Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

View Poll Results: What % of Friends/Family are Fully Prepared for Global Disaster (3-18 Month Survival)
Less than 1% 83 44.86%
1-10% 64 34.59%
10-20% 19 10.27%
20-30% 10 5.41%
Greater than 30% 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 October 2009, 15:53

Hurricane Katrina. nuff said.

Those people had a week to prepare or to get the fuck out.

I live in a small rural town in Iowa. Based on my observations, this town could be completely self sufficient. It's surrounded by fertile cropland and a good sized river runs by the edge of town. Deer, squirrel, and fish are abundant around here too.

The people of this country are too fucking spoiled and take everyfuckingthing for granted. "The govt is supposed to come and help me"
Old 9 October 2009, 15:54
Confirmed User

I live in Hawaii, on the Big Isle. 4028 sq. miles with a pop. of apprx 170K. Apart from the hotel industry folks, life here is basically blue collar/third world level with many farms and fishermen/hunters.

Water from tropic rain fall and aquifers. Cultural value system supports cooperative behavior. I'd say we're gtg for the long haul outside of being used as a pawn in a limited nuclear exchange.

aloha
Old 9 October 2009, 16:13
ORP

Guys (and CMR) this really is excellent feedback. Please keep it coming.

AND PLEASE REMEMBER TO COMMENT ON THE FOUR POINTS AS WELL AS VOTE IN THE POLL.

Please ask around 5 or 10 or more of your every day, Joe-average, non-survival nut friends, family and acquaintances.Then please answer the poll and leave anecdotal commentary detailing:<o></o>
<o></o>
1.What you voted for in the poll.<o></o>
<o></o>
2.You and your friend's level of preparedness, be as animated and creative as you like;<o></o>
<o></o>
3.What you and your contact's opinion is on the 40% statistic;<o></o>
<o></o>
4.The number of people you asked (
<!--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]--> <!--[if !supportLists]--> <!--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]--> <!--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->ask as many as you like).<o></o>

Thanks Guys and Gals, sincerely appreciated.
Old 9 October 2009, 16:36
Clan Stiýbhard (Stuart)..

I don't know exactly where I fall in percentage range.. but I would imagine it would be at or above 50%. Besides the material things - its the frame of mind that you must get in.. "My wife and I WILL survive and Ill do ANYTHING to ensure it" I'm armed to the teeth and have hundreds and hundreds of rounds for most of my weapons. My wife has her own weapon with ammunition too.. I'm good there. I was a knife & sword dealer.. I'm Definitely covered in the blades area. I have Ninja swords along with all kinds of different types of knives (at least 50+). I'm getting a reloader with various dies so I can reload allot of my stuff. I also try to keep extra black powder on hand and 5lbs of lead weight (to melt and cast .50 cal bullets).

Food - My wife and I can and store up our own vegetables that I grow. I had to expand my panty a couple weeks ago because I had nowhere to put the hundreds of jars of canned vegetables. I have a private lake in the woods behind my house that is FULL of fish, I'm the only one who fishes it. I have a 4 wheeler (new) and extra gas cans so I can at least get around on that if needed. I have extra rolls of fencing to cordon off the front of my property and secure the public access. I have 7 dogs (small, medium & one large breed) that have extremely good hearing and would alert us to intruders on the property (they've done it before). But, the big problem for us would be dog food. If things started going bad I would have to immediately get many extra bags plus as many other staples as possible.. and put them on a diet! LOL.

I have multiple Coleman stoves with 2 gas adapters to use LP gas .. along with an extra LP gas tank. I can use the small propane tanks you buy at the store too. Along with that I have cast iron skillets and pots including stove coffee pot.

I always have extra Flour, sugar and Rice and would immediately get more if a serious crisis erupted...before anyone else thought about it. I keep at least 5 containers of coffee in the pantry.. My wife is a dangerous woman without coffee. I have stocked up on medicines and materials for first aid. The prescription meds (wifes diabetes meds and heart meds) would be a problem.. unless I myself resorted to raiding Walgreens.. not a pleasant thought but I would do it quickly if I knew it had to be done. If that wasnt available there are also distribution centers near where I live. Having flour is good but you also have to know how to USE it to your benefit. My wife and I know how to bake bread, and our own butter and cheese. Besides, I do this anyway, every week I make white bread and a huge batch of fresh butter. I have the acreage to put at least ONE cow out if I can get my hands on one. My neighbors and I would definitely back each other up and help each other... he's a stand up guy (with guns too). There IS strength in numbers - but not TOO many or you cant feed everyone.. especially if THEY didn't prepare.

I have more than enough hand tools...I'm good to do whatever I need to do. Everyone I know said if the world went to hell.. they would be coming to my house.. Damn.. thats not a good thing!

1. I voted above 30%
2. If we can make 5-6 months then I can replant and restock our food supply (canned food). Game is abundant where I live for meat along with fish. My friends are less than 5% prepared.
3. I think the 40% figure is BULLSHIT. I dont know ANYONE - even in my family or my wife's family that is NEAR as prepared as I am. I would worry that I dont have enough even at my level.
4. 2 people, (2 friends).

Oh - Forgot my chickens. I have 9 chickens that lay at least 8 but usually 9 eggs every single day...and a rooster if I need to perpetuate the line.

Last edited by OldSwabbie; 9 October 2009 at 16:56.
Old 9 October 2009, 16:51
regular speed jerk, not a high speed jerk

Less than 1% Of friends and family.
I am good for maybe 30-45 days in my home. Dry and canned goods. Propane, cold weather gear, A pool that will act as my fresh water source, plus the ability to boil and filter the water. I have solar battery recharges, solar lanterns, a small generator, etc etc. The basics to live for a time frame measured in weeks NOT months or years.

With that said. If I expect this to go more than 1 or 2 weeks I am getting out of dodge... I keep 20-30 gallons of gas in my garage (rotated).
I would fill up the tank on 4x4, load up the dry goods, cold weather gear, weapons, etc and get to my place in wisconsin outside a town of about 5,000. Being to close to Chicago I expect that a major city would start burning down in 1-2 weeks without power and that would spread to the near 'burbs. I dont want to try to defend against that.
In wisconsin I keep some stuff (even more solar stuff) so I could trade (mostly ammo, and electricity) for some food.

Essentially I have 'bet the farm' on nothing stopping supply lines for more than 6-8 weeks, maybe 12 on the outside. That would be the longest we could go on our supplies (rationed) with some hunting, fishing, gathering and trading tossed in (should we get to Wisconsin). Beyond that... well its a world I dont want to imagine.

t10
Old 9 October 2009, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looon View Post

I live in a small rural town in Iowa. Based on my observations, this town could be completely self sufficient. It's surrounded by fertile cropland and a good sized river runs by the edge of town. Deer, squirrel, and fish are abundant around here too.

The people of this country are too fucking spoiled and take everyfuckingthing for granted. "The govt is supposed to come and help me"

1.Under 1%<o></o>
<o></o>
2.See my quote above<o></o>
<o></o>
3.Can't help here. I don't talk to anybody.<o></o>
<o></o>
4.Zero. Sorry.
Old 9 October 2009, 17:15
Scotty's Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSwabbie View Post

1. I voted above 30%
2. If we can make 5-6 months then I can replant and restock our food supply (canned food). Game is abundant where I live for meat along with fish. My friends are less than 5% prepared.
3. I think the 40% figure is BULLSHIT. I dont know ANYONE - even in my family or my wife's family that is NEAR as prepared as I am. I would worry that I dont have enough even at my level.
4. 2 people, (2 friends).

Oh - Forgot my chickens. I have 9 chickens that lay at least 8 but usually 9 eggs every single day...and a rooster if I need to perpetuate the line.
Personally I think you have it covered. However, if we were to be attacked with a nuke I think you have to consider all bets off when it comes to any livestock including chickens that are outside unless you are well clear of the blast area.

I've thought about this for years and years. I mean like since 1976 when Jimmy Carter got elected. I figured that guy was going to get us all killed. (Do I get cross thread points for this?)

I was truly shocked when Charlie said that in case of nuke attack we'd die! I figured he's an SF guy he'll know what we should do. He'll know how to get us to a safe area. He'll know how to take charge of survivors...the whole nine yards.

If it's a flood, tornado, hurricaine we are pretty good. Enemy invasion? We are in better shape than most. I trust Chuck to navigate through whatever comes along.

Nuke attack? How do you prepare for that? I've thought about this and don't want to think that I should just give up...my kids are going to die?!?! Nobody wants to think that but what are we supposed to do?
Old 9 October 2009, 19:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
...no internet.... Government and all Public Services have collapsed.
...without which...
Quote:
...GPS...
Is that satellite constellation 100% "fire-and-forget", hands-off, passive and completely autonomous in its stationkeeping capability? What level of remaining infrastructure is needed to keep it operating reliably during the period of the postulated emergency? Given the severity of the scenario, whether it's even still there becomes a valid question.

I have almanacs, sight reduction tables (plus a knowledge of spherical trig which renders the tables a convenience rather than a necessity), a small assortment of sextants (ranging from a rudmentary handheld to a couple of periscopic types), cross-staff, astrocompass and astrolabes, so I can live without GPS anyway.

Quote:
CB
I'll allow that this is an option....
Quote:
...Sat phone...
HF and manual Morse here, just in case someone else out there is thinking the same. Same observations re: GPS apply to the com sat constellation.
Old 9 October 2009, 19:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
1.What you voted for in the poll.
1-10%. I have talked about this before with friends and acquaintances. I live pretty much in a LDS stronghold. I think the number could be much higher and even over 40% in limited places here. Thatís the good part, the bad part is I live in an LDS stronghold and depending on how bad the collapse got I wonder if there would not be friction between LDS and non LDS. Its not like it hasnít happened before.

Quote:

2.You and your friend's level of preparedness, be as animated and creative as you like;
I think we could go close to 18 months here. I have three 600í wells two of which are artesian. Due to my wife and mother in law living in the sticks in Montana before, I would bet I have close to 6 months of canned food here now. Depending on timing we would have food for our horses for up to a year. I have a lot of old horses that would be put down and eaten in an extreme circumstance rather than see them starve. That would extend how long we could feed the good ones. So we would have transportation. My house is in a pretty good location and even though its stick built I have some pretty good means to harden it for at least small arms fire. So we have food, water, shelter, a fireplace, fire wood and of course guns and ammo. I think my biggest concern right now is there might be one or two trouble spot that need to go away for my safety here.

Quote:
3.What you and your contact's opinion is on the 40% statistic
Never heard that before so I will ask around, Like I said I think LDS much higher, everyone else much lower.

Quote:
4.The number of people you asked
Thanks Guys and Gals, sincerely appreciated.
Maybe 15 people or so over the last couple of years since I really paid attention to this. Itís not like I have a lot of friend outside of a very certain group and itís not really a subject I would broach unless I had a feel that the other person might be interested in similar stuff. My feelings for folks that donít take responsibility for their own safety is they get what they deserve.
Old 9 October 2009, 19:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSwabbie View Post
I. I keep at least 5 containers of coffee in the pantry.. [I]My wife is a dangerous woman without coffee.
Unroasted coffee beans will keep for a long long time. Hand grinder and a simple home roaster on a fire and we can still be civilized.
Old 9 October 2009, 20:06
Scotty's Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looon View Post

I live in a small rural town in Iowa. Based on my observations, this town could be completely self sufficient.
You can't compare Iowans to the people of New Orleans. I was born in Iowa. My mom's sisters live there. Totally different mindset between the MidWest and the Gulf Coast.

My brother-in-law worked in New Orleans during Katrina and in Iowa during the flooding there. It's simply two different animals. It's not a survivalist thing. It's just a difference between knowing the worst can happen and believing the worst can happen.
Old 9 October 2009, 20:20
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
- 1-10%

Quote:
2.You and your friend's level of preparedness, be as animated and creative as you like
Family in Missouri/KS/Iowa/IL....? Zip! Me...? Several Cases of MREs and Water stocked in the corner of my condo. 2 pistols with plenty of ammo, 1 shotgun with plenty of ammo, 1 AR-15 with plenty of Ammo, and looking at getting a bow/arrow set.....just in case. Candles, batteries, meds, and some other can/dry food are also stocked up on.

I keep thinking about getting a storage shed out here and stashing it all there. Some place easy to get to from the condo and work.

Quote:
3.What you and your contact's opinion is on the 40% statistic
Complete and utter B.S.

Quote:
4.The number of people you asked (ask as many as you like).
Did a DHS Class in DC before I moved out here and the question was raised by the instructor (former DC FF). Myself and a Retired Navy Fly-Boy were the only two out of 50 people that had anything remotely planned out to get the hell out of the AO and had food/water/protection options.... So....

Last edited by Bearcat06; 9 October 2009 at 20:25.
Old 9 October 2009, 20:59
True Believer

Quote:
1-10%.

Quote:
2.You and your friend's level of preparedness, be as animated and creative as you like;
I'm honestly probably only about 10-20% prepared. I know a lot of the things that need to be done, so that's an advantage, but the knowledge is useless without actually doing it. My roommate and I have enough non-perishable food for probably a few weeks, but that's about it. I need to stock up on water, right now the in-home water supply would probably be whatever we can fill up at the onset. Plenty of .223 and 12ga ammo, but could use more .308, .30-06, and pistol.

There are plenty of freshwater sources around me (rivers, lakes, etc), but that's assuming they aren't contaminated. Plenty of game to be had, and I can fish (though I probably need to re-supply my tackle). Oregon has plenty of opportunities for living off the land, and I have several books and manuals that would aid in that event, though that wouldn't be the ideal situation.

If we're talking long-term (years, rather than weeks) I think my first stop would be to a pet store to buy up all the rabbits I could in a 1:4 ratio of male:female. Rabbits have a gestation period of about a month, can breed again a month later, and the babies are food-ready after about 10-14 weeks from what I understand.

Of course, realistically in any of those scenarios I would have to go to work if I wasn't there already, so my options would be limited somewhat. I'm not one to quit in a time when you're needed most so I can go live as a hobbit in the woods. No family in the area, so that's an issue I don't have to deal with right now.

Like most here probably, I have some friends and family that would probably be good to go, and others that would have a very tough time.

Quote:
3.What you and your contact's opinion is on the 40% statistic;
I think past disasters we've had in this country clearly point out that statistic is grossly over-stated.

Quote:
4.The number of people you asked
Only 2, but I've discussed these types of things with others in the past.

Challenges: I expected times like this- But I never thought they'd be so bad, so long, and so frequent.
Old 9 October 2009, 21:36
Confirmed User

1. 10-20% (being optimistic)

2. For myself, I live in cattle country, (yes, there are real ranches here) have guns & ammo, wife & kids can shoot and bow hunt. (son is Army bound).

Friends and co-workers are pretty sturdy folks hunting/fishing wise. One old grog has a freakin bunker with .50 cal. Too bad he lives on a volcanic slope in south Kona that Nat'l Geographic reports is due to slide into the ocean not if but when.

3. 40%!! phht..they're dreamin

4. at least about ten others. this actually has been a current topic because of the recent tsunami alerts.

aloha
Old 9 October 2009, 22:20
Authorized Personnel

I don't know anybody, friends or relatives, that's ready to go for 3 months.

I do have a generator, gas, water, food for two weeks and enough fire power to keep the zombies away. This is prep for a hurricane, not because of any fears of other impending doom.
Old 9 October 2009, 22:28
Scotty's Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
I don't know anybody, friends or relatives, that's ready to go for 3 months.

I do have a generator, gas, water, food for two weeks and enough fire power to keep the zombies away. This is prep for a hurricane, not because of any fears of other impending doom.
Well, no kiddin. You live in FL. Nobody there, even the folks who did Andrew, think they have any thing to worry about.

I should send you the SOC emergency plan. They gave me a block of instruction but the long and short of it is I am on my own. SOC Sr Chief is good to go. His family? not so much.

It's ok since he helped me make an alternative plan but I have to tell you the Military plan? Yeah, right! That'll work but not on this planet!
Old 9 October 2009, 22:48
Confirmed User

Being a dialysis patient, i would be totally fucked. This has gone through my head ever since I was diagnosed with kidney failure. Actually, I think about this every day. I've instructed my wife to go to my mom's ranch. She's weapon savvy enough for a mom. She has access to my multiple glocks and long guns. The thought of not being able to protect my wife and daughter is really getting to me. All I could hope for is that my family would survive and defend against any threat. On a lighter note. Between my house and mom's pad, we have enough water and food for a couple of months.
Old 9 October 2009, 22:49
I aim to misbehave

Fairly well-stocked bugout bag, lots of cash on-hand (Took $100.00 cash from every paycheck since the day I shipped to boot camp, and put it in a safe...it would probably remain effective for a while, even if all infrastructure and government were gone. People are just too used to cash meaning something.) Planned evac route to a friend's farm. Bulk ammo for the .45 and the long gun. Do not have bulk supplies of food, due to space limitations, though I'm going to change that soon, as I'm getting a storage building. Supplies on-hand might feed the wife and I for a month, definitely no longer.

Friend's farm is fairly self-sufficient, growing enough food to feed his family AND mine, and lay in supplies for the winter. Recently bought an old wood-burning stove, and stashed it at said farm until I buy a house of my own.

To my mind, the 3 most difficult things would be:
1) getting out of the city. All major arteries would probably be blocked off quickly by people fleeing the area.
2) Finding meat. Farm grows lots of veggies, but I am not too sure if they grow enough protein rich foods to keep you going.
3) Commo. Given my background, I SHOULD have some kind of radio, but I don't. I'll have to rectify that situation.

While true:
Continue
Old 9 October 2009, 23:36
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-M-R View Post
Well, no kiddin. You live in FL. Nobody there, even the folks who did Andrew, think they have any thing to worry about.

We took Hurricane Charlie head on. FEMA, insurance adjusters, Troops, power trucks from 5 states and assorted volunteers descended on Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda with a vengeance. Between them and an attitude much different than those in New Orleans, we bounced back, neighbor helping neighbor works.

We will only allow small disasters down here in the swamp.
Old 9 October 2009, 23:50
Nec Aspera Terrent

I hope you don't mind a Canuck responding to this thread. If so, I apologize and just pass me over.

I answered 20-30% in the poll. When I put that down, I was thinking only of my friends. Don't have many real ones, and thankfully those I do, are mostly intelligent or at least sensible, plus they also have supplies just in-case it's needed. Two are country boys as well, that can be helpful, IMO.

As for family? I don't have a hope in hell for any of them, to be honest. Most are afraid of mud, terrified of knives, you get the idea, and they certainly are adverse to the idea of camping, the majority. The others are in poor health or have not lifted a weight since high school gym class.

As for myself, I'd like to think I'm a bit better prepared. The house has several gas lanterns, fuel, a large supply of bottled water and dried/canned food. I also keep a supply of freeze-dried meals for camping, or in-case shit does hit the fan.

I also keep two well-equipped and updated first aid kits in my home. One follows me everywhere I go with a backpack while the other one sits on a shelf in my bedroom.

The closet also has two compasses, GPS unit, glowsticks, a couple boxes of batteries and flashlights, decent knives, and snivel stuff like Pepto Bismol and Advil. Oh, and plenty of outdoor/camping clothing for all seasons.

Unfortunately, I do not currently own a firearm, and my biggest and baddest killers are an aluminum baseball bat, along with a SOG fixed blade and folder. I do intend on buying an M14, and later a 1911 for target shooting, so hopefully if it does go FUBAR, I have at least one or the other.

I have made plans with my three closest friends who all live within a mile of me to use my home as a meeting point. I'll supply them with whatever I can spare that they may lack, and plan a way out of the city towards the rural country side. If we can travel a hundred miles, we'll be able to live off a friend's farm.

Thankfully, we also live nearby a large ravine system that means we can bypass the chaos on the streets with relatively little trouble, and go in any direction we choose in the city and out of it.

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."

Last edited by Fofo; 9 October 2009 at 23:56. Reason: Spelling.

Our new posting rules