SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 14 February 2008, 01:54
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

I've been trying to find a pair of magnesium M frames that have been out of production for awhile now, and the reps at oakley have run out of distributors to point me towards.

I tried a pair on a few years back and remember how much lighter and durable the owner said they were than regular M frames. They definately had a solid feel to them.
Old 25 September 2008, 12:02

For those interested in the Oakley's. https://secure.usstandardissue.com/
Oakley sales for military (and LEO?). I've got the ballistic m frames 2.0. Nice fit and enjoy having my shooting glasses on me at all times.
Old 12 January 2009, 03:09
athlete in disguise

Any of y'all that need prescription specs tried out the new joint product from nike/bausch &laumb tinted contacts (2 different colors for different tasks)?
Old 13 February 2009, 04:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson6603 View Post
Anyone know about the line of Oakley M frames thats out right now...the SI issue? Anybody own a pair, are they worth $90.00?

I have read that some police dept.s issue them to the SRT teams, anybody in the service using them?

I have read that they are ballistc proven, but then again I have never had a gun come apart in my face. How about comfort for all day wearing?
I have not tried these only a WilyX model that is based on the same principles.
Its much the same and i have yet to find something bad about them. (Well, it don't fit the suit.) The type of frame is excellent. Worth $90.00 if you can pay it.

The ballistic resistance of the spectacles shall be such that they will pass a Vo test using a 0.15 caliber, 5.8 grain, T37 shaped projectile at a velocity of 640 to 660 feet per second. http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/milprf31013.html
Old 18 February 2009, 17:17
Going cyclic!!

I see this thread is a litle old, but I'll weigh in. I love teh Wiley X's. I have the Bullet model(discontinued), they cost $49. I wore them all through FEX's, OIF, the works. I've swam in pools, the ocean with them, and they are still in good shape. I ordered another model(name escapes me now), and they are good too. They are a little tight(it said for small/medium heads, which I missed on the description). Other than that, they rock
Old 19 February 2009, 13:50
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
I like my cheapo $10 glasses bought at the PX in pairs. That way, when my dumb ass sits on them, scratches them, or flat out loses them -- no whining about the money lost.

And when in dusty situations, well, its either on with the full goggles or roll up the window and turn on the AC (one of those civvie perks)....

Look, if you're wearing SUNGLASSES, then go with SOTB's line of thought... unless you're a SEAL and require DG shades to help you look better.

If you're going OUT THE GATE, then you must use armor for your eyes. Think APEL. Spectacles or Goggles, your choice. If you're in a vehicle my .02 kopeks is that you should use goggles. On the ground and not in likely contact go with spectacles, and use the retention strap (snugged up). Getting into contact or kicking doors? Clear goggles.

Back at the team house out back by the pool? Put your cheap 10$ PX specials on. My favs are from the polarized specials found in the WallMart fishing section... you know, where they have fish hooks and reels for sale.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 19 February 2009, 21:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Look, if you're wearing SUNGLASSES, then go with SOTB's line of thought... unless you're a SEAL and require DG shades to help you look better.

If you're going OUT THE GATE, then you must use armor for your eyes. Think APEL. Spectacles or Goggles, your choice. If you're in a vehicle my .02 kopeks is that you should use goggles. On the ground and not in likely contact go with spectacles, and use the retention strap (snugged up). Getting into contact or kicking doors? Clear goggles.

Back at the team house out back by the pool? Put your cheap 10$ PX specials on. My favs are from the polarized specials found in the WallMart fishing section... you know, where they have fish hooks and reels for sale.
x2. In the LEO world, I switched to Revision Bullet Ants. Does not have the Chicks dig it factor, but seemed like a smarter move. Still love the Saw Fly's though.
Old 19 February 2009, 21:55
Confirmed User

Oakley M Frame 2.0 (get the array from standard issue), they have flat temples so you can wear under a headset. I know for a fact they can take a blast.
Old 18 April 2009, 14:21

Oakley C Wires and M Frame 2.0s for the range..
Old 12 June 2009, 14:42
Confirmed User

Revision Sawfly while 10-8. IMO quality peice of gear.
Old 14 June 2009, 22:04
Professional Amateur

M Frame 2.0 (new style with built in retention bungee with VR-28 lenses, clear lenses in a thigh pocket for night.
Old 15 June 2009, 01:21
hippies beware

Liquid Eyeware...from the same designer of "Frogs" jump goggles. Solid, one peice aircraft aluminum frame, ANSI rated, they have polarized lenses, and now they also have transitional lenses (they cant call them "transition" lenses due to copyright issues) that go from almost clear (indoors) to dark (outdoors)...I have the latter and they are worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY of the $140 I spent on them. I have bought three pairs over the past four years, and dont find myself paying for Oakleys again anytime soon...if they are issued, no problem, but my Liquid's are the only thing I see dropping cash for anymore.

OOC, out

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain

"All that we see is perspective, not fact...All that we hear is opinion, not truth."
--Marcus Aurelius

"The time you spent typing and formatting this post would have been better spent hitting yourself in the face with a hammer."
--Jimbo

Wise old man--"That woman was SEXY!"
Young lad--"She's out of my league."
Wise old man--"Look...let women figure out why they wont sleep with you...dont do it for them."
Old 1 July 2009, 00:43

framesdirect.com has an aafes/star card option for RX optics. Wiley X and Oakley among other brands. No sales tax is good, RX glasses are always pricey.
Old 1 July 2009, 04:46
Confirmed User

I am on the usstandardissue bandwagon. My Oakley Desert Gascans are sexy as all get out. I must be doing something right when my 1stSgt. asks me where I got 'em so he can get a pair.
Old 1 July 2009, 05:23
Confirmed User

I'm still waiting for Oakley to make some ballistic tactical aviators.
Old 1 July 2009, 09:16
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copecwby20 View Post
I am on the usstandardissue bandwagon. My Oakley Desert Gascans are sexy as all get out. I must be doing something right when my 1stSgt. asks me where I got 'em so he can get a pair.
Dude, calling your gear sexy, is just wrong on so many levels,
Old 1 July 2009, 09:41
Rocket Surgeon

Native Dash XPs for shades. If I need more ballistic protection: M frames.
Old 7 July 2009, 06:27
Combat Dorito

We were issued a set of ICE glasses from ESS with clear and Dark lenses. They didn't last very long. I still have a pair that I keep in my boat bag with clear lenses for night time. I've been rocking Oakley Half Jackets since last deployment, the only drawback being the ear pices digging into my head when wering comms.

I stopped by GSS just before deployment and picked up a pair of Native Ignition sunnies. These are the heat! comfortable, ventilation holes at the top and they are nicely polarized. As much as I like my Oakleys, Natives find more "face time."
Old 7 July 2009, 12:16
Nurse Ratched

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post

I used to buy Gargoyles and have had probably 10 pair over the years but now I buy the Walmart Renegade fishing glasses. I find a pair that I like and usually get 5 pair. A pair for each boat, car, truck. They are polarized and come in full size and a smaller version that fits my wife.

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 14 July 2009, 18:33

I love the WileyX sg-1 kit... it is pretty much an all purpose type deal with all its different provisions. I took a scope to the face while adjusting my eye relief behind my .50 and they absorbed the entire blow leaving me chuckling stupidly... These can pull double duty as daily glasses or duty/field goggles.

I also savvy the Revision Sawfly kit and Use the Desert locust as an "over goggle" when shooting larger calibers...

The bullet ants are next on my hit list to test drive.

I have actually secured the wiley x and revision glasses brand new for under 40.00 with a little internet trolling... to me, that beats cheapie body glove glasses any day with the addition of ballistic protection...

Our new posting rules