SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 29 July 2017, 06:33
Been There Done That

^It seems I always get into many other handguns, but end up always going back to Glocks. As you say, easy to work on, reliable. What was an eye opener recently to me, is that I shooting just as well, getting as tight of groups (between 7 - 20 meters) with my new Glock 21 Gen 4, as I am with my Les Baer 1911. Much more accurate with my 21 than I am with my 17 Gen 3, that is for sure. A new Gen 4 Glock 19, 30, 20 are on my short list.

Same here, tried the Gen 4, with the backstrap (with the beaver tail), but went back to no backstrap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 29 July 2017, 10:10
Unemployed Stunt Double

I haven't shot my 1911s in years. I took my favorite one on my weekly range trip last week. It's a Series 80 Colt frame and slide with every other part being Wilson Combat, and I've had it tuned by Wilson three times over the years (I've had it for over 20 years).

Well...I still can't get back into 1911s. The grip safety annoys me. Sticking with Glocks and Sigs for the time being...I'll never sell/trade my 1911s, and will pass them to my son when the time is right. I used to be a "if it ain't a 1911 it ain't worth shit" guy.
Old 29 July 2017, 11:10
Been There Done That

^Yep. There have been several times, under stress, that I have failed to engage the grip safety. Pull the trigger and nothing, then have to slightly readjust my grip. Happens very rarely, but enough to realize it is a concern.

I have taken several through courses with their 1911s, that swear that would never happen to them. Well, put a little stress on them, have them shooting one handed, and how some love to ride the thumb safety, and sure enough, it happens. Why I guess some of the "Old school" LE. Texas Rangers use to always take a piece of rawhide and strap down the grip safety. I have found though that going back to the traditional thumb safety and not riding the safety, or swapping out for a Harrison Designs thumb safety seems to help eliminate this.

It would be hard for me to sell my Les Baer. I have two of them, will sell one, but will keep one for sure. But, if I am going into known harm's way, I am grabbing the Glock 21 instead of the 1911, if wanting a .45 acp.

Old 31 July 2017, 07:19
Been There Done That

Anyone use this company's services?

http://overwatchprecision.com

Old 31 July 2017, 07:51
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Anyone use this company's services?

http://overwatchprecision.com
I've never sent anything to them for work, but I've got some parts from them (triggers, etc). Quality stuff.
Old 31 July 2017, 20:09
Bitter old man.

Quote:

It would be hard for me to sell my Les Baer. I have two of them, will sell one, but will keep one for sure. But, if I am going into known harm's way, I am grabbing the Glock 21 instead of the 1911, if wanting a .45 acp.

Glock over 1911? Blasphemy.
Old 31 July 2017, 23:42
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

So, if I'm going shopping for a G20, SF or 4th Gen? I'm going to have the frame worked on anyway, does it matter?

I like Glocks with flat back straps so they point right....even flatter than most do as a standard for that modification.

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."
Old 31 July 2017, 23:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
So, if I'm going shopping for a G20, SF or 4th Gen? I'm going to have the frame worked on anyway, does it matter?

I like Glocks with flat back straps so they point right....even flatter than most do as a standard for that modification.
It is not just the ability to change out the backstraps, or the larger magazine release. There are some other difference between Gen 3 and 4. Gen 4s have the dual recoil spring. Some say they cannot tell the difference, some say it is a big improvement. I can tell a difference - how much of that is real, and how much is just perceived? Who knows. But, I can tell you I had a 21 SF now have a 21 Gen 4. To me it seems their is less recoil, less muzzle flip, and I am much more accurate.

There is also a bit of a difference between the triggers, as the connector is a bit different angle on the Gen 4s. Some say the Gen 3 is better, some say the Gen 4 is better, some say cannot tell the difference.

Old 1 August 2017, 00:15
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post

If you're gonna shoot full house 10mm loads, then you'll want an aftermarket recoil spring anyway, so the dual spring thing isn't really an issue.

IMO, in the end, it depends on the grip and how it fits you.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —
Old 1 August 2017, 09:31
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
If you're gonna shoot full house 10mm loads, then you'll want an aftermarket recoil spring anyway, so the dual spring thing isn't really an issue.
And maybe a KKM or other aftermarket barrel. I found 20lb RSA to be the sweet spot for most loads.
Old 1 August 2017, 15:04
The Sagacious One

I shoot a 22# Stainless RSA from brassstacker. Runs like a champ. My Kimber and G 40 both run the factory RSA.
Old 16 August 2017, 09:33
Been There Done That

Looks like Wilson Combat is getting into the game, got an email from them yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wilson CB.jpg (164.4 KB, 114 views)

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 16 August 2017, 09:49
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Looks like Wilson Combat is getting into the game, got an email from them yesterday.
Prices didn't seem to bad.
Old 16 August 2017, 10:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Prices didn't seem to bad.
No, not bad at all.

One nut in the ground!

Old 16 August 2017, 11:43
Been There Done That

I'm in a wilson combat Facebook group and there are people losing their minds over this. One person even said he was going to boycott WC. I really don't get it.
Old 16 August 2017, 11:54
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
I'm in a wilson combat Facebook group and there are people losing their minds over this. One person even said he was going to boycott WC. I really don't get it.
Neither do I, you have to evolve with the market. Just can't depend on 1911s and such.
I like the one in the pic Joker posted except for the color.
Old 16 August 2017, 12:59
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Neither do I, you have to evolve with the market. Just can't depend on 1911s and such.
I like the one in the pic Joker posted except for the color.
Yep. They've been doing more than 1911s for years now. I asked one of the guys why this was so much different than them working on berettas and he said it's because of the polymer frame.

I wouldn't mind sending one of my guns in to them, I just don't know if it's worth spending the money. I just want the stippling really. I've never felt like I need a better barrel or trigger.
Old 16 August 2017, 13:56
Unemployed Stunt Double

I haven't priced out the Glocks on the WC website to figure out if it's a good deal or not, but the prices seem fair for the mod'd complete pistols.

If you take the price for a stock Glock, then do the math for replacement parts, machining, stippling, and send/receive shipping, WC prices are pretty good.
Old 16 August 2017, 14:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Finally a Wilson that will not jam up on you.

Old 16 August 2017, 15:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Finally a Wilson that will not jam up on you.

BAHAHAHAHA...ok thats some funny shit right there.

One nut in the ground!

Our new posting rules