Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 14 February 2018, 09:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
To big and gas would probably not make it worth it. Some people in those vans will just drive up a dirt road and pull over to sleep or hangout for a few days. I wouldn’t go any bigger than a Sprinter. Surfboard, bike, dog, and call it good.
Some of those Sprinter conversions are decked out. The sky is really the limit. I ran into a guy with a diesel version that had over 300k on the motor.

On another note, it was 11 degrees where I'm working when I woke up yesterday. It got a little chilly when the fire burned down but it was about time to wake up anyway. I can already tell insulation will be a must, not just for trapping/keeping out heat but for sound deadening. It's snowing right now and it's amazingly loud in here.
Old 14 February 2018, 09:27
Been There Done That

It’s a good time, but not as 24/7 fun as the Instagram models may have you believe. Having a partner along can really help.

I did 6 months in my Westy after I retired. I do shorter trips in it now.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 14 February 2018, 09:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Convert an old bus!
Those heater/AC deals require running a generator all the time or shore power. With just LED lights and a 12v plug I haven't had to charge the batteries yet. When I hook my panel to it the limiting factor will be propane for the fridge and range. Also the biggest reason for the stove is drying out all my gear. Propane heaters just don't work and create a lot of condensation. Otherwise one of those catalytic heaters would be easier.

This guy made a pretty slick bus conversion. If you found one of those Inernationals with a dt44 motor you would really have something. But they are big and limit where you can go. https://www.google.com/amp/www.wideo...ing-cabin/amp/
Old 14 February 2018, 10:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
To big and gas would probably not make it worth it. Some people in those vans will just drive up a dirt road and pull over to sleep or hangout for a few days. I wouldn’t go any bigger than a Sprinter. Surfboard, bike, dog, and call it good.
I was in Boulder, CO last weekend and saw Sprinter vans like that all over the place.

If only I could talk my wife into it, I'd be down for #vanlife for a year or two. It looks like a great way to see new places at a reasonable cost.
Old 17 March 2018, 12:56
Confirmed User

Got about a months worth of time in it now. Will definitely be insulating it just to keep the heat even and more lasting. Would change a few things about the kitchen but otherwise pretty happy with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.8 KB, 118 views)
Old 26 March 2018, 09:08
The Sagacious One

Wowzers, how did the interior finish out? Or do you have B 2/75 posters hanging on the wall?

Old 26 March 2018, 10:00
Confirmed User

Still just plywood. If I get ambitious when I insulate it I might finish it with T&G pine but not sure it's necessary for what I use it for. I am going to build a Murphy bed for it with some drawers under it to help organize things.

Also going to redo the wiring in it and add a BlueSea fuse block I ordered so I can add some extra usb charging ports. Originally I was reluctant to cut a hole in the roof but after spending this much time in it I want to add a RV roof vent with a fan. Today will be the 22nd day straight and it smells like a cross between a homeless camp and Denny's right now. I just have one of those rocket pump faucets right now but am going to add a 12v pump I have and add one of those on demand ecotemp propane water heaters for an external shower.

I've spent lots of time working out of campers in the woods and this thing beats a factory rv hands down. Even being smaller in size the interior feels a lot bigger.
Old 26 March 2018, 10:43
Been There Done That

That is awesome!
Old 26 March 2018, 11:03
Old Scroll

Manual leveling jacks on the corners? Might come in handy sometime...

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 26 March 2018, 12:56
Confirmed User

Nice rig. Suspicious but nice...but suspicious.
Old 26 March 2018, 13:04
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
homeless camp and Denny's right now
Ah, bacon grease and socks. Add the smell of the old army green pickle suit wet weather gear and it would be perfect.
Old 26 March 2018, 13:10
Been There Done That

Whatcha cooking in there? Hope it's legal!

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 26 March 2018, 14:06
Confirmed User

It has manual jacks on the back probably add some to the front too. Interestingly enough I was parked in a state gravel pit for a couple weeks till they DOT guys said we needed to leave. We said sure no problem went to go find another spot and when we got back in half an hour there were two State Troopers waiting. After exchanging info and probably getting ran for warrants one was complementing us on our trailers! They wre really nice and just said we needed to go somewhere else.

Still undecided on a window. It would be nice, but it's nice not to have one at the same time.
Old 26 March 2018, 14:25
Old Scroll

Skylight? More stealthy, but more prone to leaking, too.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 26 March 2018, 15:06
Six Minutes!

I'd take a look at the door lock as well... someone could lock you in.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —
Old 26 March 2018, 18:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
I'd take a look at the door lock as well... someone could lock you in.
I put my lock through the hasp so you can't close the cam bar when I'm in it. Then just use a barrel lock on the inside to keep it closed. I would probably have ordered an rv style door lock if I had had the thing built. Was going to do it my self but I was going to have to do quite a bit of metal work so just decided to rig it up.

B2/75, the skylight is my plan I think. They make those covers that are translucent enough to let light in and still have the vent open when it's raining.
Old 27 March 2018, 12:22
Been There Done That

Why not mount something like a storm door inside of the regular door? You would have to build a frame but then you could preserve the normal outside look and security but gain the ability to have a clear door with a screen when you wanted some ventilation or additional natural light.
Old 27 March 2018, 19:28
Confirmed User

My plan in the summer was to use that magnetic screen stuff that fastens in the center but making a frame for a real screen door might be a better idea. I'll have to look into that.

Our new posting rules