SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 3 January 2019, 10:08
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai_Ranger View Post
Yes, those rounds needed to be spin armed. But I was still nervous jumping it exposed with the "pointy end" sticking out of my rucksack and being the first thing to hit the runway when I lowered my ruck. Didn't know if it would go off when the crystals on the tip breaks as it smacked onto the runway.
I would have tried to do something like we did for the 60mm Baseplate and rig them horizontal - But I was at the Ranch in Cusseta Hahahahaha!
Old 5 January 2019, 11:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
That got me thinking. I had 2, 60mm mortar rds to drop off at the Co Hq's when summoned. Several thermite grenades, smoke grenades, Claymore, C-4, 1 extra bandoleer of 5.56, a little Plano tackle box with common M-60 fix em up parts (I added to that kit the next morning along with a couple Browning Hi Powers from the PDF Arms Room) Basic load for an M2 and 4 frags. 2 t-shirts, socks and 1 towel. Also some medical stuff...I think a couple IV's. It was a heavy sum a bitch to hang out the door with. Oh yeah, PVS-7's, batteries, a Motorola, poncho and a few other miscellaneous things.

Add water weight cause it was raining and near sleet conditions at HAAF when we took off. Was soaking wet. It kinda felt good when the load master opened the jump doors and that warm tropical air came in. Problem was it fogged up my nvg's and all optics.

I had the DRCO on my A/C relaying Intel updates...which was good and bad. Some of his Intel I would have just as not known. Like a ZSU-23/4 being near my AA. I really didn't to need to hear that. There wasn't one afterall.
Can't remember who my Jumpmaster was but we got to the PLF stand and it was surrounded by water, I mean we were already wet and I figured this was going to suck. He said "Rangers, fuck it, we ain't doing them". Was one of the best things I had heard at the time.

Speaking of intel, AF guy was yelling as we got close "they know we are coming, we've been compromised, they are drawing small arms and grenades". I was thinking.." I don't need to hear this shit, it's not like they won't figure it out when that 500lb bomb hits or when the AC130 starts raining death". Could never figure out what the purpose was in that, I mean we were jumping regardless.

About all the ammo, if you recall General Downing skinned us up in the Armstrong State auditorium when he came to town. Said, there was a reason why basic load was basic load and we were fools to carry so much shit.

And speaking of the WAD. When we were awaiting follow on, there was some looting going on just on the other side of the fence. One of the Spanish speaking Asians ( weirdest thing I had ever encountered at the time), was locked up in his store and the locals were trying to rip the doors off. He had some pistol he would fire and they would scatter. Well at one point, some dude with an AK is seen roaming around. My buddy Deem was one of the lucky guys who jumped in and IMT'ed with a bolt action rifle! M24's were the new toy and sniper qualifed jumped them in.

Well he says... I'm going to fire a warning shot over their heads before they loot the place. I was like, well.. I'm not so sure thats the best idea, but your the Squad leader. So he does.. they disperse. Radio's start going nuts and here comes Cpt. Allyn, says "hey, they are outside the airfield, knock that shit off". Well suddenly, here comes Buck Kernan, pretty much says the same thing. And like shit you can't make up, here comes the WAD.. "what the hell is going on over here". Deem tells the story. WAD says "he had an AK?" Deem says "yes,sir". WAD replied.. "next time kill him then we can get the fuck home faster" and drove off.

One of those surreal moments.
Old 7 January 2019, 10:00
Been There Done That

So... I decided to fact check myself, old age blurs the memories sometimes.

Tracked down Ranger Deem who I have not spoken to in 20 years. I like my version much better but Downing came over the radio and asked what was going on over our side of the airfield. Cpt. Allyn responded with "all good sir, just Sgt. Deem wanting to shoot at civilians". To which it was asked if they were armed. "Roger, that".. So he responds with " maybe if we kill them, they will stop carrying weapons".

At which time the rest of the brass dispersed and left us to our own shennanigans.
Old 8 January 2019, 19:07
Been There Done That

Was Maffey a Company Cdr then? Mark Ritter had A Co. Good man. Maffey was later my Bn Cmdr in the 3/327th.

I had 4 Co Cmdrs while in A Co.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 9 January 2019, 10:04
Been There Done That

@1RiserSlip

Not unless it was HHC. Ritter, Kurt Fuller had B.Co I'm pretty sure, Danny Allyn had us knuckleheads in C.Co
Old 10 January 2019, 08:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Rhodes - another blast from the past name, cool.
Me too. Airborne school and RIP with him. I love these threads.

Our new posting rules