Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 28 August 2012, 08:33
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch
I will sell you vegetable fat or animal fat, unless there is another kind. Fat is full of calories and at 255 kcal/biscuit and long as you don't care what they weight or how much space they take up, we should be good to go....
Datrex Bar nutrional info.

Mayday Bar nutrional info. (Nutritional Information Serving Size: 3oz. 85g Servings Per Container: 6 (2400) Amount Per Serving Calories 400 Calories from Fat 150 % Daily Value* Total Fat 17g 26% Saturated Fat 4g 20% Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 35mg 1% Total Carb 55g 18% Dietary Fiber 2g 8% Sugars 14g Protein 7g Trans Fatty Acids 0g Vitamin A 100% Vitamin C 100% Vitamin D 100% Vitamin E 100% Vitamin B5 100% Vitamin B12 100% Iron 4% Thiamin 100% Niacin 100% Folate 100% Riboflavin 100% Pantothenic Acid 100% Biotin 100% Iodine 100% Copper 100% Zinc 100% *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Ingredients: Enriched Flour, Vegetable Shortening, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Soy Flour, Cornstarch, Potassium Sorbate, (Vitamins listed above), Artificial Lemon Flavoring, Artificial Vanilla Flavoring, Artificial Butter Flavoring, Artificial Coloring (Egg Shade).

Neither bars are excessive in fat content....
Old 28 August 2012, 09:34
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
...Neither bars are excessive in fat content...
I agree.

Thanks for the details on Mayday!

This is for Datrex: http://www.nitro-pak.com/datrex-emer...ood-bars-3600k The link you posted did not work for me.

For Comparison:

Brand: Content, Taste, IMO

Original Clif Bar: ~3.68 kcal/gram, Good.
Pemican Bar: ~3.95 kcal/gram, Tolerable.
BP-5: ~4.55 kcal/gram, n/a.
Mayday: ~4.71 kcal/gram, See B 2/75's opinion.
Datrex: ~5.26 kcal/gram, See B 2/75's opinion.

I have not researched prices, or volume/denisty, but all things being equal, I would think Datrex is the way to go from a calorie per weight, that someone has to carry, stand-point.

Edited to add email response from Compact for Life:

We regret to inform you that we are not allowed to sell to the US as our products are not US FDA approved. BP-5 is normally delivered to developing countries through larger organizations like the UN and Red Cross.

Sorry !

Best regards

COMPACT AS

Now I know why they were not forth coming with ingredients... :/

Last edited by Stretch; 28 August 2012 at 09:58. Reason: self explanitory
Old 28 August 2012, 11:51
Old Scroll

Probably made of hog lips & ears is why...

For a BoB, Datrax or Mayday should be just fine. You're looking for a product to support you for a very finite period of time. This is NOT a part of your long-term storage stockpile.

If you've got to research the topic more, then I'd respectfully say that IMO you're looking at the issue way too hard.
Old 28 August 2012, 12:09
The atomic zit

Thumbs up No more research for me, I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Probably made of hog lips & ears is why...

For a BoB, Datrax or Mayday should be just fine. You're looking for a product to support you for a very finite period of time. This is NOT a part of your long-term storage stockpile.

If you've got to research the topic more, then I'd respectfully say that IMO you're looking at the issue way too hard.
I have that "too hard" tendency.

Thanks for bringing me back around.
Old 10 September 2012, 15:58

As far as mobilizing with little kids in an emergency situation goes, keep one small item for each kid that connects them to their daily routine. It goes a long way in keeping them centered/cooperative/quiet in the short term while you attempt to transit a difficult area. If you can manage your kids stress levels, it lowers the parents a whole lot more- so you can focus more important things like keeping your brood safe.
Old 16 September 2012, 00:11
Not Dead? Don't Quit!

Why not buy a bunch of fish, dry brine it in a 50/50 of brown sugar and rock salt for 24 hours (rinse very well after and let air dry) then hot smoke the shit out it until its like jerky. Vacusave into 12oz. portions when finished and freeze until needed. Better flavor, full of protein and fat. Fat will be essential. Shit,

Can't you get protein poisoning. Thought I learned that a long time ago. Think I was on the topic of living off of rabbits with a survival guru and he mentioned the lack of fat being an issue.

I think a bunch of salt in itself would be good to have too. Lots of uses for it. And honey. You can treat a wound with it aaand, it never goes bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
The food I focus on is right in the grocery store, the foil.plastic packs of salmon and tuna. Small and durable, no water needed, lots of nutrition and NO COOKING. Its also a treat when added to rice or noodles.

This is a good one as protein will be much harder to come by.

I also have the privilege of living where most of you are going, so I concentrate more having what I need here.

I do have a few small BOB for the car and truck etc.
There’s a difference between interest and commitment. When you’re interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit. When you’re committed to something, you accept no excuses...only results

Last edited by AK49; 16 September 2012 at 00:20.
Old 26 September 2012, 22:22
Been There Done That

I just picked up a Cold Steel Special Forces shovel, you know, for those times when you just need to throw a sharpened shovel. It is actually sharper than I expected and the handle is solid hickory. Doesnt fold like the ETool we are all used to, but this tool looks like it will hold up to some serious abuse. Will have to tie it to the outside of my pack.

I also got a Sawvivor. It is a collapsible saw. I heard some really good things about this saw. It is made of lightweight aluminum, and there is really not much to it. My only issue is that I got the 18" saw and need some kind of bag to put it in.

Now I have to go camping to try out my new toys.
Old 26 September 2012, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75
For a BoB, Datrax or Mayday should be just fine....
Who has the best line on getting these? EBay has some serious stocks, but maybe someone here has a better connection?
Old 27 September 2012, 06:22
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
I just picked up a Cold Steel Special Forces shovel, you know, for those times when you just need to throw a sharpened shovel. It is actually sharper than I expected and the handle is solid hickory. Doesnt fold like the ETool we are all used to, but this tool looks like it will hold up to some serious abuse. Will have to tie it to the outside of my pack.

... SNIP...

Now I have to go camping to try out my new toys.
Now I have a corporate sales rep that needs to be slaughtered... I've had a bunch on back-order since April
Old 27 September 2012, 06:25
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Who has the best line on getting these? EBay has some serious stocks, but maybe someone here has a better connection?
SOTB, I wish I had a line... SurvivIt has simply purhased a sample of each from the cheapest eBay source, for feasibility testing. I prefer the Mayday, for taste & packaging... mostly all else being equal. If I get a whif of demand I could pick up the Mayday line as a regular item.
Old 27 September 2012, 07:14
The Sagacious One

I have 8 horses (source of food and transport) as well as 6 dogs, the cats will do what they want.

What are you going to bring for your pets? Or are you going to eat them? Post Katrina, Pet management is now a huge issue in emergency management as many folks would not evacuate because they could not take their pet.
Old 27 September 2012, 08:53
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I have 8 horses (source of food and transport) as well as 6 dogs, the cats will do what they want.

What are you going to bring for your pets? Or are you going to eat them? Post Katrina, Pet management is now a huge issue in emergency management as many folks would not evacuate because they could not take their pet.
You're telling me, We rolled in there with our AAV's a few days after the burst. We had to drag people kicking and screaming because they didn't want to leave their pets. I have a soft spot for animals so my track ended up looking to the "Ark" after a while. At one point I had a pit bull, English bull mastiff (Shaq was his name IIRC), 7 cats, 4 ferrets, a pot-bellied pig and a rabbit. The mastiff and pit bull ended up teaming up on one of the cats, wasn't pretty.

I defiantly prefer the mayday rations as stated by B2/75. Ask Freebird to check the lifeboats aboard the cruise he is abut to embark on. Free go-bag rations for all!

"I wish you could see, what I can see... Sometimes, you have to be up really high... To understand how small you are. I'm coming home now." Felix Baumgartner
Old 27 September 2012, 09:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy
....What are you going to bring for your pets? Or are you going to eat them?
It isan't enough, but we have 3 months food supply for our cat and dog....
Old 8 October 2012, 08:01
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Over the last few days I have been researching go bags and two things consistently hit home as flaws in the plans of most people.

1) Does anyone consider their prescription meds for their go bag? I know most SOCNET members would so this is rhetorical.

2) What stud is going to hump the amount of gear these so called experts recommend? I was looking at one list and I swear that as an 18 yo FAF (Fit As F*&K) Grunt, I'd be thinking twice about humping that packing list on my back.

Again rhetorical question as I am just venting my disbelief here in the forum. Feel free to discuss or call me out if I have it wrong but strike me pink I think these folk have dreams far exceeding their capabilities!

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 8 October 2012, 08:11
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Starlight View Post
Over the last few days I have been researching go bags and two things consistently hit home as flaws in the plans of most people.

1) Does anyone consider their prescription meds for their go bag? I know most SOCNET members would so this is rhetorical.

2) What stud is going to hump the amount of gear these so called experts recommend? I was looking at one list and I swear that as an 18 yo FAF (Fit As F*&K) Grunt, I'd be thinking twice about humping that packing list on my back.

Again rhetorical question as I am just venting my disbelief here in the forum. Feel free to discuss or call me out if I have it wrong but strike me pink I think these folk have dreams far exceeding their capabilities!
OS, got a link to the list?
Old 8 October 2012, 10:35
Been There Done That

Old_Starlight:

"Go Bags" as a concept - a bag to supply you as you GO SOMEWHERE has morphed in many folks minds into a bag that allows you to hike the AT Trail...

It is a bag to allow you to go somewhere...

IF that somewhere is so far away that you need a 65 lb load to get there (and it [the destination] may in fact dictate that much sustainment supplies) - then you need to have routes picked and cache supplies along that route:

What you have in your pockets/briefcase is your Go Bag to get to the car.

What you have in the car is your Go Bag to get home/family rally point.

What you have at home/rally point is your Go Bag to get to your destination.

What you have in various cache sites is what you need to sustain you to your destination.

(Most of my cache sites have a full-up kit, just in case I, or my family, have to head there as a rally point due to circumstances. .22 pistols and AR-7's are cheep and pickle easily...)

I've been harping on this issue for some time. Add small children to the mix and multiple cache sites become critical. No one is going to push/pull a trailer or sled with all that is needed AND provide security for themselves/family on the way out of town, or just off the X to get home/rally point.

Cache - cache - cache

It also serves the function of making the family walk the egress route and find the cache sites - a forced (and fun) rehersal for all.

Last edited by sixgun; 8 October 2012 at 10:36. Reason: spellin'
Old 8 October 2012, 12:44
RIP SOTB, CASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
Old_Starlight:

"Go Bags" as a concept - a bag to supply you as you GO SOMEWHERE has morphed in many folks minds into a bag that allows you to hike the AT Trail...

It is a bag to allow you to go somewhere...

IF that somewhere is so far away that you need a 65 lb load to get there (and it [the destination] may in fact dictate that much sustainment supplies) - then you need to have routes picked and cache supplies along that route:

What you have in your pockets/briefcase is your Go Bag to get to the car.

What you have in the car is your Go Bag to get home/family rally point.

What you have at home/rally point is your Go Bag to get to your destination.

What you have in various cache sites is what you need to sustain you to your destination.

(Most of my cache sites have a full-up kit, just in case I, or my family, have to head there as a rally point due to circumstances. .22 pistols and AR-7's are cheep and pickle easily...)

I've been harping on this issue for some time. Add small children to the mix and multiple cache sites become critical. No one is going to push/pull a trailer or sled with all that is needed AND provide security for themselves/family on the way out of town, or just off the X to get home/rally point.

Cache - cache - cache

It also serves the function of making the family walk the egress route and find the cache sites - a forced (and fun) rehersal for all.
Good post Sixgun. The mob used to cache(Read bury) bodies until development caused them, the remains, to be re-cached. Shits getting harder and harder to hide lol
Old 8 October 2012, 21:20
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49 View Post

Can't you get protein poisoning. Thought I learned that a long time ago. Think I was on the topic of living off of rabbits with a survival guru and he mentioned the lack of fat being an issue.
Wikipedia to the rescue... Fat is delicious and good for you. Fat people, not so much...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Be safe,

DR
Old 9 October 2012, 04:21
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311 View Post
OS, got a link to the list?
No link to that particular list as it was an old xeroxed list someone gave me. It's at home in Oz and I am back in Africa.

I have my own go bag/s for the family but have been researching for a pet project I have and I am flabbergasted when I read through some of the shite spouted. The go bag I had beside me in a B6 F250 was packed vastly differently to the go bag I have at home for emergency relocation into the Adelaide Hills in case of Zombie Hordes or Tsunamis (which ever comes first) and so it should be.

Obviously the further you trek to get to your destination, the heavier your load. Now I did my time as a Grunt in (not-so) Light Infantry and when I look at a list I mentally do a rough tally of weight. All I can say is some of the folk who write these lists as "experts" must not have much experience actually humping that weight.

Most pundits will advise that each list should be flexible and reviewed routinely, and the kit practiced with blah blah blah but damn there is some cranks out there and I really just came here to "spleen vent" as it were.

Cheers,

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 9 October 2012, 20:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Starlight View Post
No link to that particular list as it was an old xeroxed list someone gave me. It's at home in Oz and I am back in Africa.

I have my own go bag/s for the family but have been researching for a pet project I have and I am flabbergasted when I read through some of the shite spouted. The go bag I had beside me in a B6 F250 was packed vastly differently to the go bag I have at home for emergency relocation into the Adelaide Hills in case of Zombie Hordes or Tsunamis (which ever comes first) and so it should be.

Obviously the further you trek to get to your destination, the heavier your load. Now I did my time as a Grunt in (not-so) Light Infantry and when I look at a list I mentally do a rough tally of weight. All I can say is some of the folk who write these lists as "experts" must not have much experience actually humping that weight.

Most pundits will advise that each list should be flexible and reviewed routinely, and the kit practiced with blah blah blah but damn there is some cranks out there and I really just came here to "spleen vent" as it were.

Cheers,
I love your common sense to this! I agree with your sentiment that most "experts" will be carrying too much, and too much cheap shit.

This brings up another pet peeve I have. Seeing all the pictures of the so called bug out bags with the cheapest "survival" gear you can get just kills me. I am old fashioned with this. You get what you pay for. A $10 tent is a piece of shit no matter how you slice it. If you are on a budget, fine, make sure you budget for quality gear. Your life may depend on it. It just pisses me off to see such cheap shit in peoples bags.

Our new posting rules