SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 25 July 2009, 08:04
Confirmed User

You gentlemen are giving some great info and history of the team and I appreciate it. When I saw this little mobile demo team it was probably 83, maybe 84, and I recall asking the man who arranged it, Mr. Wolf, if he had served on such a team, he replied something to the effect of "Thankfully no." Judging by many answers here, I suspect why.
Old 25 July 2009, 09:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmurph View Post
He died a few years ago from Alzheimers...

...Squirrel was one of the nicest guys to know and also one of the funniest......could have had his own stand up comedy show.
Damn. He was a lot of fun to be around; and he cheerfully gave of his knowledge to help us kids out.

Whoever gets 'Squirrel' as his C/S has a lot to live up to; and he better be funny...

RIP.
Old 25 July 2009, 21:09

I was never on the demonstration team but did a few Smoke-eater details in 1971. Does anyone remember Peanuts? She was a deer faun the guys that ran Gabriel made a pet of. She would follow anyone who had coffee and doughnuts.
Old 27 July 2009, 00:07
BT,WBTWC

Quote:
A complaint amongst us new guys was we wished we could see the whole show.
Ditto:

My team was about four stations back on the walkaround, waiting up the rappel tower to do our thing. Afterward, we had enough time to slip up and around the back of the bleachers to catch the tail end of the Gabriel: Helio Courier, HALO, FULTON and the leaflet drop.

Never did see the whole thing, but sometime we could grab a snack from the roast rabbit station.
Old 30 July 2009, 21:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie005 View Post
how short?
I am 6'3" and he was a head shorther..........
Old 23 August 2009, 11:59

My team was sent to CLI for Castillian 01-74-04/75. Then we were handed the tough job of doing ten days of layout/spiels in every senior high school in the city of LA. As we were landing my TL grabs my arm and says "Look down there!" So its a house burning with tracers flying into it. Another movie? We roll into the Burbank Police Station to secure our arms and man are they staring. The one lieutenant says, "Man it sure doesn't take you guys long." The SLA had just been put to sleep. So we didn't have much of a problem with getting the kids attention. Those girls Brothers. Those hot, rich, lonely high school girls. We couldn't touch any of them. We spent one hell of a night at Maggies. We had a cool time in the Playboy Club. I remember drinking with Sprouse. Don't remember where. Maybe it will shake loose. Sorry to hear you went out like that Squirrel. Well if they still made Red White and Blue I'd pop one for you. And sing "Ol Blue".
Old 22 March 2018, 06:12

Thumbs up Oh yes, the Gabriel "Dog and Pony" shows!

Upon SFQC graduation, I was assigned to 7th SFG(A) Signal Company and in '76-77 I did the commo station, sometimes the rappel station, and helped rig the fulton recovery. I PCS'd to Bad Toelz in late '77 and upon return in late '79 the Gabriel demos were rarely done and had moved due to the completion of the AA freeway. In the early '80s I was in 5th SFG(A) and we did some demos out at Mott Lake compound.
Old 22 March 2018, 09:27
BTDT

I have done quite a few Mod-Demo taskings in my day. The Pope Air Show and the International Boy Scout Jamboree where without a doubt the two biggest headaches.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 22 March 2018, 11:20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396 View Post
as each one of us stepped forward and "snapped" and "popped" to Parade Rest with the precision of a Blackhat!...

That's false advertising right there. The truth would be more like having your patrol cap on the back of your head at a 30-45 deg angle, hands in your pockets, and bitching about how you got fucked by the S-1 on your last TDY voucher.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 22 March 2018, 11:30
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
That's false advertising right there. The truth would be more like having your patrol cap on the back of your head at a 30-45 deg angle, hands in your pockets, and bitching about how you got fucked by the S-1 on your last TDY voucher.
he didn't say "Mad AttheS1section" he said Mod Demonstration"
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 22 March 2018, 11:37
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
I have done quite a few Mod-Demo taskings in my day. The Pope Air Show and the International Boy Scout Jamboree where without a doubt the two biggest headaches.
How about the Canine-Equine Extravaganza when they used to bring the new crop of US Ambassadors down to Bragg for "Intro to SOCOM" briefings in the 90s...that was good fun, Mod Demos on the lawn at 2929, always seemed to happen in June or July.
Old 22 March 2018, 11:46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
he didn't say "Mad AttheS1section" he said Mod Demonstration"

Guilty conscience? You being an MFF instructor for so long, you're probably one of the worst of the offenders...
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 16 April 2018, 16:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebo View Post
As CDR396 says, thats the way they do it now.

When I was in A/3/5 in the mid 80's, the gabe team was "padded", or the ghost team for the company, I think it was around then they got integrated back into a "regular team".

We went to Ft Henry Harrison for some cold wx tng, and they where with the company, LTC Jacobelly was the Bn CDR then (it was a Bn tng thing).

I think some of the "last" Gabe teamers where, Colero, Gregory, Creech (that may have been his nickname), Jackson, and that's about all I can remember.
How could you forget Soter and McGuiness?
Old 16 April 2018, 18:37
BTDT

If its of interest, the SWCS MSF Basic Rider Course (Motorcycle) is done on the short flight strip of the old Gabriel Area adjacent to the All American and just off of Gruber. The bleachers are still there, as are some of the old red and blue arrows indicating which path to walk down between stations are still there.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 16 April 2018, 18:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by X18BSOCAL View Post
How could you forget Soter and McGuiness?
I would think most forgot the Parker brothers. One was even on a Poster.

Our new posting rules