SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 8 October 2002, 21:27

Question USMC Infantry Combat Boot

Does anyone know who makes the new Marine Corps Infantry Combat Boot? I believe Matterhorn does, but does anyone else? Also how do these boots compare to standard issue jungle boots or desert boots? Durability comfort weight etc. I am trying to find a genuine combat boot to run in other than my garbage chinese knockoff jungle boots. So far I have heard that the Bates 924 boot is good for running but I am primarily interested in Marine Corps boots so I can get used to them.

Also when (if ever) will we be able to get our hands on the knew USMC Jungle Desert Boot? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 8 October 2002, 23:00
Authorized Personnel

Heres the link
Old 8 October 2002, 23:05
Authorized Personnel

The primary manufacturer of the ICB, both black and rough-out is Belleville. The new boots, both ICB and Hot weather, are neither jungle nor desert boot, but common boots. They are now coyote brown instead of the previous black in order to blend in better in almost all terrain. Belleville is precluded in selling the Marine rough out boot to anyone but Marine clothing sales, although its basically their Model 790 in a slightly different shade of brown and an embossed Marine emblem. At this time they will not even sell them to deployed Marines, I tried, that cannot get them though the clothing system.
Old 9 October 2002, 07:52

thanks for your quick replies. I have searched the boards on this topic since my post (i know I should have done it first) and searched the internet and it looks like the following manufactors make the Marine ICB

Matterhorn

Belleville

Danner (is the acadia the same boot as the ICB?)

I believe bates manufactors them as well but they call it the Defender 8" boot anyone looked at these?
All these manufactors of the ICB price very differently, has anyone compared them? I am curious how the bates defender, if it is an ICB, compares to the Matterhorn ICB.

Thanks for the heads up on the Marine Jungle Desert Boot from Belleville, my only question about the 790 is do those boots have the drain grommets like the Marine Hot weather boot?

Also Bates footwear has been awarded the contract for the Marine Jungle Desert Boot. heres the link http://www.fashionwindows.com/visual.../wolverine.asp
Old 9 October 2002, 08:05
Authorized Personnel

Matterhorns made a very limited run of ICBs for issue, although you find them in clothing sales. The majority of ICB you see in the FMF were made by Belleville. Which has become the primary contractor for the MCCUU boots, the ICB version contains Gore Tex, the hot weather boot doesn't have the Gore Tex and is made by both Bates and Belleville. I have seen hot weather boots with and without drain holes, so I am not sure that was a required item on the boots. Just like the 790s, Belleville has a close proximity to the rough out boot, the 300 series, but the only one they list on their site is the steel toed version. The Bates seemed to not be as a high quality the Belleville version.
Old 9 October 2002, 19:08

How do the ICB boots compare to the hot weather/marine jungle desert boots in weight. Anybody know? Once again I am looking for a training boot that will be good to run in, and I am considering these issue boots verses the Bates 924 boot. Also has anyone compared the old issue desert boot to the knew hot weather boot or the ICB?

Is there a military issue boot that is similar to the belleville 300? It looks similar to the bates 924 but I have heard the bates boot may have durability issues. Has anyone run in a 300 series boot?

Thanks 0802 for all your help

Last edited by ReconHopeful; 9 October 2002 at 19:15.
Old 10 October 2002, 21:03

Wellco vs. Altama

Ok Wellco and Altama sell seemingly identical general issue boots, namely the jungle boots and desert boots. Wellco is about 25 dollars cheaper on their JBs and 30 dollars cheaper with their Desert Boots. Both the Wellcos and the Altamas are mil-spec which should I go for? I am looking primarily at the desert boots.

Weight?

Comfort?

Durability?
Old 10 October 2002, 23:08
Authorized Personnel

Wellco IMHO.

This came up earlier this year. Click here .
Old 11 October 2002, 08:08

yeah I looked at that thread and it kind of triggered my post. So wellco is the place for Jungle boots, but I feel that it kind of comparing apples and oranges. The tuffkusion was compared to Altama's general issue jungle boot, not the ripple sole or the sierra sole commercial boots.
For me I'm most interested in Wellco's desert issue boots verses Altama's desert issue boot. There is a 30 dollar price difference from most retailers. If they have sole DMS etc., same coolmax lining.
Old 11 October 2002, 17:05
Authorized Personnel

No idea then. Sorry
Old 12 October 2002, 01:02
extremetacticalgear
Visitor

New Boots

Hello ReconHopeful,

I am a dealer for the Altama's and I just like them. The latest word was that they are coming out with a Desert Ripple Sole soon, and if you can wait, they would be worth having. I have a pair of the OD and can not say enough about the comfort and quality. I have talked to my representative about them also producing a Desert in the Sierra Sole. They mentioned that they would push that up the line next. If you can wait, it definately will be worth the wait.

etg
Old 17 October 2002, 23:46
Special Forces
Visitor

Quote:
Originally posted by ReconHopeful
How do the ICB boots compare to the hot weather/marine jungle desert boots in weight. Anybody know? Once again I am looking for a training boot that will be good to run in, and I am considering these issue boots verses the Bates 924 boot. Also has anyone compared the old issue desert boot to the knew hot weather boot or the ICB?

Is there a military issue boot that is similar to the belleville 300? It looks similar to the bates 924 but I have heard the bates boot may have durability issues. Has anyone run in a 300 series boot?

Thanks 0802 for all your help

I bought a set of the ICBs from Belleville and mine are heavy, clunky and uncomfortable, in addition to having to be returned at my expense for a sizing issue.

The tongue fit was so bad I finally gave up and went back to my Rocky's and issue JBs.

Their show boots felt very light and spiffy, till I discovered that they are like, a Size 7.

I would not buy a pair without trying them on first.

Just my .02, YMMV.
Old 18 October 2002, 03:27
Probationary User

I had a problem with Altama boots

I recently bought a pair of Altama's OD Green Commercial Jungle Boots from Brigade Quartermaster. I got them in the same size I always wear, but they were very tight at the point where the cotton duck meets the upper. Once my foot hit the upper, they fit fine, but it was a minor hassle getting there. After trying them on a few times, I was so annoyed that I sent them back.

Now, I'm glad I got my money back, and I'm glad I saw this thread. It looks like I'm not the only person to have a problem with the fit of the Altama boots. I'm going to give Wellco a try.
Old 18 October 2002, 08:03

Should be receiving a pair of mil spec desert boots from Altama today or tomorrow. I will let you know how they break in, fit, hold up and feel on the runs and ruck runs.
Old 27 March 2003, 23:53

Steel shanks in JB's

I need to customize some JB's to get the "running shoe" effect. How do go about yoinking the steel shanks out of JB's? What about the toe and heel cups.
Old 31 March 2003, 17:32
Authorized Personnel

Doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of the boots in the first place?
Old 31 March 2003, 17:34
creeping death
Visitor

DIY with a really sharp knife or just take 'em to the local boot shop and have them do it fer ya.
Old 31 March 2003, 17:55

Thumbs up

Gracias, Creeping Death. I think that I'll go the Shoe Shop route, I don't want to gash the hell out of myself, or even worse, screw-up a couple of pair of new JB's.:D
Old 4 April 2003, 21:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally posted by namor
Doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of the boots in the first place?
Depends on what yer using them for.
Old 4 April 2003, 22:48
Confirmed User

Seriously, how does one go about customizing(?) jungle boots in the manner BRT549 originally asked? I spent 4 years in an armored Inf. unit and never had the nedd to do this before, my kicks were the treads on an M2A2. Now that I'm rucking in prep for 18X I would like to try this and don't know that there are manny cobblers (good word right?) in midtown Manhattan that would know the correct way to jury rig jungle boots. A serious answer would be greatly appriciated.

Danny

Our new posting rules