SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Post Exchange

Old 22 November 2017, 10:44
Confirmed User

Drinking my first production roast this morning! Really nice purple plum notes, blueberry, pineapple, and the jasmine florals are beautiful, not subtle at all. I <3 dry process Ethiopias....

Pappy's. I gotta try it someday.....
Old 23 November 2017, 09:44
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Drinking my first production roast this morning! Really nice purple plum notes, blueberry, pineapple, and the jasmine florals are beautiful, not subtle at all. I <3 dry process Ethiopias....

Pappy's. I gotta try it someday.....
Well Iím not a bourbon fan so me liking Pappyís this much should tell you how good it is.

Guess the husband will just have to be pissed at me spending more $$$ on the Ethiopian. Itís not like we canít afford it. He just doesnít like coffee, alcohol or guns. Oh shit!!! I think I married an alien.

If he liked the above he wouldnít care. Heís a gadget guy so him spending $$$ on them is okay even if I think some of them are stupid. But if it makes him happy then Iím all for it.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 27 November 2017, 14:38
Confirmed User

I love me some bourbon, Buffalo Trace is damn good for $22. I'm sure pappy's is better, but ouch dem prices.

Today, 1-9lbs is $3.99 shipping, plus 20% off Costa Rica La Minita with code 'CyberMonday'.

http://www.westcoastroasting.com/costa-rica-la-minita/
Old 27 November 2017, 18:13
This Is The Way

^^^^ I'll be placing an order tonight.

For some x-thread points. On my hike/camp outing this past weekend, I brought along some ground Kona and Kenya. The jetboil camp stoves have a french-press attachment for coffee. That coffee first thing in the chilly morning, out in the woods, was almost perfect.
Old 27 November 2017, 22:21
?

Poison/all, need some help choosing an espresso machine. I've read through some of the recommendations in this thread, but most are fairly old and I don't know if there is anything new/different.

Budget: roughly $1K, maybe $1,500 if there is a must have. If I can get something great for $500 I'm happy to spend less.

Needs: complete set-up for espresso shots, lattes, breves, etc... would like it to be fairly simple and straightforward. I'm ok experimenting a little to get things going, but I don't want it to be a 15 step process every time I go to make a coffee.

Limitations: don't have a ton of space as it will be in my office. Could probably devote 2-3' of total counter space for it.

Other info: will be personal use only. Will probably do 2-3 dinks/day when I'm there, maybe average 1/day total.

This semi-auto has somewhat caught my eye, but I'm not so confident on quality.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/pr...resso%20Makers

"OK, thankfully my wife doesn't read SOCNET -- something to do with it being filled with likeminded, immature people. Fuck her." - SOTB
Old 28 November 2017, 02:18
Confirmed User

For that budget? Here:

https://www.wholelattelove.com/gaggi...ials-doserless

It's never a good idea to get a machine/grinder in one. The grinder is inferior quality, and when it breaks....you're out the whole machine. The Gaggia is the best beginner/budget espresso machine, and the Rocky is a tank that grinds great for espresso and drip needs. It does have clicks for adjustment, which can be a negative for espresso brewing, but a positive if you switch between brew methods. THe Classic heats up fast, and will do what you want it to on the lowest budget. It's common and easy to swap out the steam wand for a Silvia steam wand. WLL might even do it for you, dunno.
Old 28 November 2017, 14:53
?

Thanks Poison.

"OK, thankfully my wife doesn't read SOCNET -- something to do with it being filled with likeminded, immature people. Fuck her." - SOTB
Old 29 November 2017, 18:45
Confirmed User

No problem, post up with whatever you buy!
Old 29 November 2017, 22:05
?

I went with your exact recommendation along with an aluminum tamper. I saw that model earlier in the thread and debated it, your comments closed the deal. I was torn between doser and doserless grinder, but went with doserless. Seemed like the right way to go to have fresh coffee with the sporadic use I'll give it. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive!

Old 30 November 2017, 02:12
Confirmed User

Very nice man. If you ever give up espresso, the rocky is great for drip, unlike most espresso grinders. And if you upgrade machines, it'll still work well.
Old 30 November 2017, 02:47
Red Headed Stepchild

My guys downrange are digging the coffee man. Thanks for the quick shipment!
Old 30 November 2017, 12:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
My guys downrange are digging the coffee man. Thanks for the quick shipment!
Outstanding, that makes me happy. It's the little things that count, for those guys....
Old 8 December 2017, 11:53
Confirmed User

http://www.westcoastroasting.com/roastmasters-choice/

4lbs of coffee + a free $20 Clever dripper (or 5th lb of coffee, if you prefer) for $94 shipped. Total value is $115.
Old 8 December 2017, 13:57
Authorized Personnel

Just to reiterate: your coffee is really, truly excellent. Keep up the good work. I love supporting veterans coffee companies, and will continue to do so, but yours is my #1.
Old 9 December 2017, 16:37
Confirmed User

Thank you, I really appreciate that!
Old 12 December 2017, 01:09
This Is The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
Just to reiterate: your coffee is really, truly excellent. Keep up the good work. I love supporting veterans coffee companies, and will continue to do so, but yours is my #1.
I have to agree with CV. Best coffee I've ever had - and you continue to deliver it on a consistent basis.
Old 12 December 2017, 10:34
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
I have to agree with CV. Best coffee I've ever had - and you continue to deliver it on a consistent basis.
Many thanks for all the support and comments!

I know what I'm getting KidA for xmas. It'll go well with his turtleneck and vespa:

https://www.briping.com

Old 13 December 2017, 03:43
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Many thanks for all the support and comments!

I know what I'm getting KidA for xmas. It'll go well with his turtleneck and vespa:

https://www.briping.com

Damn you Poison! You KNOW Iím gonna have to get one to play with. And you know who is gonna be pissed I am going to blow $60 just to try the damn thing once. Oh well it can go in my weird ways to brew coffee collection.

He still hasnít forgiven you about the Astra. Though that I use almost daily.

Ohhh Kona cappuccinos tomorrow!

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 13 December 2017, 08:53
Confirmed User

Lol, if you do, please take pics or videos and post, it'll be hilarious!
Old 17 December 2017, 16:52
Confirmed User

If you need coffee by Xmas, get your orders in for tomorrow's roast session, and it'll ship Tues.

Our new posting rules