Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

View Poll Results: What % of Friends/Family are Fully Prepared for Global Disaster (3-18 Month Survival)
Less than 1% 83 44.86%
1-10% 64 34.59%
10-20% 19 10.27%
20-30% 10 5.41%
Greater than 30% 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 March 2018, 20:36
Authorized Personnel

Mingo Kane is your man. I called him when I was setting my rig up to keep from cooking myself. He actually knows what he's talking about. I know just enough to get you scorched.
Old 28 March 2018, 21:00
Been There Done That

sounds good. Thanks!
Old 27 April 2018, 17:04
Old Scroll

The Surprisingly Solid Mathematical Case of the Tin Foil Hat Gun Prepper, or, “Who Needs an AR-15 Anyway?” on Medium dot com

A surprisingly entertaining and accurate analysis of just why in hell a prepper needs to keep a firearm. Good short read.

Note that as we've covered here before, this author mentions the unethical prepper, who doesn't put up any food, but rather trusts on his guns to feed him by preying on the weak in the event of an event.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 27 April 2018, 17:47
Authorized Personnel

Pretty good points all the way around. What he failed to factor is "feel". We feel safer with guns, whether we need them or not. Lefties "feel" unsafe with guns around. A fundamental difference that I really don't see a solution too.

Most of us live in an OODA loop world. The anti-gunners live in a OOFDA world.

I have never been one to hide guns in the ground, but I'm starting to think maybe that should be part of my prep.
Old 27 April 2018, 18:20
Old Scroll

I'm thinking you are probably right. It grates like a chicken bone going down sideways, but having at least one good gun and ammo stashed, and I mean STASHED, is an insurance policy that has both a low premium and deductible, but potentially a very high payout in the event of a claim.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 27 April 2018, 18:27
Authorized Personnel

Yeah, that rubs me the wrong way too, but I agree, it's a low cost policy. I don't think we're there just yet, but I used to think guys who did that were wack jobs. Now, not so much.

Our new posting rules