SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

View Poll Results: What % of Friends/Family are Fully Prepared for Global Disaster (3-18 Month Survival)
Less than 1% 83 44.86%
1-10% 64 34.59%
10-20% 19 10.27%
20-30% 10 5.41%
Greater than 30% 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 October 2009, 12:17
ORP

Who is Prepared for a Major Attack or Natural Disaster?

Ladies and Gents,<o></o>
<o></o>
SOCNET MANAGEMENT APPROVED<o></o>
<o></o>
PLEASE REMEMBER TO ANSWER THE POLL<o></o>
<o></o>
How many of you are prepared to survive in case the shit really hits the fan and to what level? Whether by yourself or with your family. Nuclear War, Invasion, Global Viral Epidemic, Major Terrorist Attack, Extinction Level Meteor Strike, Natural Disaster, whatever. Think along the lines of Stephen Kings 'the Stand', the films 28 Days Later/The Day After Tomorrow/I am Legend/Deep Impact.<o></o>
<o></o><o></o>
True Apocalypse/end of the world stuff.<o></o>
<o></o>
Scenario:

You have no electricity, no running water, no food, no communications, no Internet, no one else to help you. There will be major looting of everyting you would want to quickly run out and get. Wal-Mart, LL Bean, Piggly Wiggly and Radio Shack shelves empty within an hour.

You have to survive on your own for minimum 3 months, maximum 18 months. Government and all Public Services have collapsed. You (and your family) are 100% on your own.<o></o>
<o></o>
Do you have a storm shelter? Case of beans, Army blanket and a kerosene lamp in the basement? Shotgun and a can of gas in the trunk? Complete go-bag hanging on a hook next to the front door with GPS, maps, batteries, firts aid kit, flares, CB, Sat phone, a couple MREs and a .45?<o>
</o><o></o>
Or do you have a full blown Cold War era fallout shelter with enough provisions and entertainment to sustain you and your family for 5 years? Do you have a plan for going somewhere else, transportation, etc.<o></o>
<o></o>
Consider the absolute worst case scenario...are you REALLY prepared?<o>
</o><o></o>
I'm not looking for anyone to show off (i.e.'I have a M240 under the bed, with a thermal site and a helicopter full of Jerky in the in the back yard'). <o></o>
<o></o>
I want no bullshit answers. Don't be embarrassed if you have nothing, just say so. This is serious research.<o></o>
<o></o>
BASIS: I have what I believe is a bullshit statistic that I’m trying to disprove: That almost 40% of all 300 million Americans are fully prepared for any of the above. Crazy I know, but this figure is actually being used repeatedly in very official circles.<o></o>
<o></o>
Please ask around 5 or 10 or more of your every day, Joe-average, non-survival nut friends, family and acquaintances.Then please answer the poll and leave anecdotal commentary detailing:<o></o>
<o></o>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->1.<!--[endif]-->What you voted for in the poll.<o></o>
<o></o>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->2.You and your friend's level of preparedness, be as animated and creative as you like;<o></o>
<o></o>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->3.What <!--[endif]-->you and your contact's opinion is on the 40% statistic;<o></o>
<o></o>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->4.<!--[endif]-->The number of people you asked (ask as many as you like).<o></o>
<o></o>
Then debate amongst yourselves.<o></o>
<o></o>
Thank you for your time. And no, this is actually serious corporate research for a project, so there’s no Zombies. As much fun as that would have been to write about in my research. <o></o>

I answered the poll after talking to over 10 stateside family and friends. Less than 1%. And sadly, I myself do not have a major plan or stashed provisions besides a small go-bag that I store most of my hiking stuff in.<o>
</o>

Last edited by Ranger1; 9 October 2009 at 12:44.
Old 9 October 2009, 12:43
Greenhat
Visitor

Family in America is unprepared. No exceptions. Family in Thailand is very well prepared... basically because the scenario would not be a tremendous change from how they lived until 20 or 30 years ago. Farm is completely capable of being self-sufficient. Electricity, etc. are not essential to survival.
Old 9 October 2009, 12:43
shiver me timbers

I voted 20-30%, because of the high LDS (mormon) population here, which preaches preparedness; having a 72 hour kit, and having a year's supply of food. My wife is formerly LDS, and we have taken steps to prepare for trouble, but then I guess we won't know how well we did until the feces hits the blades.

Last edited by eltrane; 9 October 2009 at 12:43. Reason: spelling correction
Old 9 October 2009, 13:01
Waiting and watching.....

The majority of my family, friends, etc. are far from it. Most of my family are "born-again" so they feel as though essentials aren't necessary due to the second coming. So be it.

I do however, thank my Dad for making camping, fishing and hunting trips for us as kids, the rough version. Prepared me better than most for Army bivouacs anyhow. I try to maintain a small amount (2 weeks) of necessities for hurricanes (i've seen a few) and anything else that may pop up. Probably a little too optimistic.
Old 9 October 2009, 13:05
carry on smartly

< 1%...Wife and I are G2G for a week after the last 2 ice storms...I kinda took the "look at today and what if it was summer" approach to drive the conversation that we should be prepared for at least a week no matter what kind of SHTF scenario happens.

Hell, we'll either be rounded up or living in the hills like OBL if it really get so bad that basic services like water and electric go away.
Old 9 October 2009, 13:18
Scoundrel

After I read this book, I realized how unprepared I was. Since reading it, I've had several conversations with friends and co-workers and can say that less than 1% are prepared to go 3-18 months with what they have access to now.

http://www.librarything.com/work/6777085

It is not a terribly serious book, but a quick read.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 9 October 2009, 13:23

Most of the people in my area, (myself included), were raised with grand parents present that raised families during the depression. They taught us a lot. We could eat out of the pantry for a month no prob. Most of us have additional stocks of dry food in bulk. Depending on the time of year when SHTF event happened, gardens and wild game could indefinitely support nutritional needs. The 50-60's crowd have the knowledge to feed themselves in a "non-grocerie store environment". They do have the disadvantage of age related limitations. The 40 year old crowd can be spooled up pretty quick to pitch in. As far as the below 30 year olds, they are screwed in the short term, with those that have extensive military survival training being the exception. As well as being able to defend themselves, we are armed to the teeth,well stocked and there are more "ex-GI's" than not. There is also an abundance of people with "hands on" knowledge in improvisation when it comes to transportation, electrical power generation and providing water, sewer and shelter construction from available materials. With proper leadership, I can see communal living as a realistic scenario. On a national level however, I can not see mass preparation above the 1-3 percent level for that length of time. If you are prepared to do it for 18 mts, you are prepared to do it for the rest of your life in my opinion.
Old 9 October 2009, 13:58
Authorized Personnel

1. 1%-10%
2. Mostly its a sink or swim response. Friends that are preparedness-minded are actual fairly well prepared. Most family members and other friends, literally have nothing. I need to replenish my MRE stash, but I'm stocked well enough for myself & family for 1-2 months.
3. Utter bullshit.
4. 6 family (HH6) & 6 friends.
Old 9 October 2009, 14:00
?

I asked the 3 guys I went to lunch with today, and none are prepared for more than a month. In Minnesota, I think most people would be in for a big suprise this time of the year, no matter how prepared they "think" they are.

I voted for the 10-20% range. I don't think those in the city are nearly as prepared as those of us in the country. There are a lot of things that people on a farm acquire or have that would be very beneficial in a time of crisis like you describe.

For me, well, I think I could sustain a decent life for long term. Not that I'm paranoid and trying to "be prepared for the end", living on a farm just prepares you to live without. When I thought of my situation, I remembered all the little things that are just there, sitting around, that would help sustain life without power, water, government, etc...

-animals
-large gardens
-wood for heat
-many hand tools from way back when are still sitting around in workable condition. (hand saws especially)
-land
-corn & soybean seed (grows food for the animals)
-Short term stash of MRE's that have just been acquired over time
-guns, ammo, bow & arrow
-3 large confinement barns that would get robbed and a whole lot of pork jerky made!
-clothing (not everyone has the cloths needed to be able to spend 12 hours outside in -10 degree weather, a lot of the farmers/rural people in my area do)

None of us thought the 40% figure was possible, although, living in MN and living in Alabama have different problems when the electricity gets cut off. Food can be found, but warmth is another story.

I think my biggest problem would be not having internet so I could read SOCNET and play Travian..... :)

"OK, thankfully my wife doesn't read SOCNET -- something to do with it being filled with likeminded, immature people. Fuck her." - SOTB
Old 9 October 2009, 14:15
A/1/75

Vast majority would die off quick. We would make it a month then have to rely on outside sources of food, depending on the time of year. Lots of game nearby but that would go fast with the amount of people that would be flooding our AO from the cities. Rioting and such would be rampant

Charlie
Old 9 October 2009, 14:45
Weaponized Pimphand

My parents would be better off than me. I'm in an apartment, so my options are a bit more limited.

I have enough water and prepared foods/grains/etc. plus spare batteries.

I'd be pretty screwed if it was a long term disaster. Not much I can do about that this year, or even the year after, unfortunately.

Karma is a bitch, and I am wet with her kisses
Old 9 October 2009, 14:46
Scotty's Mommy

Smile

I'm married to an active duty SF guy and my sister is married to a retired SF guy. Both of us tend to take a lot of things for granted because of our husbands.

However, we were raised as Mormons so the old six month supply rule was hammered into us daily. Not to mention we were raised in a blizzard zone. Nebraska closes gates across the interstate if the snow and wind are too awful bad. We both have lived in hurricaine areas - Sis in Naples, me in Miami and both of us in NC. Plus NE is a well known tornado area. I've been through major disasters caused by tornadoes and hurricaines.

Just for good measure my oldest brother worked for Coleman's Hurricaine Respose team. He issued all of us a check list for what to have and what to do.

I had to laugh at my neighbor during one Miami hurricaine. I had a full tank of gas and was heading to NC because of the lack of power in Miami. She asked me where I got gas since nobody had power. I told her I had filled the car before the storm hit. She said "REALLY? I never thought of that." OMG! Big duh baby.
Old 9 October 2009, 14:49
Scotty's Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F View Post
My parents would be better off than me. I'm in an apartment, so my options are a bit more limited.

I have enough water and prepared foods/grains/etc. plus spare batteries.

I'd be pretty screwed if it was a long term disaster. Not much I can do about that this year, or even the year after, unfortunately.
We live in an apartment too but that doesn't mean you can't be prepared. Evac routes - do you know where they are and how to get out of the city? Shelters - do you know where they are and what to bring? Do you have pets? which shelters accept pets? Do you have a link up plan with a family member or close friend?

I am shocked at what people don't know and haven't thought about.
Good thread!
Old 9 October 2009, 15:12
Confirmed User

1.What you voted for in the poll.- 1-10%

2.You and your friend's level of preparedness, be as animated and creative as you like;

I've been stocking up on bulk items like rice, oatmeal, canned foods, etc. usually grabbing an item or two when doing regular food shopping. I've got plenty of ammo for my guns, but could probably use an alternative means of hunting (bow).

I am less confidant in my preparations if we have to bug out. I have two small kids, and would hate to have to feed them on the go.

3.What you and your contact's opinion is on the 40% statistic;

Complete B.S. At least in my area (S. Jersey). This is the capital of the "rely on the gov to provide" mentality.

4.The number of people you asked (ask as many as you like).

I've talked with co-workers (@12) about it post-Katrina. Most agree that they need to prepare, but very few have done anything.
Old 9 October 2009, 15:13
Been There Done That

Less than 1%...

The 40% figure is BS. Of couse, it is a "statistic" and remember - "Figures don't lie, Liars figure".

I know what my neighbors state of preparedness is - I know thyat they will be knocking on my door when the shit hits the fan. It has already happened during blizzards. 0% of my neighbors are prepared for the type scenarios you've ask about. And, as I said, I doubt that less than 1% of the general populace is prepared for such scenarios.

I'm in a semi urban - outskirts part of a 200,000 + people city in the PNW.
Few people in the metro area have more than a weeks worth of food (2 weeks maybe if they ration from the get go...) on hand at any given time.

Few, if any, generators in my neighborhood, no one stockpiles any fuel (some folks have firewood, but not many here in the metro area, as the enviro-nazis but an end to the use of fireplaces burning wood in the city a few years ago...)

In the event of a doomsday scenario I feel that 90% of the poulation will be a casualty of their own failure to plan. The govt would assist until it breaks under the strain... I visited Argentina during their "troubles", and that was NOT a case of a disaster. If there had been the added issues of disease, famine, wounded - the recovery might never have happened. Somalia comes to mind...

Not to blow my horn (I don't have a helo loaded with jerky), but I have taken out insurance against this type of "accident" for my family:

My family is well set, we're good for 12 months food, water, med supplies etc. in house (assuming the natural gas still flows - if not we're good for 3 months with propane on hand.)

I assume the natural gas will quit and that the pumps at the local gas stations will quit without electricity, or will be taken over by civil authority.

Because I assume that we will have to leave the metro area as the civil situation deteriorates, we keep sufficient fuel on hand for both trucks to get way out of town. Rucksacks packed and ready to walk out if required (we use them regularly for hiking). All we plan on taking are primary and seconday weapons, the rucks, cash, and the meds that I have to rotate at the pharmacy every three years...

I have established cache sites 2 deep in the only three directions we'd travel and it is my daughter's task to navigate me to them while hiking so that we can service them once a year (so we have 6 caches to service each year). We keep 2 months food for 4 people in each cardinal direction cache + ammo, cold wx clothes, shelter material, clorox and basic med supplies. Our ultimate destination in each direction is already prepped and secure (cache site #2).

Is that over kill? Yes. But the caches were (and are) a vehicle to get my daughter and wife out into the woods, teach my daughter land nav (day & night) - and I had all this GI equipment that was just laying around anyway...

My total investment in security for a bug out or stay in place plan - less than $10 K. My every three year costs to replace/replenish/rotate the meds and food, about $3 K (about 1 K of that is the meds). So, I pay $1 K a year in self-insurance costs for a scenario that will likely never happen.

In return, 3 times a year my family spends a week in the woods, we eat Mountain House meals and enjoy campfires, my daughter gets to shoot her .22, the wife gets a work out with her primary and seconday weapon, and neither of the ladies I'm responsible for in this world worry that things can ever get so bad that they don't have a plan...

If you think about the costs involved: I've spent less per year than I do on auto insurance and the initial investment was less than the bass boat. Why more people don't buy this kind of insurance is beyond me.

Of course, I have to say that - I'm an old SERE guy...

Last edited by sixgun; 9 October 2009 at 15:18.
Old 9 October 2009, 15:29
Weaponized Pimphand

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-M-R View Post
We live in an apartment too but that doesn't mean you can't be prepared. Evac routes - do you know where they are and how to get out of the city? Shelters - do you know where they are and what to bring? Do you have pets? which shelters accept pets? Do you have a link up plan with a family member or close friend?

I am shocked at what people don't know and haven't thought about.
Good thread!
My main plan is "bug-in" for now. I do have evac routes set up, on foot or (best case) in a vehicle. The problem is I don't have anywhere to go once I'm clear of the city.

My folks are in florida, my brother is NOT prepared so he's out.

Karma is a bitch, and I am wet with her kisses
Old 9 October 2009, 15:32
Scotty's Mommy

I asked Chuck what he thought since he's who I'm relying to save me and his reply was that if 40% of the pop thinks they are prepared for anything they are lying.

Natural disaster - eg - hurricaine, black-out etc, etc He says we are good to go.

Nuclear Attack - best we could do would be two or three days but depending on location we are gong to die.

The Mexicans invade Miami - (depending on how organized they are) we are in pretty good shape.

I can't say I feel much better after getting his input.
Old 9 October 2009, 15:38
Confirmed User

I have a 72 hr grab and go kit with a tool box, ammunition, medicine, iodine tabs, stove, candles, lighters everywhere, first aid, and basic camping gear along with several blankets. I live in an apartment with my wife, as such, storage space is limited. We always have extra water, big box of granola bars, canned food on hand. One of the cars tends to have a gas tank full and both have water, granola bars, first aid kit, garbage bags, a multi tool, repair guides, an extra fuel container, jump cables, flash light, etc. The family home in Chicago has much more, but also more people in the area that would rely on support from the home.

I voted less than 1% in my immediate area, but if I consider my extended family members across the country, it would vary significantly. My cousins own convinience stores, as such, if shit hit the fan they would have immediate access to the basics (including their supply rooms).

Others would not be as prepared. Some friends barely have enough food for a day as they're working professionals that don't eat much at home, or aren't home, period.
Old 9 October 2009, 15:41
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-M-R View Post
I asked Chuck what he thought since he's who I'm relying to save me and his reply was that if 40% of the pop thinks they are prepared for anything they are lying.

Natural disaster - eg - hurricaine, black-out etc, etc He says we are good to go.

Nuclear Attack - best we could do would be two or three days but depending on location we are gong to die.

The Mexicans invade Miami - (depending on how organized they are) we are in pretty good shape.

I can't say I feel much better after getting his input.

I'm hoping I can gather more ammo before they reach MN. Now if the Canadians invade, I'm screwed. :)

Alex (and anyone else), if you can make it to my place you are welcome. I will need help with the animals, planting corn, harvesting it, and splitting wood (cutting too once I run out of gas for the chainsaw). The woodburner doesn't keep the upstairs real warm, but the basement can easily stay at 80+ all winter! I don't have a helo to fill with jerky, but we can make lots of pork jerky and store it in the silo or something.

"OK, thankfully my wife doesn't read SOCNET -- something to do with it being filled with likeminded, immature people. Fuck her." - SOTB
Old 9 October 2009, 15:46
?

I think with the amount of looting that would take place, those people depending on any KNOWN stockpile of processed food will be SOL. I have nothing to back this up, but I would bet we, as a country, would be out of food within weeks if everything shut down. Meaning Cub Foods, Walmart, and the others would be empty within a week and that food gone within a couple more. Leaving people to depend on their own stockpiles or their ability to gather their own food from nature (butchering animal, growing it, etc...).

Our new posting rules