Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 24 March 2017, 21:51

Poser Check

Gentlemen, have a gentleman by the name of John Siler Jr claiming Ranger status, classmate says he moved to another state for around 5 years but now says he joined the Army during that time and became a Ranger, just having a hard time believing him as he hangs with a verified SEAL poser. If anyone could help verify if he was a Ranger, I would appreciate it very much.
Old 25 March 2017, 01:12
Administrator

Need more than that.

When?

Which BN?

Tell us everything you know that he has told you.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 25 March 2017, 11:19

Time frame is 1988-1993, claims service in Iraq, not much other info, it's just strange that he moves to another state after high school then shows up in his home town 5 years later stating he joined the Army and became a Ranger during this time. Doesn't really brag about anything he did in Army other than the Ranger claim.
Old 25 March 2017, 12:55
Unemployed Stunt Double

Find out what company and battalion he is claiming, and what constitutes "service in Iraq." Is that combat service in Iraq with an element of 75th during Operation Desert Sandbox?
Old 25 March 2017, 13:05
Verified SOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by osupsitolpete View Post
Time frame is 1988-1993, claims service in Iraq, not much other info, it's just strange that he moves to another state after high school then shows up in his home town 5 years later stating he joined the Army and became a Ranger during this time. Doesn't really brag about anything he did in Army other than the Ranger claim.
Sounds like he left home went to the Army joined the Rangers and came back home after 5 years..(plenty of us turds did that) being a Ranger isn't anything huge or unbelievable or something, unless he's claiming Space Shuttle jumps, or some knee deep in hand grenade pins bullshit.

If he went to Iraq with the Rangers he would have been in 1st Bn. What's he doing that has your feathers all ruffled enough to reach out and look into this?

Last edited by Purgatory; 25 March 2017 at 13:15.
Old 25 March 2017, 14:11
Been There Done That

I was in 1st Batt that time period. Never heard of him. He certainly didn't deploy to Desert Storm unless he's claiming a post 9-11 tour.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 25 March 2017, 14:17
Been There Done That

Is he claiming service in a battalion, or just a graduate of Ranger school? Some Ranger school graduates claim they're "Rangers" when they're really just Ranger qualified.
Old 25 March 2017, 16:31
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I met a guy from the 1st Battalion who was attached to the 24th, I'm sure there were more than that sprinkled throughout the theater.
Old 25 March 2017, 16:48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I met a guy from the 1st Battalion who was attached to the 24th, I'm sure there were more than that sprinkled throughout the theater.
He was a poser. It doesn't work like that.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 25 March 2017, 16:55
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I should clarify, I met him when we went to visit one of the guys from my section who was assigned to the staff of the Asst Div Commander at their TOC.

I'm pretty sure though, as you point out, that you usually don't see Rangers from the various battalions being deployed individually. I'm not sure why that was the case during Desert Shield. Although the ADC did live at Hunter, so perhaps that had something to do with it. Would watch him fly into Stewart every day on a Huey.

Last edited by Spinner; 25 March 2017 at 17:02.
Old 25 March 2017, 18:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
If he went to Iraq with the Rangers he would have been in 1st Bn.
^^^^
This
- a small element of RHQ was (+) to 1st Bn. LTC Wagner was in command. All part of the JSOTF at Ar'ar.
Old 25 March 2017, 23:47
Verified SOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
^^^^
This
- a small element of RHQ was (+) to 1st Bn. LTC Wagner was in command. All part of the JSOTF at Ar'ar.
No doubts
Old 1 May 2017, 11:52

I was in B Co 1/75 when we deployed to Desert Storm. Don't recall a Siler, but I was in mortars. The only Rangers to deploy to Desert Storm was B Co 1/75 with the A Co 3rd Plt and AT section and as Fu King Lawyer states: a small element of RHQ was (+) to 1st Bn.

No other Ranger from Regiment deployed, no Ranger from 1st Battalion who was attached to the 24th, and we didn't use UH1 Huey's while I was there which was '87 to '92.

Now a guy could have left 1/75 and been assigned to the 24th, but that's a different story. Anyone living on HAAF and travelling to Ft Stewart daily would have been in the Aviation BDE as the 24th's Aviation Brigade was on HAAF, as was some of their transport and maintenance units.

Our new posting rules