Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 6 February 2004, 14:48
Authorized Personnel

Royal, check your PM's mate.
Old 6 February 2004, 19:46
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally posted by Royal
The simple answer from our side of the pond is don't - at least not on PSO/IS Ops. If you're wearing sunglasses you cannot keep and maintain eye contact with the CivPop.

On the other hand for driving/snow you need something. Personally I've used Oakleys for years. As abc123 said - adapt to the situation.
Good point on maintaining eye contact. I read that somewhere else as well. Today, I picked up a pair of flat black Oakley 20's with the polarized lens. The least reflective (shiney) lens of all the Oakleys I saw. Moderately dark lens. Less so than the colored or polished lenses. Similar in look to a plain grey lens. Great contrast on a grey day. We'll see how they work in the bright sun if it ever comes back out. I don't think I've seen the sun here in a few weeks.
Old 9 March 2004, 19:57
Confirmed User

pending on how bright and on how dense the woods is i either wear the brown oakley lense or wear the clear ones.... i wear them for eye protection more than sun light reasons and wear the clear lens at night as well to keep sticks out of my eyes.. it helps for faster movement at night and when it's cold it's a good to keep the wind out of the eyes too....
Old 1 September 2004, 14:25
Confirmed User

WileyX

WileyX has released a newer, sunglasses like version of their goggles, and from what ive seen their more comphy and have answered some of the annoyances of the first ones, the box hypes a special forces tab to make them seem more high speed as well, lol, any thoughts on them?

"When fortune smiles on something as ugly and vicious as revenge, it's not only proof that God exists, your doing his will"
-The Bride

"Enter arma, eniem silent legas"
-Cicero

"The road to hell is paved with the bones and good intentions of 2nd Lieutenant's and the Marines who followed them"
-Anonymous
Old 2 September 2004, 00:01
Authorized Personnel

I have a pair, do a better job of keeping dust out of my eyes than my Oakleys. Not bad, nothing special though.
Old 7 September 2004, 09:11
2Sharp
Visitor

Which Oaklyes are you comparing them to?
I'm looking to buy a good pair of goggles for eye protection, WileyX and Oakley are on my list... i'm used Oakley's sunglassaes a lot and i really like them.

I've heard that WileyX tends to distort your view somewhat, which none of my Oakleys have ever done, and that is important to me.

Have you experienced any distortion with your WileyX??

Any input is greatly appreciated :)

Quote:
Originally posted by LRS Guy
I have a pair, do a better job of keeping dust out of my eyes than my Oakleys. Not bad, nothing special though.
Old 7 September 2004, 09:21
Confirmed User

Are these the same WileyXs that are included in the new Rapid Fielding Initiative package?
Old 7 September 2004, 09:43
EOD Mod

I've been using the WileyX goggles for the past five months. Over 4,000 miles mostly as a turret gunner. I can't complain. When it gets dark I change out the lenses and use them under my NOD's.
Old 8 September 2004, 15:46
I'm Ron Burgundy?

I have a pair and found them to be ok. I used them a few times on LZ operations in Iraq, and they kept the majority of the dust out, but didn't work as well as full goggles did. They also had the tendency to fog up easily on me. A friend of mine also experienced this.
Old 8 September 2004, 15:58
USMC Sniper, HOG

Ditto on what pitbull said. Same issues in Iraq.

(Insert your name), what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

USMC. We put the FUN in Fundamental Extremist! :cool:
Old 10 September 2004, 13:03

Wileys vs Oakleys

I have a pair of the SG-1s issued, and they fog up far too quickly. I use a pair of Oakley M frames with clear and gray lenses, and I have a pair of Fives on standby.

I am able to use the M frames under NODs. The only thing I don't like about the M frames is that I look like I should be wearing a mullet and driving a late '80s IROC .

I've tried to use some anti fog on the Wiley's to no avail.

There is a Gov't/Military discount floating around here for Oakley...
Old 10 September 2004, 14:59
I'm Ron Burgundy?

The M Frames are too big for my face, so I use the half jackets. Oakley makes a set specially for the military that comes in flat black frames with 3 sets of lenses in Smoke, clear, and yellow.
Old 10 September 2004, 16:39

I found the Wiley-X SG-1's to be good to go. Had them on during the big dust storm during the invasion and didn't even have to squint. They did tend to fog up when the heat started climbing but it was nothing fog-x couldn't clear up.
Old 10 September 2004, 17:49
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I like my cheapo $10 glasses bought at the PX in pairs. That way, when my dumb ass sits on them, scratches them, or flat out loses them -- no whining about the money lost.

And when in dusty situations, well, its either on with the full goggles or roll up the window and turn on the AC (one of those civvie perks)....
Old 10 September 2004, 20:26
товарищ

Quote:
Originally posted by Southoftheborder
I like my cheapo $10 glasses bought at the PX in pairs. That way, when my dumb ass sits on them, scratches them, or flat out loses them -- no whining about the money lost.

And when in dusty situations, well, its either on with the full goggles or roll up the window and turn on the AC (one of those civvie perks)....
I think you are the only other person here that shares my philosophy of sunglasses. My latest pairs cost about $18 each, though - I bought the polarized "premium" version .

In the field and in the desert, I wear my prescription glasses - and goggles if necessary. I finally upgraded my old GI "sun, wind, dust" goggles to the ESS vehicle operator model in anticipation of my next desert vacation - I've heard good things about their fog and dust resistance.
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Old 19 November 2004, 23:25

goggles

I've tried the oakley M frame, wiley-X SG-1 with V-cut and CQC, and the ESS profile NVG.
The results M Frame, and wiley-X are very confortable, but ESS are unconfotable if you wear them more than 1 hour.

In case of sandstorm the wiley-x and the ESS are very effective, the M Frame are not very effective, the sand comes from everywhere in your eyes.

And yes, you gonna tell me The SG-1 are quickly fogged up, yes even with the V-cut, it's always fogged up!!.

To sum up, for me the best buy is the Wiley-X CQC, very confortable, very effective against sandstorm, and not so quickly fogged up than the SG-1, and also NVGs compatible.

I hope my experience will help

Semper Paratus!!!
Old 25 November 2004, 04:45
BTDT

SG1's were friggen hot. Thanks for the scoop on the V-Cuts. I suffered the dust with M-Frames.

P
Old 12 November 2007, 16:28

I like these...
Old 12 November 2007, 16:57

Think you're 3yrs too late!
Old 13 February 2008, 18:38
The Gunner

Just a note on the importance of protecting your eyes:

I had a Marine who caught a branch in the eye while night patrolling in Oki; Doc flushed it out and seemed to be alright, when we got back he began having cloudy vision, in the end he spent 4 months getting treated for something they couldn't identify growing inder the surface layer of the eye. He was eventually medevac'd back to Balboa.

I've always worn glassess/goggles for protection in urban, but now I wear them all the time regardless of the terrain.
Oakley half-jackets with quick change lenses, and can take a beating if you sit/step on them. For goggles I use the Oakley A-frames with double pane lenses. They work great.

Our new posting rules