SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 17 June 2018, 10:43

NPSS medic - WPSII

Gentlemen, I am looking to speak with someone who has held this position before or who has first-hand knowledge of its required duties.

At the risk of disclosing my identity, I'll say that I was offered by a recruiter to run my bio for an NPSS medic position at the embassy in Afghan. I'm interested in the position and believe the pay is fair for the op tempo. From the info I've received, it sounds like an aid station position, 6/1 12 hour days.

My questions are as followed:

Is there a medical director in the country, and or are there canned protocols that the medics follow?

Are their opportunities to pursue education, ie: good enough wifi to support classes?

What is the general quality of life; gym, food, lodging?

Finally, I'm pretty ignorant to contract work, is the Afghan tax still a thing? I've read conflicting information.
Old 17 June 2018, 21:44

I can't answer the medical question. Wifi is perfectly fine, I'm currently taking my masters. If you were in the military, quality of life is much better. If not, it may suck a little but you'll get used to it pretty quick. Some spots are better than others, but none are all terrible. Gym's will be decent wherever you go.

And yes, the Afghan tax is a thing, and it's a big thing over here. A lot of guys left on WPS 2 when it got imposed, but it will go dollar for dollar against your federal. It's 20% and your company will take it out of your check.
Old 18 June 2018, 01:16
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm410 View Post
A lot of guys left on WPS 2 when it got imposed, but it will go dollar for dollar against your federal. It's 20% and your company will take it out of your check.
IIRC, IRS has now decided that if you claim that, you can't also claim the 330/35 exemption, whereby the first $97K or so of your income is tax free. So you have a choice between just forking over 20% and getting credit for that, or being (U.S.) tax free for the majority of what you make in a year and eating that 20%. (Someone please correct me if I've got this wrong).

The Iraqi tax was one of the reasons I left WPS after 4 years, between that and declining rates of pay. DoS could have told both the Iraqi's and the Afghani's to pound sand, and didn't. Of course THEY don't pay taxes on what they make while in country.....

"True love knows the real thing, baby
There's nowhere to hide
It hears every word you never say
And sees through every lie"
Old 18 June 2018, 03:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
IIRC, IRS has now decided that if you claim that, you can't also claim the 330/35 exemption, whereby the first $97K or so of your income is tax free. So you have a choice between just forking over 20% and getting credit for that, or being (U.S.) tax free for the majority of what you make in a year and eating that 20%. (Someone please correct me if I've got this wrong).

The Iraqi tax was one of the reasons I left WPS after 4 years, between that and declining rates of pay. DoS could have told both the Iraqi's and the Afghani's to pound sand, and didn't. Of course THEY don't pay taxes on what they make while in country.....
Iíve got a dog so I have to come back every rotation regardless. I heard some congressmen are interested in this whole tax fiasco, it just hasnít gotten much traction yet. I donít understand how a country can tax employees on US soil (embassy)
Old 18 June 2018, 04:31
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm410 View Post
I donít understand how a country can tax employees on US soil (embassy)
Just a guess and there are better people here to answer that than I, but it occurs that perhaps the seeds of that were sown when DoS stopped issuing black passports to those who protect them, leaving them open to being required to obtain a work permit to be in the country?

"True love knows the real thing, baby
There's nowhere to hide
It hears every word you never say
And sees through every lie"
Old 18 June 2018, 04:37

Just for the record US Embassies are not considered US soil. And we are subject to Afgan law and have to obtain work permits and entry visa's to work in this country.
Old 18 June 2018, 04:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicFL View Post
Just for the record US Embassies are not considered US soil. And we are subject to Afgan law and have to obtain work permits and entry visa's to work in this country.
You are right! However, do we tax an employees from foreign embassy's on our soil? I don't know, I legitimately asking.
Old 18 June 2018, 04:56

^and that is what happens when you send messages off your phone. Apparently I'm worthless without spell check.
Old 18 June 2018, 07:59

Thank you all for the replies. I've got some PMs that were right on the money for what I was looking for.
Old 13 July 2018, 04:56

Anybody working a NPSS contract in the Baghdad Embassy?
Old 13 July 2018, 04:58
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateboardP View Post
Anybody working a NPSS contract in the Baghdad Embassy?
I found the best place for you.

Grow from there.

http://socnet.com/showthread.php?p=1...post1058736292

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 19 July 2018, 04:29

I apologize for being rude. Hey everyone, I'm Perry and I'm a recently cleared DoD contractor working on 'road warrior' gigs. I've just applied for a WPS contract. Any info is greatly appreciated!
Old 19 July 2018, 06:33
Confirmed User

^Have you done any searching on here yet?

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 25 July 2018, 05:19

Yeah, but most of the posts pertain to PSS and not N-PSS.

Our new posting rules