Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 11 November 2001, 10:54
Probationary User

I have mine resoled at Ft. Jackson. The guy there doesn't just glue them on as some places, but actually stitches the new sole to the boot. I prefer the ripple sole to the Vibrams, but that is personnel preference. HTH

Stephen
Old 11 November 2001, 14:54
Confirmed User

Smile

I think the question should be how many times have you resoled your Jungles before the rest of the boot wore out?? Doesnt EVERYONE resole their boots?
Old 11 November 2001, 17:12

Bates 924 are excellent for doing boot runs on concrete, but they are horrible in the woods. The sole has no traction and you slip a lot because of it; however, if you are a police officer patrolling cities, then they would probably work out well.

[This message has been edited by CaptainKB (edited 11-12-2001).]
Old 11 November 2001, 17:15
bubba
Visitor

Try resole.com . They will put a running type sole on your favorite boots for about $50. They remove the whole sole and completely re-do the sole. This lightens the boots so that they feel like your favorite running shoes but are wearable in uniform. I took two pairs to SFAS about two months ago and they were wonderful to my feet(no blisters/ achy feet). You can expect to pay about the same elswhere for a grind and glue job that most re-sole places do.

------------------
RLTW
Old 11 November 2001, 21:40
Probationary User

Thanks for the info. Anyone know of a decent place in the San Diego area to get my jungle boots resoled?
Old 12 November 2001, 01:50
mnp109
Visitor

Anyone know of any stores that carry Bates 924s. I can get them off the interent but would much rather have a chance to try them on first, since boots sizes tend to vary for me.
Old 13 November 2001, 19:21
grrlcop74
Visitor

Thumbs up

I bought a pair five years ago, love 'em! Great for LE patrol, very comfortable and lightweight. They are just now starting to wear down, they've outlasted my buddies' Magnums, Rockys, etc. Mine have steel toes, great for shins! I bought mine at Keesler AFB, wish I still had base privileges so I could drive over and get another pair a little cheaper.

Kristen
Old 14 November 2001, 07:26
On the Extract Bird

Kristen,

I'll get you in the exchange if you frisk me....
Old 14 November 2001, 11:30
grrlcop74
Visitor

<getting out gallon jug of hand sanitizer>

I'm headin' to Florida!!

Kristen
Old 14 November 2001, 11:49
ebbertt
Visitor

Quote:
...but they are horrible in the woods. The sole has no traction and you slip a lot because of it...[/B]
I can attest to that unfortunately. Choose something else to run in the wods with, you don't want to mess up your knee like I did.

Old 14 November 2001, 21:57
On the Extract Bird

hand sanitizer?

Most of my sores have healed up and I haven't had crabs in over two months!

geesh, women these days are so finicky....
Old 7 January 2002, 08:56
Confirmed User

Boot Break-In

I just purchased a pair of Altama combat boots and want to start conditioning my feet and boots. I went out for what I thought would be a nice 5-6 mile ruck with a 45 lb. pack and within a mile I had a blister on my right heel. Apparently, the leather is so rough in that area, it just gripped my sock and rubbed my skin raw.

What is the best way to break in these boots?

Thanks.
Old 7 January 2002, 09:09
Confirmed User

Classic FNG move. Sorry. I didn't see my earlier post the first time around.
Old 7 January 2002, 12:45
Probationary User

I dont know much about Altamas but why don't you try some insoles?
Old 7 January 2002, 17:34
Master Blaster

Breaking in boots has been covered on several different boot threads. Do alittle reading, I'm sure you will find alot of info.
83-87
Old 9 January 2002, 10:03
Confirmed User

Insoles were the first investment, but these boots (Altamas) have a patch of leather along the heel that has more traction than the rubber along the bottom of the boot (read: it grips and grinds into one's heel very impressively). Of course, it's only on one boot.

If my feet can ever get used to these boots, I'll enlist with the Zulu Nation and fight barefoot comfortably.
Old 23 January 2002, 12:15
Confirmed User

I know this has worked for me. Put your boots on. Stand in the bathtub, turn on the HOT water and fill her up. Let the water soak over the top and get those boots really wet. Then after a long soaking go for a squessy walk. I dont know if that works for your boots, it worked for me with my boots. good luck.
pete
Old 10 February 2002, 18:50
Confirmed User

Anyone tried these boots?

Has anyone tried any of these boots and have any recommendations?

Trooper II by Danner
Storm by Mangum
Rocky Alphaforce

Basically, I am looking for something that will stay somewhat dry and warm, is lightweight, comfortable, and rugged enough to withstand a lot of rucking.
There's got to be something better than just regular old jungle boots.

Thanks
Old 10 February 2002, 20:07
Confirmed User

Better choices than jungle boots!

Questions about boots are somewhat tricky, b/c everyones' feet are different, therfore you have to find the boots that work well for you!
I myself have worn Danners, and am now currently wearing Matterhorns. Great Boots Matterhorns, you can't go wrong! Their is always a trade-off when you're looking for boots that are:
Lightweight-Comfy-durable-warm/dry. From my experience some boots are more of this, less of that, and sometimes in between! Danner makes great boots, however make sure the boot has a good traction sole, has a shock absorbing midsole/insole( Acadia, ft. Lewis)(How high is the trooper II?)and is 8-10 inches in height for proper ankle support. Also the height permits trouser blousing, to keep out dirt, mud, water etc.. I myself have the Matterhorn ATD, and the USMC boots(best boots so far!)
Magnum boots are comfy, but more suited for urban/garrison settings, less for rucking out in the boonies. They're not durable enough(seen several get trashed within a month from being used in the field), and the Magnums I've seen cannot be resoled!
I have no experience with Rockys, so I cannot offer you any opinion!
Besides in the field, there is no guarantee that one will be able to keep their feet warm/dry/comfy all the time. Good luck with whatever choice you make!
Old 10 February 2002, 23:18
whisky8
Visitor

Raichles.

Our new posting rules