Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 18 February 2005, 23:36
Been There Done That

My .02

DON'T DO IT!

I bought an uberhundred dollar Swiss Army radioactive altimeter superwatch before I headed over to the Caucausas, and the damn thing went tits up within a couple months. Called Swiss Army and they were less than helpful. Guess what I have on my wrist right now? Yep...G-Shock (with a suunto wrist compass clipper on the band).

Those altimeters are pretty piss poor. Yeah, they'll give you an idea of where you're at and how much up or down you've done, but the barometric drift will always keep these from being anything other than guesstimates. Like you, I can't see how that can be avoided using pressure to measure. GPS will give you another way to measure, but I haven't heard of any watches using GPS for altitude. IMHO, if you're out and about, you should have a GPS on you anyway, and that will give you far better info than any watch.

I'd get another G-Shock and spend the money on something else.
"I have often thought how much happier I should have been if instead of accepting the command, under such circumstances, I had taken my musket on my shoulder, and entered the ranks ; or, had retired to the backcountry and lived in a wigwam." George Washington

Ssgt. Jacob Frazier - RIP 29MAR03 Geresk
Old 19 February 2005, 00:32
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA You're a geer queer and you know it!

Buy the Suunto M9 dude. It has a GPS built in. And its ONLY $700!!!!
Old 19 February 2005, 02:00
Confirmed User

Dude,

All the cash you made on that last gig...

Hell any of these will do. :D

http://www.collectionltd.com/chronoswiss.htm

RAT OUT!!!
Old 19 February 2005, 02:16
Moving Toward The Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAT
Dude,

All the cash you made on that last gig...

Hell any of these will do. :D

http://www.collectionltd.com/chronoswiss.htm

RAT OUT!!!
Looks like they forgot to put the decimal point in the prices.

I certainly would not buy from a company that overlooks that small of a detail.

:D :D :D

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch......Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

The less said, the less dead.
Old 19 February 2005, 03:15
Confirmed User

Go Suunto, avoid the vector. I bought a Observer and it is awesome. My only compliant would be for some of the feature you actually need to carry the Quick Reference Guide in yoiur wallet.
"The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli
Old 19 February 2005, 10:22
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShmoe
Looks like they forgot to put the decimal point in the prices.

I certainly would not buy from a company that overlooks that small of a detail.

:D :D :D

HAHAHA

Man Dem cheap compaired to these: http://www.patek.com/

The PP's start about 35,000. :D

Xdeth making big money.

You know what ROCKY said... "You wanna have a good time? You gotta have a good watch."

RAT OUT!!!
Old 19 February 2005, 10:26
USMC Sniper, HOG

Sunto. Beat the piss out of the one I have and it still works great. (just don't get any bug juice on it)

(Insert your name), what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

USMC. We put the FUN in Fundamental Extremist! :cool:
Old 19 February 2005, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtUSMC8541
Sunto. Beat the piss out of the one I have and it still works great. (just don't get any bug juice on it)
I have a SUUNTO Vector and its been working great since the day I bought it (I got it because I am lazy and didn't want to carry an altimeter with the rest of my paragliding gear). The only thing I would recommend is not getting any sunblock/suntan lotion on it as it will immediately wipe off the painted name/model on the watch body. But then I hate wearing/advertising brandnames anyway, so no big deal here....
Old 19 February 2005, 11:48
Confirmed User

Review

Here's a fairly good review of the Vector in addition to SOTB's recommendation. Although I myself have no experience with it yet, the Polar AXN500 (average $300) looks like it might also be something you would want to look at..."Dude, how much vert did you log today?"
Old 19 February 2005, 13:22
Been There Done That

Now I'm definetely leaning towards the Suunto Observer or the Polar, it might come down to which one is in a store nearest to me, the Polar is nice and I already have a transmitter from my other cheapo polar hr monitor. I hear ya Viking, I have the same clip on suunto compass on my watch, problem is it looks too military, same problem with the Vector, looks out of place wearing without a drop holster and randall knife GPS in a watch? Can't imagine the features are that great or usable, and for 700 bucks!

Last edited by Xdeth; 19 February 2005 at 13:37.
Old 19 February 2005, 14:07
Confirmed User

I can't believe you are going to pass on one of those nice swiss watches for that Suunto..That plastic thang. ;D

Next if you lose a nut we might mistake you for SOTB... :D

All kidding aside you can't go wrong with the Suunto.

RAT OUT!!!
Old 19 February 2005, 14:35
Confirmed User

Oh yea, one more note on the Suunto Observer- it has the scratch proof glass!!
"The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli
Old 19 February 2005, 14:56
Been There, Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtUSMC8541
Yes, I agree with you on the 'bug juice." It can really fog up the face. I found this out the hard way on a recent dive trip to the Yucatan Pn. The bug and no-seeums were bad. I got some on the face of my Suunto Mosqitoe Dive Computer/Watch. The good thing was had the plastic protective cover on it and that saved the real view port.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.- T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"
Old 19 February 2005, 17:05
Been There Done That

I notice none of the models mentioned use Sapphire crystal, that would be a huge benefit.
Old 20 February 2005, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth
....GPS in a watch? Can't imagine the features are that great or usable, and for 700 bucks!
You know you want one. Do the right thing and buy it before you see one on my wrist and wind up with a heavier case of Suunto envy (worse than the one you already have now:D)....
Old 20 February 2005, 04:21
Been There, Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth
I notice none of the models mentioned use Sapphire crystal, that would be a huge benefit.

Yeah, I agree with you! My Rolex GMT Master II has one and looks just like when my wife gave it to me in 1990.

The Suunto Mosquito has a soft plastic that scratches easily and is affected by different types of chemicals like "bug Juice, etc."
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.- T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"
Old 7 July 2007, 10:49
Administrator

You need to have 2 time zones at 300 ft? Anything with push buttons will flood at that depth.
Old 7 July 2007, 12:43
shiver me timbers

Rolex GMT would work, it's a dive watch with an additional hour hand.
Old 7 July 2007, 13:42
Been There, Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycurgus
I need a watch that can hold at least 2 different times (local, zulu) and looks fairly tactical. Also, needs to be divable to at least 100m. Any ideas?

As someone said the Rolex GMT would do it, but it's a little pricy! I have one, but seldom dive with it. (Hate to loose it.)

I also have a Suunto Mosquito (Watch/Dive computer) that one can set two time zones on. (I Keep one on GMT). The dive computer works well too. One can set it for air or nitrox. Take a look at Suunto's dive watches, the Stinger is another good one too, although more expensive then the Mosquito.

http://www.suuntowatches.com/By_Func...dex.cat?sNav=0

There is also the Casio watches, I like this one.:

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/GW700BDJ-2.asp

Or this one from Citizen:

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/JV0030-01E.asp
Old 7 July 2007, 14:08
Authorized Personnel

This is the one from Casio that I wear. I used to do the G-Shock, but I couldn't find them anymore with the dual time. I dont know if they last as long as the G-Shock does (my last G-Shock went for almost 10 years) but the one I have right now is over three years old and going strong (with a new battery and band) after a year in Iraq.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-AMW320D-...832022&sr=1-43

Our new posting rules