Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > ARSOF Recruitment and Prep

Old 24 February 2015, 17:51
NKDA

160th Medic Recruiting

I’ve been looking at trying to get back in and want to go to 160th as a Flight Medic - and I’ve got a couple of questions. I’ve dug around quite a bit on the internet researching this and found info that is all over the place so any direct help would be appreciated.

Note: I’ve attempted to contact 160th Recruiting twice to no avail. I will continue to attempt to make contact but would appreciate y’alls weigh-in as well so I have a good baseline of experienced knowledge.

Question 1: Can prior service apply directly to 160th? Or must one go through a regular local Army recruiter, re-enlist in regular Army, and then apply to 160th?

Question 2: I was medically separated with a Permanent Profile 3 - P - C. I have since had surgery to correct the issue. The issue has been completely resolved and I have been medically cleared/released by civilian physicians. Do I have any shot at getting back in (aka my Profile being changed now that I have had surgery)? I’m healthy and maintain a Crossfit-style physical fitness regimen (Current APFT ~280-290. Still working to push my run to get 300).

Any anecdotal experience and/or citations to regs would be greatly appreciated.
Old 24 February 2015, 18:14
BTDT

So you've called them and they have not returned your call, or did you drop some E-mails?

Don't leave any message detailing "issues". You can explain that once you make contact. They do travel to recruit so be the sneaky wheel.

Just my .02

"Immature jackoff/asshole/agitator"

"I can only say I'm sorry so many times and mean it" Homer Simpson
Old 24 February 2015, 18:21
Been There Done That

I'd call the Regt (used to be 800-SOA-REGT) & get the # for the Regt Aid Station. Connect with tbe senior medic & lay out your desires. Let him guide you to the Recruiters - if he wants you he can at least get them to call you...
Old 24 February 2015, 18:22
Been There Done That

Did you attempt to contact the recruiters located at Campbell? If so, see the second line.

Or the recruiters that are part of the SORB? If not, do this. The guys at Campbell are pretty damn busy.

http://www.sorbrecruiting.com/160TH.htm

There is also a contacts page broken down by region, use that to contact the relevant POC.

If you still have not heard anything after doing the above, post here.
Old 24 February 2015, 18:53
NKDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highspeed160th View Post
So you've called them and they have not returned your call, or did you drop some E-mails?

Don't leave any message detailing "issues". You can explain that once you make contact. They do travel to recruit so be the sneaky wheel.

Just my .02
Called and emailed SORB at Ft. Campbell and Ft. Stewart. Didn't leave voicemails though. Hoping to catch someone on the fly.

I may have put too much info in my emails. I will check fire on that and attempt alternative approaches as advised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
I'd call the Regt (used to be 800-SOA-REGT) & get the # for the Regt Aid Station. Connect with tbe senior medic & lay out your desires. Let him guide you to the Recruiters - if he wants you he can at least get them to call you...
Done. Thanks for that. 1-800-SOA-REGT is still active. They passed on the number for the Regimental Aid Station. RAS phone rang out. I'll try again tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Did you attempt to contact the recruiters located at Campbell?
Yes.
Old 24 February 2015, 19:52
Been There Done That

If you haven't already, you may get some benefit from contacting a Big Army recruiter as they would likely know the latest accessions information, i.e. if a prior service individual can get a contract for the 160th, SOCM, Airborne school, etc.

There very well may be some limiting factor that the 160th medics aren't tracking.
Old 24 February 2015, 20:21
Preparing to defend

T.T. is spot on. First of all will they let you back in? And if so, will they let you back in with any medical MOS? These are draw down days, and times are lean. Hope I'm wron. I am rootin' for ya!
Old 24 February 2015, 20:50
Been There Done That

If no assist or response based on your recent emails/phone calls, you can PM me with your info/contact number. I'll call the SORB CSM and ask for a good POC in your area and get you linked up. I briefed the SORB and had a sidebar with the SORB BC and CSM today. I don't mind calling in an assist to get you some answers.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 24 February 2015, 22:44
NKDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
First of all will they let you back in? And if so, will they let you back in with any medical MOS?
From my own research (in conjunction with that of a military attorney that I hired to help me out), according to AR 40–501 it would appear that I am now eligible for re-entry (the reg requires 2 years post-surgery with no issues, which I have just met).

It would also appear that 68W is a critical MOS eligible for prior service accession.

My biggest concern (and my attorney's as well - he doesn't know the specific answer), is if my "Permanent Profile" can be revised now that I've been out, had surgery, am GTG, and want to get back in to a unit with specific Profile requirements. His thought is that this decision lays only with a military physician and no one else.

These intricate issues are why I have been attempting to go straight to the source (160th SOAR) for insight rather than get the run-around from my local recruiter who most likely doesn't know the answers. Plus, I'd love to find an SOF-friendly MEPS doc that would be willing to take a look at my case and reconsider my Profile.......

I want to re-enlist solely to go 160th SOAR and take care of gunfighters, but if it's not possible to get my Profile upgraded to meet ARSOF standards, I'm going to chase becoming a Health Care Administration officer (I have a Masters in that field and I've also been accepted into a DrPH program). Preference is definitely for 160th SOAR as a 68W though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
If no assist or response based on your recent emails/phone calls, you can PM me with your info/contact number. I'll call the SORB CSM and ask for a good POC in your area and get you linked up. I briefed the SORB and had a sidebar with the SORB BC and CSM today. I don't mind calling in an assist to get you some answers.
PM inbound.

Very much appreciated.

The long arm of SOCNET strikes again.

Last edited by O_Pos; 24 February 2015 at 22:58. Reason: Spelling/Grammar
Old 25 February 2015, 05:00
In Vino Veritas

Thumbs up

It sounds like you've done your home work, good luck!
Old 4 March 2015, 19:58
NKDA

Still working this but did find out one thing regarding "Permanent Profiles" - just in case anyone else finds themself in a similar situation:

Quote:
"Permanent profiles may be amended (following the correct procedure) at any time if clinically indicated and will automatically be reviewed and verified by the privileged provider at the time of a Soldier’s periodic health assessment or other medical examination"

"When a permanent '3' or '4' profile is changed to a permanent '1' or '2' the change requires the signatures of 2 profiling officers, one of which is a physician approving authority."

Last edited by O_Pos; 4 March 2015 at 20:05.
Old 31 January 2017, 10:47
NKDA

Well almost 2 years since starting this thread, I finally have an official board decision on paper in hand that says I'm eligible for re-entry with a medical waiver.

Stark reminder of how slow the system moves. Hahaha. But hey, at least it moved.

Due to the timespan in between, my life has taken a little bit of a different course in that I just finished classes for my doctorate and am interested in pursuing a commissioned opportunity. As such, will be ending this thread and starting another in the appropriate area.

Thank you to all of those that helped out. 'Merica.
Old 31 January 2017, 13:02
Confirmed User

Congrats...and good luck on your future endeavors.
Old 2 February 2017, 13:48
Preparing to defend

Congratulations! Well earned.
Old 10 February 2017, 18:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Pos View Post
Well almost 2 years since starting this thread, I finally have an official board decision on paper in hand that says I'm eligible for re-entry with a medical waiver.

Stark reminder of how slow the system moves. Hahaha. But hey, at least it moved.

Due to the timespan in between, my life has taken a little bit of a different course in that I just finished classes for my doctorate and am interested in pursuing a commissioned opportunity. As such, will be ending this thread and starting another in the appropriate area.

Thank you to all of those that helped out. 'Merica.
Outstanding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our new posting rules