SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations > Recon Marines

Old 22 November 2019, 20:45
Been There Done That

1st Female Recon Marine

The first WM has earned the 0321 MOS. I've spoken to a few people in the know in recent days and they say she's legit. She got no special treatment and met or exceeded the standards. She still has a way to go with jump/dive/SERE/MFF/etc. but I congratulate her. The real test will be in how she fit's in a team.

https://taskandpurpose.com/female-marine-recon
Old 22 November 2019, 20:47
Been There Done That

Good. Now get back to the unit and do recon sh*t.
Old 22 November 2019, 21:52
Administrator

I thought 8654marine was the first female recon Marine.
Old 22 November 2019, 21:53
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
BOOM!
Old 22 November 2019, 21:58
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Ouch! Lol.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

- I'm not typing this looking for sympathy, I want you guys to listen to your body and if you see or feel something out of the ordinary going on, get it looked at by a competent Doctor. -OldCrustyBastard
Old 22 November 2019, 22:25
Another pool cleaner

Holy shit, that was awesome!

Will miss your sorry ass at reunion, SB.
Old 22 November 2019, 22:27
Administrator

Um, which one? I'm going to the Vegas 1st Force one.
Old 22 November 2019, 22:29
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Um, which one? I'm going to the Vegas 1st Force one.
Yeah, that one. Have fun with your old crew. Got some guys from 2nd going as well.

Bring bail money.
Old 22 November 2019, 23:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
Yeah, that one. Have fun with your old crew. Got some guys from 2nd going as well.

Bring bail money.
They need to start a Go Fund Me for the amount of bail money that weekend will require, I'm flying to PI on the 4th, otherwise I'd be there.
Old 23 November 2019, 10:38
0311/8651

My class was 4 weeks at Horno; orders then to 2nd CAG, RVN.
Some classes were 6 weeks, then orders to Nam

Last edited by CAP MARINE; 23 November 2019 at 10:59. Reason: M
Old 23 November 2019, 10:46
Confirmed User

Not a Recon guy but we all know her work has just barley started. Congrats to the Marine for making it.

I was curiously thinking the other day, knowing that there are quite a few female Marines in Infantry BN's now, how many have attempted and or made the selection for SS Plt's?

Next up is Scout Sniper school I am sure, if hasn't happened already. At this point I just want the best Marines doing the job with no standard changes and no drama if that is possible. But I know that has always been the case and is a lot to ask for even when it was just for male Marines.

Good luck to her and I hope the media drama doesn't follow because the jobs are difficult enough without microscopes and eyeballs up where they don't belong.
Old 23 November 2019, 13:33
BTDT

Quote:
LOL nice! Not coming, damn, it is 2019 and we are more willing to accept these kind of life changes within the community. With that big bank role of yours you could just hop into your jet and be back on Monday ready to hand out more Z packs. Vegas won't know what hit them.
Old 23 November 2019, 13:47
Been There Done That

Good on her.
Old 23 November 2019, 13:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB8541 View Post
Not a Recon guy but we all know her work has just barley started. Congrats to the Marine for making it.

I was curiously thinking the other day, knowing that there are quite a few female Marines in Infantry BN's now, how many have attempted and or made the selection for SS Plt's?

Next up is Scout Sniper school I am sure, if hasn't happened already. At this point I just want the best Marines doing the job with no standard changes and no drama if that is possible. But I know that has always been the case and is a lot to ask for even when it was just for male Marines.

Good luck to her and I hope the media drama doesn't follow because the jobs are difficult enough without microscopes and eyeballs up where they don't belong.
I understand your point, and someone may know if a female has done so. That said-There's a big difference between meeting the stringent prerequisites and then physical/mental screening just to be eligible to attend this primary MOS granting schoolhouse, and getting into a scout sniper plt.
Old 23 November 2019, 14:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
There's a big difference between meeting the stringent prerequisites and then physical/mental screening just to be eligible to attend this primary MOS granting schoolhouse, and getting into a scout sniper plt.
Agreed. Sad but very true (or at least it used to be), not all BN CO's required the same standards needed to attend Scout Sniper school, to be in their SS plt's.

Not having uniform standards for SS Plt's was always a problem across the Fleet and probably still is. I was very fortunate to have had the best of support from BC's while in SS Plt's which was not common.
Old 23 November 2019, 17:10
Been There Done That

Less than 20 female 03XX's in the Corps and none have attended SS. Of note, the 2nd WM to graduate IOC is a ground intelligence officer with 2/7. She also graduated from the Corps’ Scout Sniper Unit Leaders Course, and could one day lead a sniper or recon platoon.
Old 23 November 2019, 21:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
She also graduated from the Corps’ Scout Sniper Unit Leaders Course, and could one day lead a sniper or recon platoon.
Saw that recently in a thread on this site. Thanks for the other info, makes sense just based on numbers that it hasn't happened yet.
Old 10 December 2019, 10:32
Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Less than 20 female 03XX's in the Corps and none have attended SS. Of note, the 2nd WM to graduate IOC is a ground intelligence officer with 2/7. She also graduated from the Corps’ Scout Sniper Unit Leaders Course, and could one day lead a sniper or recon platoon.
You actually stoked my curiosity, and it's a really slow day around here. There are currently 48 female 03XXs, both active and reserve. Of the 45 on active duty, 29 are assigned to Victor units. Of the 24 active component infantry battalions, 11 have female 03XXs assigned. Looks like 1st Marines is the only regiment that does not have any female 03XX. 1st and 3rd LAR both have a female 0313 as well.

There are another 12 in the pipeline at SOI East.

Anyway, congrats to the young Marine. Most of the guys in my shop are 0321s, so I've been hearing snippets of her progress throughout BRC.
"This is how it is when the war machine rolls back and forth. You take your pleasure where you can and when you can, and let the circumstances be damned. For tomorrow you may be somewhere else." - Cass

"I understand all of the words you used, but I don't know what you just said." - Gen. Hagee speaking to the MEU S-3
Old 21 January 2020, 13:46
Been There Done That

It's impressive, and it opens possibility to a lot of speculation down the road. You already have to deal with self doubts about the situations you get in with commanders and missions regarding personnel and personalities. There going to be a lot of extra room for pondering.
Old 21 January 2020, 15:01
Administrator

For me, the question is always "Is the Corps (Army, Navy, USAF) stronger overall because she is there?"

My opinion in every single case has always been no. The list of reasons women shouldn't be in those slots is long. The only reason anyone can tell me about why they SHOULD be in those slots is so we are "Fair" in giving those opportunities. But, the military was never designed to be "Fair". It's not designed to make sure that you as an individual get what you want. The priority should always be the greater good. Not what's "fair" to a few select individuals. I know that is not politically correct to say. Don't care. I have known many females who were top of the line soldiers, and who were some of the best at the jobs they did. Some are on this site. But there are some jobs in the military that placing women in creates more problems than it's worth, and if the net overall effect is that the negative outweighs the positive on the force, then it shouldn't happen. Fair or not, shouldn't even be a consideration of the decision. Not in our military.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top

Our new posting rules