SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 10 January 2019, 20:16
Been There Done That

Bone Broth and/or 5:2 plans?

Anyone try this or doing? Eat healthy/paleo 5 days a week, then on two non-consecutive days of the week do intermittent fasting by only drinking several cups of bone broth.

Think will try it out. I do like a nice hot cup of bone broth, especially in this cold weather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10 January 2019, 20:19
The atomic zit

I like bone marrow.

I would scoop it out with my pinky finger whenever we had slided country ham bone in...

ETA: There are enough hunters on this website that you could have a metric shit ton of hooved arms and legs to make a proper broth.

Last edited by Stretch; 10 January 2019 at 20:27.
Old 10 January 2019, 21:50
Confirmed User

I regularly do the "Warrior Diet" intermittent fasting, in cycles of 6-8 weeks. I.e. - I do the daily intermittent fasting for that 6-8 weeks, then go back to "normal" eating for about the same duration, then back to the fasting. I am not super strict about this schedule, but that's how it usually plays out on average over time. When I am doing the non-fasting cycle, I still try to do a 36-48 hour fast once per month.

For me, this version of the intermittent fasting gives me more mental clarity during the day - and gives you that "reward" meal at the end of the day - something to look forward to. I have not tried the cycle you suggest - maybe I will give that one a try.

Btw, I was originally put off by the "Warrior Diet" book, because of the name. However, several friends did it and loved it, and convinced me to try it. The research and theory within the book are pretty compelling.

Regarding bone broth - I love that stuff.
Old 11 January 2019, 08:01
Sardonic Fattist

I make a lot of bone broth. Beef, pork, chicken, whatever, I'm not fussy, it all gets chucked in the pot. The freezer is stocked up. The wife tends to consume most of it though, having some every day.

I can't do anything in moderation so my version of fasting etc is a bit more spartan than what you proposed for yourself. Keto OMAD with 1-2 days a week wet fasting (no food just water). My bone broth gets consumed during a normal meal window.

The only flexibility in my system is I occassionally spread my one meal a day into longer eating windows up to maximum 6 hours if I feel a need. If I do extend to 6 hours or if I'm concerned that I may have exceeded my carb allowance then I follow the next day with a fast.
My only cheat is every day starts with butter/coconut oil coffee but it doesn't reflect an insulin spike so no harm done.

I reckon I'm healthier now than I've ever been. A couple of years ago I had one foot in the grave and now I probably still have one foot in the grave but it does look and feel like it

Last edited by Soutpiel; 11 January 2019 at 08:06.
Old 11 January 2019, 08:42
Been There Done That

Bone broth. Jesus guys...save it for SHTF scenarios.

I fast while I'm sleeping.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 11 January 2019, 09:31
Administrator

I think people should just eat and skip "diet" plans. You become a slave to it much like the clown bodybuilders who carry food around so they can have 5 meals a day. (Yes I think the 5 or whatever meal concept is stupid too and not needed in case anyone was wondering)
Old 11 January 2019, 12:01
BTDT

Amen. "It'll stoke your metabolic furnace!" Uh, no it doesn't.

LP - here's what I learned from living in this shit almost 16/7 for the last, going on 5 years now - 99% of it is re-hashed/re-branded basic shit that everybody already knows works - but they want your money to tell it to you again.

99% of fat loss/muscle gain supplements are BS snake oil, that do nothing. Oh, wait, I was wrong - some may actually help you lose/gain 0.0000000000000000000001% fat/muscle so they aren't "worthless", just $50 a month

Instant Coffee and Creatine (literally pennies/day) are the only things you need, if you need anything at all.

Shop the perimeter of the store, go down an aisle or two for rice, nuts, canned vegetables, etc - and train sensibly with cardio and strength/endurance.

Combine that with not "going nuts" with food "often" and in a year you will be amazed. Nobody has patience anymore - consistency is real key.
Old 11 January 2019, 12:56
Been There Done That

One thing I like about the bone broth and been doing it this last week, is just helping me break a bad habit. Having a big meal in the evening. Instead been having one to two cups of bone broth. Get 10-20 G protein, all natural. And don't feel bloated and sleep better. And curbs that appetite for a late night meal. Make me feel full.

The callogen in the bone broth is suppose to pretty good as well for you. Then have good heathy breakfast (eggs and fruit) and good lunch (fish or chicken usually with plenty of vegetables).

Still not sold on the intermetint fasting. Ready all the positive things people say, but seems to me if you are working out/active the last thing you want to do is fast. Not have the nutrients/protein for body to repair.

Old 11 January 2019, 13:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Amen. "It'll stoke your metabolic furnace!" Uh, no it doesn't.

LP - here's what I learned from living in this shit almost 16/7 for the last, going on 5 years now - 99% of it is re-hashed/re-branded basic shit that everybody already knows works - but they want your money to tell it to you again.

99% of fat loss/muscle gain supplements are BS snake oil, that do nothing. Oh, wait, I was wrong - some may actually help you lose/gain 0.0000000000000000000001% fat/muscle so they aren't "worthless", just $50 a month

Instant Coffee and Creatine (literally pennies/day) are the only things you need, if you need anything at all.

Shop the perimeter of the store, go down an aisle or two for rice, nuts, canned vegetables, etc - and train sensibly with cardio and strength/endurance.

Combine that with not "going nuts" with food "often" and in a year you will be amazed. Nobody has patience anymore - consistency is real key.
Don't forget the T shot.

Old 11 January 2019, 13:30
Confirmed User

As a follow on point - Intermittent Fasting (e.g. warrior diet) is much more about when to eat (and why) than it is about what to eat. All the other threads that discuss what to eat still apply.
Old 11 January 2019, 13:41
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Don't forget the T shot.
I went from 300lbs to 200lbs when my T was 300ng/dl - there's a lot of non-science in the belief of how much it matters in that aspect. Don't get me wrong, it improves everything, but at physiological levels, I think it's used as an excuse not to try. It's all total calories in vs energy out for whatever your goal is.

I.F. is fine, I do it - but not because it is magic - I just am not hungry in the AM. It's an energy control tool. If you like it, do it. If you don't like it, don't do it. At the end of a year you won't be able to tell a difference between two identical twins who use different, but energy equated eating methods.

Broth is fine - it isn't bad. But it isn't a complete protein, don't use it as a large portion of your protein - meat, fish, eggs, and dairy for that. The Collagen in it *is* good for joints - there is good research on that - take it with about 250mg Vitamin C. For god sake, don't pay for packets of it - go to Walmart and get 'Sam's Choice' Beef or Chicken Bone Broth.

If it works for you, do it - consistently.
Old 11 January 2019, 14:30
Administrator

LP,
If you're feeling bloated after eating dinner, you need to fix your gut, not switch to bone broth.

Root cause analysis is not a concept that only applies to mechanical failures.

Our new posting rules