Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 30 January 2001, 11:02
bubba
Visitor

Sounds purdy, any pics or reference sites?
Old 30 July 2001, 17:02
Confirmed User

Reinforced jungle boots?

Has anyone tried to reinforce the ankle area on jungle boots? I was thinking that some two inch scuba webbing sewn to the outside should work.
Old 7 August 2001, 01:07
bubba
Visitor

Man, you can't improve on perfection!!!
Old 10 August 2001, 21:48
Confirmed User

Perfection? Are you kidding? Every set that I had I had to remove the steel plates(cutting the crap out of my hands), smash the toe-box and resole them, then find an old running shoe insole that would fit inside!
I know, the black ones are soooo much better!
Old 10 August 2001, 22:20
USMCSNIPERONE
Visitor

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich H:
Perfection? Are you kidding? Every set that I had I had to remove the steel plates(cutting the crap out of my hands), smash the toe-box and resole them, then find an old running shoe insole that would fit inside!
I know, the black ones are soooo much better!
Damn! Sounds like you should have your hooves
checked instead!
Old 22 October 2001, 11:58
jag...justagrunt
Visitor

These boot's where made for walking and ?????

These Boots Are Made for Power
Posted Saturday, October 20

SRI International, a research firm in Menlo Park, Calif., is working with the Defense Department to create a shoe that will convert the mechanical energy of walking into electric power to charge up gadgets, batteries and other devices.

At the heart, or rather sole, of the experimental foot-ware is a heel made of a special elastic polymer. A tiny battery positively charges one side of the flexible material and the other negatively. As the material is compressed and released such as by the foot pressure generated during walking the distance between the positive and negative sides change, which in turn creates electricity.

According to Ron Pelgrine, the director for SRI International's Advanced Transducers Program, the prototype boot generates about half a watt of power more than enough energy to recharge the boot's built-in battery and a cell phone. But Pelgrine hopes that by the end of January the boot's output could be raised to nearly two watts which is enough juice to power several small electronic devices a cell phone, a handheld computer, and a radio simultaneously.

And that kind of potential could be reached since the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, has funded about $2.6 million to SRI International's research under a project called Energy Harvesting.

Old 23 October 2001, 14:51
Probationary User

that's ... unique
Old 26 October 2001, 19:22
Confirmed User

*waiting for one of three things: 1) the mircowave oven and fridge to go with it, 2) the first tester to have one short out and cause a hot foot, and 3) an ingenious trooper to figure out how to induce #2*

[This message has been edited by Mac679 (edited 10-26-2001).]
Old 8 November 2001, 02:24
Confirmed User

Boots

Okay, after 20 years of boots (Marines, and police), I am getting bad feet, sore knees, etc.

I have seen some places the bates "Navy Seal" boot...is this a good product? The ad's claim they are as comfy as a running shoe, and insinuate they can still be polished...??

Any input? I believe the model is officially called the "Bates 924 Navy Seal Boot".

Any feedback would be appreciated...

Mike
Old 8 November 2001, 02:39
ebbertt
Visitor

Bought a pair of Bates from Getfitnow, very very comfortable boots. The claims about being just like a running shoe are definitely true. They do have a leather lower part, but the upper is some type of fabric, don't recall what kind. So part of the boot could be polished.

Matt
Old 8 November 2001, 04:46
Jeff Rambo
Visitor

There is a gear forum on SOCNET, but I'll let this one slide. Just be sure to capitalize SEAL the next time.
Old 8 November 2001, 11:33
Confirmed User

Sorry about the Seal (SEAL)...I do know better...

Call me a dumb jarhead once for my penence
Old 8 November 2001, 12:02
Enumeration is fun!

Bates 924s kick ass for running in. I've been running in mine for about six months now and they were worth every penny I spent for them.

However, because they are designed specifically for running and are very lightweight I didn't throw away my jungle boots. I prefer something a little more rugged and protective in the field and at sea. Also, the pair I have are pretty much worn out now. I'm just nursing them along until January when supposedly I'll be issued another pair at SWCC.

The uniform shop at Kaneohe MCAS was the only place on Oahu that carried the 924s btw. I think I paid about 80 bux for them.

mario
Old 8 November 2001, 12:49
Confirmed User

Can you get a good shine on the leather..????
Old 8 November 2001, 14:24
ebbertt
Visitor

Don't know whether you can get a good shine on the leather or not, never had to try since I'm just a wannabe right now. Come this October or so, I'll let you know . Well, maybe.

Matt
Old 8 November 2001, 19:25
Enumeration is fun!

They shine up pretty good. I wore them to work for awhile.

mario
Old 9 November 2001, 21:38
Confirmed User

may not want them too glassy if you are "going hot".
Old 9 November 2001, 23:44
Confirmed User

I am not going "hot". I just need a more comfy shoe/boot for patrol. Jump boots are killing me.

And the old (I am 37 years old) Marine in me says they must be able to be shined. No more spitshining here as it is impractacle for patrol. But I do put a decent shine on each morning.
Old 10 November 2001, 00:46
Probationary User

Re-sole jungle boots?

Has anyone ever re-soled their jungle boots? The tread is really wearing out. I've had mine for so long, I'd rather re-sole them if possible. I've seen Army Airborne and SF types with a different type sole on their jungle boots when I was at JRTC years ago. It looked like they were re-soled but I never bothered to ask.

Thanks
Old 10 November 2001, 04:55
Probationary User

the fabric on the upper part of the boot is courdura, and nylon. the same material used for most backpacks. i have a pair. they are great. mine use to polish up nice, but after running in the sand and being in the salty sea water....they have seen better days. but they dry out quick, and hold up pretty well. great for running in.

Our new posting rules