Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 24 April 2018, 11:08
Been There Done That

UPDATE: My UEV 490 will be done by next week. PM me your locations and availability and we can work on a meet up.
Old 24 April 2018, 12:40
33,024 - R.I.P.

Let me know if you get to KS. I'd be very interested in seeing it. What upgrades did you have done?
Old 24 April 2018, 14:34
Been There Done That

Will do. We are having an AC unit / electric heater, a new (we have the first generation 2016 model) tank-less water heater and a rail to move the dinette table outside installed. The last two are standard on the 2nd gen units and they have a slightly better layout with a couple of new features.
Old 24 April 2018, 15:09
Another pool cleaner

Would love to hear your impressions.
Old 24 April 2018, 15:36
Confirmed User

There are these particular campers made in WA called Alaskan (no idea on the name), but I came across one for sale the other day that was built on a 2002 F550 (58k miles). 200 gallon fuel tank, 150 gallon water solar etc for $65k which is way out of my price range for a RV but for someone wanting an Earthroamer it looked like a decent way to get something similar for 1/5th of the cost if you lived near Bend OR.

Like E5M said having a non emissions diesel like the 7.3 or 5.9 makes a huge difference. And really the later 5.9 common rails are injector issue prone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Earthroamer.jpg (30.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 24 April 2018, 16:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
Would love to hear your impressions.
I have and use a 2012 19ft Airstream bambi. It's awesome but I am constantly replacing screws and it takes bumps very hard.

The UEV 490 is a beast that will go anywhere. It has an overbuilt trailing arm independent suspension. The two beds are huge. The fold out sleeps 2 adults on an angle and the other bed can sleep 3 with no problem.

The pullout kitchen/pantry/freezer/fridge combo is awesome and there is a ton of internal and external storage.

The whole unit can run on DC power (240w of solar does the trick for extended duration) except for the AC unit which needs a 2000w generator.

If you want more room then you pull out the wrap around awnings that you can park an ATV in. There is a full size picnic table that works as a bulk head and the internal dinette table can be attached outside on the kitchen side of the unit. The other side houses the shower.

There is nothing else like it on the market in the U.S. and there are only 40 units here so far.

It has a 34 gallon water tank and two ~5 gallon jerry cans that can be swapped for more water storage mounted aft.

The propane heater works well but doesn't have adequate ducting to heat the foldout bed on it's own on a cold Midwest winter day. That being said the ducting for the AC / Heater unit fixes this problem for winter camping but you have to run a generator.

Overall it's a fun unit that you can safely take into the back country for an extended stay without having to sacrifice on creature comforts. It's not a 30ft + campground unit and doesn't have that kind of appeal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo1.jpg (232.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Photo2.jpg (248.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Photo3.jpg (189.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Photo4.jpg (229.6 KB, 52 views)
Old 24 April 2018, 17:45
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
UEV 490
That's way cool.

Years ago we found out the hard way that in Alaska If you have an RV of a certain size, it basically guarantees that you'll be camping next to 50 other RVs, so we ditched ours and I bought a Mitsubishi Delica as a camper project.

It's similar in size to a VW bus but was a hell of a lot cheaper and so far has been bulletproof mechanically. It's also a turbo diesel, and 4WD. I installed an aftermarket roof rack, and it has a Rhino Rack pull out tarp with an 4 wall + floor tent on the side which basically doubles the useful area and gives you an indoor kitchen.

It easily pulls a trailer with two quads or my boat, but won't set any land speed records. My dogs love it, if they jump in for any reason, I can't get them out unless we take a drive first

A buddy of ours has a Sprinter set up pretty similar, minus the tent, ours is the redneck version of his.
Old 24 April 2018, 19:10
Confirmed User

That thing is pretty awesome! Now to reverse engineer my work trailer...
Old 24 April 2018, 19:30
Another pool cleaner

Thanks Shark0311!

Our new posting rules