, you don't feel the need. Other peoples' experiences may vary.

The rest of your post about firearms is nonsensical, like someone who has lived a relatively protected life without exposure to the real bad world. There are at least 5 occasions in my everyday life in which a firearm on my person has de-escalated a potentially violent end to my life or serious bodily harm. All five of these times were in my home state away from the military.
I'm not antigun- I have my firearms. I just can't have them on me most of the day (I work on base). So my survival situation is a little different. I think many people don't get to have firearms on them at all times- so I'm speaking more to them.

5 times!? Wow. Yes, by comparison, my life is VERY sheltered. I mean, don't get me wrong, people have been shot and killed within 5 miles of my home in parking lot disputes and the like. But I've never had to draw on anybody, thankfully. The only time I almost got into a serious issue with someone who was looking for a reason to harm me, I ended up talking down the situation. But that's by no means a template everyone should follow... and I would have liked to have a gun lol
Old 21 April 2018, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
If I have a gun and you don't you're essentially a cache with legs.
Something tells me that if I had a gun, one of us (or both) would be dead and it'd be a raccoon's cache...
Old 21 April 2018, 12:26
Six Minutes!

Quote:

5 times!? Wow. Yes, by comparison, my life is VERY sheltered. I mean, don't get me wrong, people have been shot and killed within 5 miles of my home in parking lot disputes and the like. But I've never had to draw on anybody, thankfully. The only time I almost got into a serious issue with someone who was looking for a reason to harm me, I ended up talking down the situation. But that's by no means a template everyone should follow... and I would have liked to have a gun lol
Yes five times. 2 times with bears, once with a horny cow moose, and twice with people. The animal encounters took warning/scare-away shots to the ground in front of them. The 2 times with people merely took me drawing my pistol to get them to back off and leave.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad
Old 21 April 2018, 12:48

Quote:
In the interest of keeping with the subject of this thread, my GO bag consists of the following:

USAF issue IFAK- cause they didn't ask for it back
USAF MCU-2/P gas mask, carrier and 2 filters
poncho liner
dyneema shelter/poncho
100 ish feet of 550 cord
merino wool socks x2
US issue canteen with canteen cup
canteen cup stove with trioxane tabs
iodine water purification tabs
steripen (UV water purification)
batteries
sven camp saw
Mora knife
6 pack of Snickers bars
Glock 20SF 10mm
3 extra mags
Globalstar sat phone
2m/70cm HAM HT

These are all in a Sandpiper of California pack that I got at the PX in Kyrgyzstan.
Gas mask is a good addition.
Old 21 April 2018, 12:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Something tells me that if I had a gun, one of us (or both) would be dead and it'd be a raccoon's cache...
I have a dollar on Massgrunt. You have poor SA.
Old 21 April 2018, 12:59
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
When you were here the first time, was your user name was WhenTheEagleCries?
Old 21 April 2018, 13:03

Quote:
Yes five times. 2 times with bears, once with a horny cow moose, and twice with people. The animal encounters took warning/scare-away shots to the ground in front of them. The 2 times with people merely took me drawing my pistol to get them to back off and leave.
Ah, including wildlife, I've had a couple too then. Bears is one of the reasons I picked up a Glock 20. I generally only have to be concerned with black bears around here. If someone has to deal with Browns or Grizzly's and Moose in their area, their kit might need to include a long gun. There are some bags that incorporate the ability to attach long guns to the bag, which is good while it's being stored in a vehicle or something. Also, other people in those necks of the woods seem to be a little less skiddish with guns. Here near D.C., you'll have every yuppie passing you calling the cops every time- so concealment has to be taken into consideration.

It's legal to open carry in VA (although DEFINITELY not D.C.), but you'll get way more attention than you want. Unless the government has totally broken down, any natural disaster-type of bugout will likely cause you a lot more problems if you're running around with a shotgun or rifle.
Old 21 April 2018, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
When you were here the first time, was your user name was WhenTheEagleCries?
? This is my first time. Never had an account before. So, no.
Old 21 April 2018, 13:48
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
? This is my first time. Never had an account before. So, no.
Ah. Then welcome. I'm glad you are here to share your knowledge.
Old 29 April 2018, 09:19
The Sagacious One

LA Police Gear Sale

I have professed about the LAPG bags here before. Their named brand gear is super affordable and of good quality. They are having a sale today for %30 off their named brand gear. Everything from pistol and rifle cases to rusksacks and range bags. Code is LAPGBAG30
Old 29 April 2018, 09:56
Old Scroll

^^^ Thx, TFG. 3-day backpack 2.0 with the chest attachment for $54 shipped.

The combo is shown here. Fantastic buy.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 29 April 2018, 12:01
Policeman Officer

Reminds me of a HABD!
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 10 May 2018, 08:34
Been There Done That

Very informative thread. For my civilian friends who are loaded with cash and are not going to spend time to assemble their own, is there a bag out there that's pre loaded that anyone has come across that they would recommend?

Thanks
Old 10 May 2018, 09:35
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJurena View Post
Very informative thread. For my civilian friends who are loaded with cash and are not going to spend time to assemble their own, is there a bag out there that's pre loaded that anyone has come across that they would recommend?

Thanks
There are but my issue with those is the people who are to lazy to build their own are going to be to lazy to learn the gear in whatever bad they buy. If they are learning as they need it, they will be screwed.
Old 10 May 2018, 12:40
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
There are but my issue with those is the people who are to lazy to build their own are going to be to lazy to learn the gear in whatever bad they buy. If they are learning as they need it, they will be screwed.
Agreed...Pack the items you know you will use. Items that have quality and value to you, and you are comfortable / knowledgeable with. Just because Bear Gryllis has a kit from his sponsor (Gerber), and used it during his show, doesn't mean it will work for you.
Old 4 June 2018, 22:47
Been There Done That

Anyone using the 5.11 rush12 or 24. Thinking about the 24 but wondering if it's too big and the 12 with some added pouches would be better.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

Our new posting rules