Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 17 June 2017, 08:49
BTDT

Saw it mentioned on here, did some reading and had to shoot one having never shot a comp-ed gun. So, I just finished, haven't shot, a "Roland Especial" for $1400 and change, complete. That included $75 for a stripped frame, had to transfer it as it is the "gun." Got a Glock factory slide, milled, and RMR05G dual illum from Suarez, $900, KKM barrel/comp, $285, Agency Arms magwell for $99, and got the rest of the small parts I didn't already have through Brownells because they give a dealer discount to military. Already had the light as well. Do not like stippling, so wont be doing any of that. Will hit the range with it Monday. I already like it much more than the SIG P320 RX.
[IMG][/IMG]

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 17 June 2017, 09:04
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Sounds entirely plausible, however, also not necessarily indicative of an issue.

Many of the "high end" shops are performing metal work on factory slides which weakens the parts, or making their own in-house slides with a lot more "finishing" machine work than a stock slide. Not an issue for the casual shooter, or for a carry weapon that doesn't put a lot of rounds into the berm, but not good for rough handling or high round counts.

I'm a gun geek. I have "project" Glocks and carry Glocks. I don't put a lot of rounds through the project guns.
I concur on the milling weakening the slide and such. I would be curious if the SMU story is true how high of a round count etc. I find that stuff interesting. And I like to "push" my guns at the range.
Old 17 June 2017, 18:53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotor Strike please View Post
As I already owned the G26, the work done by Zev ran me around $550. KKM barrel was $250.

It wasn't inexpensive by any reasonable standard, but I'm still super happy with the results.
Sweet. Would love to see some pics of their work.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 18 June 2017, 14:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Sweet. Would love to see some pics of their work.
Sadly, my pistol sits in my father's safe in Colorado. I still sit in Egypt. I will be back in December.

I can, however, put you in touch with my guy at Zev should you be interested in doing something sooner. Round up enough interested folks and they'd probably do you a SOCNET Glockenspiel.

PM me if you want his contacts.
Old 26 June 2017, 17:10
Been There Done That

Just checked out a dealer/distributor exclusive....Glock 19 Gen. 4...in Tactical Dark Bronze. Pretty sweet looking! So tempting. And the place that is selling them locally, is having a promotion....free use of indoor range for a month with purchase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 26 June 2017, 17:41
Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Just checked out a dealer/distributor exclusive....Glock 19 Gen. 4...in Tactical Dark Bronze. Pretty sweet looking! So tempting. And the place that is selling them locally, is having a promotion....free use of indoor range for a month with purchase.
That's a great promo.
It wouldn't be tough shooting as much as possible there to take advantage of it... but - not spending any further funds on all the other retail would be challenging. Especially if he keeps rolling the promo over to more Range Time with future purchases. I'm fortunate to work full-time on a very large outdoor range facility, but to Shooters that aren't as fortunate Free Range Time Promo is a great incentive. Not to mention - most Shooters don't practice or train a fraction of the time they should be just to maintain BASIC proficiency. Kudos to that Dealer/Distributor - I hope they do well.
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Old 18 July 2017, 09:20
Bitter old man.

Can anyone explain why a Glock slide would cost almost $700?
I was at Aero precision and they sell Glock slides now. For that kind of money I can build a AR pistol off their site. Besides the RMR cut I can't see it doing anything different from a stock slide.

Hope they include a reach around for that kind of money.
Old 18 July 2017, 09:34
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Can anyone explain why a Glock slide would cost almost $700?
1) It's not a Glock slide. It is a slide that is compatible with Glock frames.
2) Because lots of people will pay that much for a slide that is compatible with Glock frames.
Old 18 July 2017, 18:05
Bitter old man.

Quote:
1) It's not a Glock slide. It is a slide that is compatible with Glock frames.
2) Because lots of people will pay that much for a slide that is compatible with Glock frames.
Bad term use on my part.
I just can't see the cost justification? To me that is a lot of money to put into a $500 weapon.

TFG is right,I'm just getting old and bitter.
Old 18 July 2017, 23:08
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Bad term use on my part.
I just can't see the cost justification? To me that is a lot of money to put into a $500 weapon.

TFG is right,I'm just getting old and bitter.
If you take an OEM slide and spend $$$ to put a whole bunch of mods on it, you are putting money in that you can't expect to get back in a resale. If you swap out the OEM slide for a GGP slide, it is no longer a $500 weapon. You can get the extra $$$ back in a resale.
Old 27 July 2017, 23:12
Unemployed Stunt Double

My latest Glock.

Gen3 G20 with grip mods by D'Amato's Custom Stippling (Sierra Vista, AZ, highly recommend him...good prices, fast turnaround, this is my 4th frame he has done, just great work!).

Frame Cerakote and chamfer package, which bevels the top edges (sides and front), work by Primary Machine (Morgan City, LA). Another great outfit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g20.jpg (26.3 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg g20a.jpg (67.5 KB, 125 views)
Old 28 July 2017, 09:18
Bitter old man.

^^^ Very nice weapon.
Old 28 July 2017, 11:02
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
^^^ Very nice weapon.
Best part is that my total $$$ into that G20, including the cost of the pistol itself, is $650.
Old 28 July 2017, 11:26
The Sagacious One

I want to do a grip reduction on my G 20SF. I have done lots of stippling and know the process, its just getting the time to do it. That G 20SF is one of the most under appreciated pistols. 15 rds (x3) of 10mm, 180 grn HP at 1200 fps is no joke.
Old 28 July 2017, 11:50
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I want to do a grip reduction on my G 20SF. I have done lots of stippling and know the process, its just getting the time to do it. That G 20SF is one of the most under appreciated pistols. 15 rds (x3) of 10mm, 180 grn HP at 1200 fps is no joke.
Please post pics of that when done....I have been thinking of moving up to exactly this model/configuration from the 17/19 part of the family.

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."
Old 28 July 2017, 13:03
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
My latest Glock.

Gen3 G20 with grip mods by D'Amato's Custom Stippling (Sierra Vista, AZ, highly recommend him...good prices, fast turnaround, this is my 4th frame he has done, just great work!).

Frame Cerakote and chamfer package, which bevels the top edges (sides and front), work by Primary Machine (Morgan City, LA). Another great outfit.
Very nice indeed. I need to have that done.

Old 28 July 2017, 20:12
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Quote:
If you take an OEM slide and spend $$$ to put a whole bunch of mods on it, you are putting money in that you can't expect to get back in a resale. If you swap out the OEM slide for a GGP slide, it is no longer a $500 weapon. You can get the extra $$$ back in a resale.
Case in point for this topic. I picked this stock G17 Gen3 frame up on sale at The Glockstore. I sent it off to Core Bore Customs for reduction and stippling. The slide is a PWS slide (not a Glock OEM that PWS mod'd, but a slide PWS made themselves, no longer in production as far as I know).

I am into this for probably 750-800ish (I assembled it using a lot of new old stock parts I had in the 'smithin' room). Right now all parts are "unfired." I could probably sell it for $1200ish...cuz it is not a Glock.

So...to each his own...I just like futzin' with Tupperware...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g17pwsv2.jpg (44.5 KB, 80 views)
Old 28 July 2017, 20:17
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Case in point for this topic. I picked this stock G17 Gen3 frame up on sale at The Glockstore. I sent it off to Core Bore Customs for reduction and stippling. The slide is a PWS slide (not a Glock OEM that PWS mod'd, but a slide PWS made themselves, no longer in production as far as I know).

I am into this for probably 750-800ish (I assembled it using a lot of new old stock parts I had in the 'smithin' room). Right now all parts are "unfired." I could probably sell it for $1200ish...cuz it is not a Glock.

So...to each his own...I just like futzin' with Tupperware...
Point taken on the resale.

The cheap New Englander comes out in me sometimes.
Old 28 July 2017, 22:19
Been There Done That

^and your Glock does not look like every Gangbanger or Cop's Glock.

Old 29 July 2017, 00:48
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
^and your Glock does not look like every Gangbanger or Cop's Glock.
That's what I like about Glocks, easy to work on, and not super-expensive if you mess one up...I think I have seven Glocks right now, and only my two Gen4 9mms (17 and 19) don't have stippling/reduction/mods on the frame. I like the Gen4 frames without a backstrap, they have a slim profile and good texture.

Our new posting rules