SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 4 March 2018, 13:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Matter of fact, I went to a Class 7. Was supposed to be a summer class. It was sleeting at Ft. Benning when we roadmarched 17 miles from Camp Darby to the water confidence training at Victory Pond.

Move up to the Mountains....late snow storm put down 4" of snow.

The RI's were very considerate though. They let us pack a field jacket liner.
Class 7, you get fed like a summer class, but the weather doesn't cooperate... at least there were berry bushes...
Old 4 March 2018, 18:19
0311/8651

Question about Ranger school. If a student is airborne does he jump in or do all the students now, non- airborne, are trucked in or hump to their destinations?
Thanks
Old 4 March 2018, 19:41
Been There Done That

it's been a few years, but Airborne qualified students jump, and legs are trucked to the DZ assembly area generally. We jumped after RAP week, then road marched out to Camp Darby for Darby phase at Benning.

We didn't jump into desert phase because AF birds were tied up so we flew charter both ways.

We weren't jumping at all in Mountains during my time frame (postage stamp DZ and I don't think any were certified at the time), and a couple air movements got canceled due to aircraft availability.

we bussed from mountains to the swamps. one jump to start the field portion of Florida.

aircraft availability and weather are the predominate factors in whether a jump goes or not. they always have contingencies for a no jump, and it tends to not skew the timelines.

the upside to jumping is you get 6-8 hrs of sleep pre-jump (don't remember specifically without looking it up, and finding my timeframe's reg, per regulation. the legs end up doing a bunch of grunt work of loading/moving baggage and chutes for the riggers, etc... and getting a regular schedule of sleep the night prior.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 4 March 2018, 21:47
Been There Done That

I made 4 jumps in Ranger school. One in Benning, helo jump in mountains, one in desert, and one in Florida.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 16 March 2018, 12:42
Cloud bursting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
Day 1 - Raining...
A little rain never hurts.

Update: Currently on Darby pass, re-fit for Mountians.
Old 16 March 2018, 13:13
Old Scroll

So.... you didn't get peered at Darby?

Excellent.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 16 March 2018, 13:39
Cloud bursting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
So.... you didn't get peered at Darby?

Excellent.
No, however my peers were not where they need to be.

Hard lessons learned but I know what I need to improve on moving forward.
Old 16 March 2018, 13:47
Been There Done That

How the heck you find time to get on SOCNET? Our Darby 8 hour pass consist of dropping of laundry at some place, go to Pizza Hut and pick up shortages at TNT. The next thing we knew, it was time to get a cab and head back to RTB. Good on you, keep it up. Enjoy Mr. Padgett's pancakes in mountains.
Old 16 March 2018, 16:07
Been There Done That

Pysop Shaw - congrats so far. If your peers aren't where you want them...you can get them in a little better shape in the Mountains, maybe.

Volunteer to carry the pig. Folks start wearing down in the Mountains. Help/volunteer in planning, writing parts of an oporder, dig the shit trench, whatever it takes. You can rack up a lot of spot reports in the Mountains especially during Mountaineering, both good and bad.

Story here: Had a RI worked Mountaineering. There was a dog that ran around the lower mountaineering area. The dog had a saddlebag with Scooby snacks on one side and spot reports on the other. Need to give a major minus, whistle for the dog.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 16 March 2018, 16:36
Been There Done That

I would have killed for some dog treats to eat in Ranger school!

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 16 March 2018, 18:39
Been There Done That

Dog treats? Heck, there were times I was so hungry I'd have probably ate a dog turd! Well, a small dog's turd, not some GSD's human sized turd...
Old 16 March 2018, 21:04
Been There Done That

my buddy from my Company was clearing school as I was in RAP week. headed to a portapotty we made eye contact and I watched as he cached some lickies and chewies for me. couldn't get to them safely till the next day. fire ants all in a bunch of mini-snickers. 24 years later we still laugh about it.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Last edited by KW Driver; 16 March 2018 at 21:23.
Old 16 March 2018, 21:34
Been There Done That

The only time I ever went dumpster diving for food was in the Mountains.

It was a perfectly planned op. Surveillance on the objective, left & right flank security. Precious cargo secured.

Old 16 March 2018, 22:56
Old Scroll

Re-posting this from a thread posted a few years ago:

When we went to Florida during Class 9-80, I had the winning solution to the "on the airfield strip search" that took place on the way to the woods for the 12-day patrol. My soap dish contained a bar of Ivory soap, slightly used. But that soap was actually a pound of white chocolate, purchased two months prior at a Ferrall's Nut House in the Tacoma Mall. A couple of nights of whittling, and a super-thin coating of white wax for odor control, and it passed inspection with ease.

I almost got slaughtered by my Ranger Buddy, LT Terry Driskill from 1st BN, for not fessing up and sharing before day seven or eight, when I finally whipped it out. We shared, but were terrified of being caught due to the overwhelming smell of chocolate once we bit into it, as the temps were well into the 90's.

Passed all patrols and all academics both times around, got peered in Darby by the West Pointers in the squad 1st time around. Hell, I "Tabbed Out" on day one of the 12-day patrol, which was nice, but later sortta sucked as I wound up catching minor position graded patrols later on, but passed all.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 16 March 2018, 23:15
Six Minutes!

^^^ And I thought I was smart fitting a long Slim Jim into the waist strap seam in the back of my flight suit during SERE. (they've seen that one before BTW)

That's genius.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —
Old 17 March 2018, 00:01
Another pool cleaner

If you ain't trying, you is lying.

I saved some geedunk and passed it to my Lt who came down with me.
Old 17 March 2018, 05:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I would have killed for some dog treats to eat in Ranger school!
I bet some Sweet Baby Ray's could do wonders with those.

Old 17 March 2018, 08:37
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
I bet some Sweet Baby Ray's could do wonders with those.
Lots and lots of Tabasco sauce. If it doesn't make it taste better, it will at the very least scorch your tastebuds so bad that you can't taste it....
Old 17 March 2018, 09:21
BTDT

I got picked for the gum/tobacco re-supply for the squad in mtns. No chaperone and I ended up being the only one left in the PX. You know those little red hand carry baskets the PX had? That thing was loaded to the brim with cakes, cookies, and candy - went out back behind the dumpster and stuffed it all down the bloused jungle fatigue legs. Looked like the Michelin man and sounded like, well... what crinkled plastic sounds like, when I walked. Made it all the way back to the huts (we were in the chapel hut) and jammed it in a laundry bag. Later that night the whole squad went to a little island in the middle of that stream that ran behind the huts and ate like fools - I always had excellent peers

Looking back, it was the epitome of stupid (DX'd to the 197th?), but 19 year old's are pretty f'n stupid. Sometimes its not how good you are, its how lucky. Or as Chief 'Patches' Watson said - "Doing something wrong, and doing something wrong and getting caught - are two ENTIRELY different things".

RLTW!
Old 17 March 2018, 15:18
Been There Done That

That little stream is the Etowah river. And it's full of trout.

Our new posting rules